13 replies to this topic

#1 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

I am very nuetral about the off-season so far. I'm not however one of those people who believes we should sign every top flight free agent that becomes available. The release of Wharton instead of Davis puzzles me. I would have cut him and restructured Wharton and then signed Jason Jones (who signed a reasonable 1 yr deal) but the bed has been made. So with that said lets mock some draft action.

Draft:

1st Round: David Decastro G

The realease of Wharton really cemented the need to draft Decastro at 9 IMO. The number of people that count this as a possibility you could probably count on one hand but it just makes too much sense to me. You don't go and release a good player unless you have a plan to replace him (which I hope is not what we have already signed). The "G's don't go top 10" argument is no argument at all. In almost every mock I have seen he goes to the Chiefs at 11 so a whole 2 spots later. Decastro is the best G prospect in a decade and is the only player that will be available that will be elite day 1. Every other prospect people want based on potential but they all have question marks. Decastro does not. He is an elite prospect and the only one that will be available when we pick. BPA and at a position of need. No brainer to me. And for you Brockers fan boys out there check out my 4th round pick.

2nd Round: Trumaine Johnson CB

I would trade back to the end of the 2nd and aquire a 4th and 5th and select Tru here. As I have said all offseason 6'2 205 lbs Trumaine Johnson is my Fav CB prospect in this draft. He is a converted receiver and thus has tremendous ball skills and at his size he can fight for the ball. He has excellent potential in both man and zone (however he is very inexperienced in zone) and hes big enough to cover just about any receiver. Doesn't have elite speed (4.50) but can keep up with all but the fastest receivers. He plays with physicality in the run game but to often goes for the big play instead of wrapping up. Johnson has the potential to be one of the best DB's in this draft.

4th Round Pick 1: Keenan Robinson OLB

Robinson is 6'3 240 lbs and is an excellent fit at Weakside LB (in other words TD insurance). He plays nasty and that will result in the occasional penalty but to me thats a good thing not a bad one (I like my LB to lay the wood on players and make O players fear them). He has excellent sideline to sideline speed and is a solid tackler. He is also solid in pass coverage but he was never asked to pass rush often so is raw in that regard. All in all he is well rounded WLB that has the potential to develop into a great player. Why he is projected to go in the 4th is beyond me.

4th Roun Pick 2: Akiem Hicks UT

All the way from the Canada I would like to introduce you to Brockers with a 4th-5th round grade. He's a beast at 6'5" 320. He has some surprising good moves he showed off at the Shrine game and is a tremendous athlete. I view him as Brockers without the risk (and inronically he would have proabably played with him if not for a Recruiting screwup). With the right coaching he could be a stud at 3 tech. If you haven't heard of him check out this vid. Big time sleeper at a position of need.

[yt]9QjwRWvPlDk[/yt}

#2 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

5th round Pick 1: Devon Wylie WR/KR

Playmaker is the best way to describe Wylie. Wether at WR or KR he has some insane change of direction skills that have broken a ton of ankles. A lot of people compare him to Welker but he is one of a kind. I have never seen such crazy COD skills and his sub 4.4 40 puts him at a higher top end speed as well. What makes him even more impressive is how pateint he is at setting up his moves waiting to the best time to make a guy miss. We have already shown interest in him and I can't wait to see how Chud gets this kid the ball. Beast here folks.

5th round Pick 2: Vontaze Burfict MLB

In all my years of scouting (albeit unproffesionally) I have never seen a prospect fall this far this fast. I believe the kid is not a bad guy just misunderstood. I believe when hes on that field he just wants to rip some heads off some Qbs/RBs and that can lead to costly penalities (his Combine was a freak occurrence watch the tape you can see when he goes all out hes a athlete). Consider he hasn't even had a ticket in the whole time at ASU let alone been arrested.
He is the definiton of a high rish high reward type player but in the 5th the risk is so unsubstantial I believe the potential rewards are worth it. I believe he is going to come into the league with a boulder on his shouldur because of this fall. With the loss of Connor we need depth at MLB and Burfict could be excellent fit there and Beason would be an excellent role model and there will be no one left at LB at this point that has anywhere near his upside. Not to mention he should be a beast on ST. Big Risk I'll admit but could be a huge home run as well.

6th Round Pick 1: Evan Rodriguez FB/HB/TE

Rodriguez is one of those guys that would be classified as a tweener. At 6'2 237 he is on the small side to be an everydown TE but he can line up all over the O. At H-back, in line TE, split our wide, or even as a lead blocker (hell in a pinch could probably be a RB). He's a solid catcher, runs good routes, and is a great blocker. His versatility is off the charts and thats why no question I would draft him. Chud will find ways of getting this guy involved in the O.

6th Round Pick Comp Pick: Darron Thomas QB

People might go huh but I think this kid is special. Watching his tape reminds me so much at the amazement when I first watched Cam. He really is a poor mans Cam and would be an excellent backup that could fit in with the current Newton Attack we use now (with the exception of goal line but isnt that why we signed Tolbert). Anderson is a great backup in case of a serious injury but what if Newton just gets a stinger and just comes out for a quarter or maybe a game or two. Thomas would excel in that situation.

To me where teams always make a mistake when they start really investing there playbook in a dual threat QB (see Vick in Atlanta) with a pocket passing backup. It causes all kinds of hell when there is no one that can run the offense most of the playcalling is geared to. A dual-threat needs a dual threat backup in my opinion and no one fits the bill better then Thomas. I'm leaving 2 links one from 2010 and one from 2011 check them out he has some serious potential in this offense.

2010:

2011:

7th Round: Matt Conrath DE

Conrath played out of position his entire career at Va. Lining him up at UT at 6'7” 280 makes you wonder what there smoking. He is ideally suited for strong-side DE in our scheme (or 5 tech in a 3-4). He is excellent against the run but considering he lined up at DT his whole career its hard to project how he will be at pass rushing coming off the edge. He has outstanding athleticism for a man of his size and has long arms to boot. Also one added bonus he is terrific at blocking Fgs. I see him as a RE on running downs and occasionally kick him inside on pass downs with Hardy at DE (as well as rotation with Johnson and Conrath on run downs. Reminds me a lot of Calais Campbell.

UDFA:

Shawn Powell P

We need a Punter and I believe Powell is it. He led the nation's with a 47.0 yard average. He lead the nation in net punting as well. Powell has dropped 43-percent of his kicks inside the opponents' 20. He changed the game against Florida with booming punts the led to FSU's defense being in great field position to thwart the Gators offense.

Randy Bullock K

Bullock, 5'10 205, won the Lou Groza Award as college football's top kicker last season. He made 25 of 28 field goals, including a 52-yarder vs. Texas. He also handled KO with 33% TB and a 65 yard avg. Competition for Mare.

Stay tuned in the next day or two I will come out with a priority UDFA list that goes into more detail.

#3 arc

arc

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

People won't like Decastro but this draft would greatly improve das team

#4 kman72

kman72

Sports Maniac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

overall i like your draft, not so much on Qb from oregon but with a comp pick its would be worth the risk. prolly would take the punter there though.

#5 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

not sure why so many people have ANY interest in darron thomas/jordan jefferson. they are downright awful.

#6 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

I don't really see a the need to target a QB late. We have Cam who is young so why do we need to groom a QB who in theory would never see playing time under Cam.

I guess I'd take Thomas if we wanted to target one in the 7th but Jefferson would be off my radar altogether.

#7 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

not sure why so many people have ANY interest in darron thomas/jordan jefferson. they are downright awful.

I love how posters on here year in and year out say a guy is bad or awful and give absoulutley no reasoning as to why they think so. Thats like me calling you an idiot having never met you. Thomas has all the athletic ability in the world and can excel in our O. He has a pretty strong arm and at times has uncanny ball placement. The only thing I question because I honestly don't have enough info is how much love he has for the game. BTW I said the exact same thing about Cam last year. If Thomas has the kind of work ethic as Cam thats a no-brainer to me you take him at 6th.

I don't really see a the need to target a QB late. We have Cam who is young so why do we need to groom a QB who in theory would never see playing time under Cam.

I guess I'd take Thomas if we wanted to target one in the 7th but Jefferson would be off my radar altogether.

I don't want Thomas as a starter, Cam has that Job just as well as any QB in the league (Rodgers, Brady, Brees included). He is an ideal backup for Cam. If we develop him behind Cam and he gets some playing time we could be looking at a Cassel/Shaub type trade situation.

#8 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

I don't want Thomas as a starter, Cam has that Job just as well as any QB in the league (Rodgers, Brady, Brees included). He is an ideal backup for Cam. If we develop him behind Cam and he gets some playing time we could be looking at a Cassel/Shaub type trade situation.

I realize that, never said you did. But I don't see a need in drafting a QB especially of the "caliber" of Thomas. It's not like he is the ideal prospect where he'd be head and shoulders over a UDFA QB. I feel like it be better used on a position of need.

#9 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

I realize that, never said you did. But I don't see a need in drafting a QB especially of the "caliber" of Thomas. It's not like he is the ideal prospect where he'd be head and shoulders over a UDFA QB. I feel like it be better used on a position of need.

He's the ideal prospect for us. There is no other team in the league as focused on the dual-threat QB as us. Which is why he will go this late. Who is a better fit in this draft (aside from maybe RG3)?

#10 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

You don't need to be a dual-threat QB to be in this offense. That's just an added bonus for Cam.

#11 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

You don't need to be a dual-threat QB to be in this offense. That's just an added bonus for Cam.

Ask the Falcons how that worked out for them. The O will inevitably add more and more plays trying to take advantage of Cams uncanny athletism. Players will be brought in to maximize that ability as well. With that kind of investment the backup QB needs to be dual-threat as well.

#12 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Well then we need to get rid of Anderson and Clausen.

I really doubt Chud is going to make such increase in running plays, we are trying to protect Cam. I'll take the occasional read option and QB sneak near the goal line but this offense isn't going to turn into anything much different. Yes, the offense is designed to take advantage of Cam's strengths and abilities but he is one hell of thrower who likes to stay in the pocket and only as a last resort, takes off. It's nice that he is mobile and can withstand hits but we aren't going to go out of our way to increase those possibilities.

Our backup QB isn't going to be required to come in and run all the stuff that Cam does in terms of the read option. He will need to be able to understand the system and be able to take advantage of the vertical passing game but the dual-threat is just really an added bonus.

#13 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

I love how posters on here year in and year out say a guy is bad or awful and give absoulutley no reasoning as to why they think so. (1)Thats like me calling you an idiot having never met you. Thomas has all the athletic ability in the world and can excel in our O. (2)He has a pretty strong arm and at times has uncanny ball placement. The only thing I question because I honestly don't have enough info is how much love he has for the game. BTW I said the exact same thing about Cam last year. If Thomas has the kind of work ethic as Cam thats a no-brainer to me you take him at 6th.

1. not at all
2. no

didn't think i would need to explain why they are downright awful. they can't throw the ball ANYWHERE NEAR an nfl level. more-so jefferson, but darron thomas is not that great either.

either way, i'd rather have derek anderson play.

#14 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

hoping for either Adams, Bradham, or Robinson in the 4th.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com