14 replies to this topic

#1 BeerMe

BeerMe

In Chico We Trust.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

The Carolina Panthers got defensive with their first-round selection in the 2012 NFL Draft by selecting linebacker Luke Kuechly out of Boston College with the ninth overall pick.

Luke Kuechly, the winner of the Butkus Award as the nation's top collegiate linebacker and the Bronko Nagurski Award as the best overall defensive player in college football in 2011, adds much needed depth and talent to a Carolina Panthers linebacker corps that was decimated by injuries in 2011.

Though the Panthers did not draft either of the positions where they need the most help, defensive tackle and cornerback, they did select the best available player in Luke Kuechly and they upgraded their defense after finishing the season ranked 28th overall in 2011.

As I mentioned in my final Carolina Panthers mock draft, Luke Kuechley is a tackling machine who will give the Panthers one of the most feared linebacker corps in the NFL playing alongside Jon Beason, James Anderson and Thomas Davis.

In a pre-draft press conference last week, Panthers head coach Ron Rivera indicated that Carolina would pick a player who will be a major contributor right from the start, and they are getting that in Kuechly.

Though Beason and Davis are both expected to be healthy in 2012 after suffering season-ending injuries early in the 2011 season, the Panthers must be concerned about Thomas Davis' health and his ability to fully recover from a third ACL injury to play in the NFL—something that has never been done before.

Marty Hurney and Ron Rivera got the Carolina Panthers' draft off to a great start.

Overall Grade: A+

33 straight games of ten-plus tackles! Thrilled we got the anti-Coples!!!

#2 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,751 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

I think we nailed the pick, agree with A+.

#3 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

Yea, I don't think he was being objective. I gave us a B. I thought about B+.

This was not an A+ pick, just my opinion being objective. And I really like Kuechly.

http://bleacherrepor...of-luke-kuechly

There's my article which is a contract to Jimmy's.

#4 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,068 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Leave it to the Huddle to be man-crushing on Coples and have a distaste for Kuechley.

NC is still ACC basketball country apparently.

#5 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,356 posts
  • LocationShotgun Shack

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

Though Beason and Davis are both expected to be healthy in 2012 after suffering season-ending injuries early in the 2011 season, the Panthers must be concerned about Thomas Davis' health and his ability to fully recover from a third ACL injury to play in the NFL—something that has never been done before

huh? :wacko:

#6 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,751 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

huh? :wacko:

What don't you get? Looks pretty accurate to me.

#7 section543

section543

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

I think when we look back at this draft, FO/Rivera must have thought there was NO A+ left at #9

#8 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

I wish TD the best, but 3 ACLs is hardcore. I hope I am wrong, but I wouldn't bet money that he finishes the season. He hasn't been able to get any significant playing time since the first tear. I tore my ACL and it is the real deal.

#9 caatfan

caatfan

full of it

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Matt Miller, on the same site, gave us a D. <_< I prefer this guy's take.

#10 G()AT

G()AT

The Greatest of All Time

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

Grade: D

Luke Kuechly, Inside Linebacker, Boston College
The Panthers needed to go defense, but the smarter pick would have been Stephon Gilmore (CB, South Carolina) or a defensive tackle. The fact that they drafted an inside linebacker has us shaking our heads in the B/R war room.
Kuechly is a good athlete, but the huge gap at defensive tackle won't help this catch-and-tackle type linebacker who lacks the strength to take on blockers and make plays.

http://bleacherrepor...rt-card/page/10

#11 GotSwag?

GotSwag?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

People act like we cant draft a corner or DT today.

#12 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

Bleacher Report is a joke, why even bother?

Kuechly fills the hole at LB - our LB corps sucked last year. Rivera invested two third rounders on DTs and will have Ron Edwards back. The DT play will be better this year. Hogan will be 100% and Hardy should be better. We're stacked on D.

#13 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,751 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Bleacher Report is a joke, why even bother?

Kuechly fills the hole at LB - our LB corps sucked last year. Rivera invested two third rounders on DTs and will have Ron Edwards back. The DT play will be better this year. Hogan will be 100% and Hardy should be better. We're stacked on D.

This.

#14 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,357 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Bleacher report is a joke..... No different than linking to a post I made on this board or a Luke hater made here.

That said, I'd go A-.

#15 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Did this thread really have three BR articles linked? What the fug???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com