#1 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationCharlotte-Mint HIll, NC

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:37 AM

State of the Art Retractable roof and all! 20 year old Georgia Dome is outdated and to be torn down.

http://msn.foxsports...-stadium-042612

In talks Wednesday with state officials, the team said it was no longer pursuing a new $700 million open-air stadium, instead proposing the construction of a $947.7 million, state-of-the-art stadium.

BofA Stadium opened in 1984? How soon will the Carolina Panthers want a new stadium?

#2 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

there is already talk of the Panthers possibly getting a new stadium in the near future. I saw a picture a couple months ago of Jerry Richardson and the owner of a construction/architech company or something like that standing on the property where a new stadium would be built one day if it is.

#3 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

1996 was the first season at BOA.

#4 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'd rather have open air. We play and live in Atlanta for fug's sake.

#5 BlanksKarma

BlanksKarma

Falcons Loser

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

I'd rather have open air. We play and live in Atlanta for fug's sake.

Yeah, we can't get people into their seats before the end of the 1st quarter as it is.

The stadium would be half empty, any time there was inclement weather. A roof is a must for our less than stellar fan-base.

#6 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

I didn't know the Panthers joined the NFL in the 80's.

#7 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, we can't get people into their seats before the end of the 1st quarter as it is.

The stadium would be half empty, any time there was inclement weather. A roof is a must for our less than stellar fan-base.

True.

#8 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,916 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

It's only 20 years old? Good god.

#9 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

there is already talk of the Panthers possibly getting a new stadium in the near future. I saw a picture a couple months ago of Jerry Richardson and the owner of a construction/architech company or something like that standing on the property where a new stadium would be built one day if it is.

i feel like if it was up to richardson we'll only feel compelled to build a new stadium when the old one starts looking like the coliseum

#10 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Panthers stadium was built in 1993. Stadiums need major reconstruction ($100-$200m) every 25 years. Consider that Carolina sold out every game in the last 10 years (even during 2-14 season) it only make sense to increase stadium capacity from 73,000 to around 100,000. Also, reconstruction money would come from Jerry Richardson while brand new stadium would be paid by tax payers. Jerry Richardson wins big time with new stadium. Also, if reconstruction takes place, tickets prices will see significant increase and if new stadium is funded by tax payers, ticket prices will actually decrease if more sits added. The Panthers will need a new stadium by 2018. It takes about 2 years for new stadium to be built so the decision should be made by 2014-2015. Also, the City of Charlotte already holds a big piece of land in downtown Charlotte for new stadium.

#11 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Also, the City of Charlotte already holds a big piece of land in downtown Charlotte for new stadium.

The city of Charlotte doesn't own land in downtown that would be suitable for a stadium.

The largest tracts of land in downtown are on W. Morehead street, which was just purchased by Charlotte Pipe a few months ago for $22 million. This land is a part of their expansion plans and they are currently erecting a fence on this land. They will soon build a corporate centerish looking entrance and will install landscaping that will hide the fencing and their operations.

Even if the Panthers wanted to buy it, this piece of land would be unsuitable for a stadium because there are several miles of gold mine shafts from the St. Catherine's Mine that operated there until the 1880s. The land is too unstable to support a structure the size of a football stadium.

Most of the land in First Ward that is undeveloped is owned by the Levine family and slated to become mixed-use.

3rd Ward will lose its remaining sizable chunks of land when Romare Bearden Park is constructed on what used to be the Huddle's tailgate spot and the Knights Stadium is built across the street. Neither of these areas were big enough for an NFL stadium anyway.

4th Ward has no land and it is a historic district anyway.

There are maybe a few spots in SouthEnd right off of W. Morehead Street that fall just outside of downtown that would be of sufficient size (with demolition of a few buildings), but you run into a parking problem there.

If the Panthers ever decide to move, they will no locate in downtown again. They will locate somewhere that they will own the parking. They are missing out of millions of dollars of revenue every year because they do not own any of the parking around the stadium now. Meanwhile, teams like the Skins and the Cowboys are cleaning up by charging 100 dollars for a premium parking spot.

If the Panthers remain where they are, they will encounter a parking problem in the near future too. Just this year three large parking lots have been ripped up and the others will be in the future. It is inevitable that they will be turned into offices or housing.

I personally don't see the Panthers building a new stadium any time soon. We won't fill a 100,000 seat stadium. The only reason the Panthers have had so many sellouts is because 91.6% of seats are owned by PSL owners. That means almost 92% of seats are guaranteed to sellout each season. Despite this, we've still had a close call just trying to sell the remaining 8% of seats on several occasions.

#12 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Would you All prefer open air or retractable roof? My only experience with rr stadiums is at minute maid park. When it's 100 degrees with 95% humidity they close her up and turn on the ac. Also, when the stros made their world series run they would close the roof regardless to make it louder. And it was fuging loud. It makes sense in baseball and I think it would help sell tickets with the cats.

#13 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Panthers aint getting a new stadium no time soon. They'll keep renovating BOA til it falls apart.

#14 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Panthers aint getting a new stadium no time soon. They'll keep renovating BOA til it falls apart.

I think as long as Jerry is alive they will not pursue a new stadium.

Who knows what will happen when someone new is running the show though.

I hope they stay at BoA. I'd love to buck the trend of demanding new stadiums every 20 years and have a historic venue like the Bears and Packers.

I love BoA right now. There are upgrades that could be make certainly, but nothing that would require a reconstruction of the stadium.

#15 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Didn't they do upgrades this off season?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com