Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What On Earth Is Hurney Thinking?

53 posts in this topic

Posted

Sir, it is obvious that your presence has been sorely missed here. I only hope and pray that your sage wisdom rubs off on some of the newer guys around here. It has been pretty intolerable with the occasional Mr. Scott insight to offer a ray of hope. Perhaps the two of you can turn the tide of perpetual Jerry Springer mob that has plagued us for this insufferable off-season.

1 person likes this

Posted

Sir, it is obvious that your presence has been sorely missed here. I only hope and pray that your sage wisdom rubs off on some of the newer guys around here. It has been pretty intolerable with the occasional Mr. Scott insight to offer a ray of hope. Perhaps the two of you can turn the tide of perpetual Jerry Springer mob that has plagued us for this insufferable off-season.

can I get an amen?

Posted

Honestly, it's hard to be mad about this. We had more pressing needs, but the gaps filled with Kuechly and the guard were pressing needs, just not as much, and both were great picks. As long as we got our punter, that's what matters most.

Posted

And I can't make a thread supporting and explaining why Silatolu was a great pick?

Posted

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I mention how the 'experts' grade drafts:

Now, mind you HE is the one that sets the team 'needs'... We addressed the linebackers exceptionally... We addressed the receivers with an explosive threat... Added a DE that has the potential to contribute significantly... And we addressed the DB's with two value selections... That alone (again by Mel's own analysis) addresses 80% of the 'needs' defined... Yet the grade is a C for how well we drafted based on 'need'... To me, this is a head scratcher... While I am never a fan of drafting based on needs, I fully believe we had at the very least an above average draft in terms of how well we addressed the needs of the team... Also, Mel has labelled our 'top need' as DT... This is a subjective point of view, and short-sights the fact that we played two rookies (who played like you'd expect rookies to play) all season, and missed a complete year from a solid veteran DT... Taking the big picture into consideration (which I don't personally feel was adequately done in this analysis), is DT really the biggest need? I agree, of course, that it would have been nice to have added another body here, but are we really at a point where we should give up on the youngsters after 16 games? And no points for getting the veteran back? Wow... Tough crowd, Mel... Tough crowd...

Seems like he (and many others) forgot that Ron Edwards is still on our roster. DT was a need for sure, but we havent been able to have all of our LBs or our OL make it through a season in how long?

Posted

Thank you for the great write up. Ive been guilty of bad mouthing hurney and his drafts but after taking an objective approach I can definately say I believe this team is stronger after this most recent draft. I cant wait to see how much we've improved especially our special teams. Guys drafted seem like they are high motor guys that will be hungary to prove that they fit. I think the panthers have a great future, and a lot of credit has to go to Marty Hurney.

Posted

Nance, you are the sole reason I joined the Huddle so many years ago. I read one of your writes, watched you play the thread nicely, and I was hooked.

Thank you for your insights. This article is a winner as usual. Post more often, please!

Posted

Well said Nance. Your insight is missed around here.

Posted

I think we potentially got 5-6 starting caliber players out of this draft including punter. The only guy we drafting that I don't see starting is Campbell. But he will contribute greatly on ST.

Posted

Nance, glad you are back.

Need is one thing. Strength in critical positions is another thing all together.

Every year, I wait for the Panthers to get what the NY Giants understand about defense. The DLINE is were it starts and ends on defense and every year they fail to get it.

While the Panthers fail to get it, the Giants get rings.

Is Guard worthy of a 2nd round pick...God help the PSL holders.

The Panthers, despite what the homers say, at best have a 2nd =3rd tier Dline and 3rd tier cornerbacks.

The pressure that Newton is going to feel to put up points is going to be ridiculous.

Here's to the hope and prayer that Hogan becomes the cornerback they think he will be. That Johnson shows up. That the rest of the no name Dline suddenly plays like they know how to get to the QB and that all the injured return and play above their skill level.

I'm not buying it. Fletcher Cox would have made that defense a helluva a lot better than a ILB who is not known for his coverage skills.

...oh wait, the special teams will be better....and Mare is still here...OK....Championship.

1 person likes this

Posted

Nance, glad you are back.

Need is one thing. Strength in critical positions is another thing all together.

Every year, I wait for the Panthers to get what the NY Giants understand about defense. The DLINE is were it starts and ends on defense and every year they fail to get it.

While the Panthers fail to get it, the Giants get rings.

Is Guard worthy of a 2nd round pick...God help the PSL holders.

The Panthers, despite what the homers say, at best have a 2nd =3rd tier Dline and 3rd tier cornerbacks.

The pressure that Newton is going to feel to put up points is going to be ridiculous.

Here's to the hope and prayer that Hogan becomes the cornerback they think he will be. That Johnson shows up. That the rest of the no name Dline suddenly plays like they know how to get to the QB and that all the injured return and play above their skill level.

I'm not buying it. Fletcher Cox would have made that defense a helluva a lot better than a ILB who is not known for his coverage skills.

...oh wait, the special teams will be better....and Mare is still here...OK....Championship.

I could live with the BPA argument if it meant we eventually addressed critical weaknesses, but we ignored DT for way too many years for there to be any logical possibility of more than just Fua and McClain falling to us in the draft. Surely since Jenkins there must have been a way to get another competent DT, but our scouting there seems to be terribly lacking.

Posted

I could live with the BPA argument if it meant we eventually addressed critical weaknesses, but we ignored DT for way too many years for there to be any logical possibility of more than just Fua and McClain falling to us in the draft. Surely since Jenkins there must have been a way to get another competent DT, but our scouting there seems to be terribly lacking.

The DT's there in the second round were NOT upgrades to the young guys we already have.