Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Dt - It Isn't Quite As Bad As You Think.

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#46 Third Degree

Third Degree

Come back soon, 89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts
  • Location704

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Are Shirley or Kearse on the team presently?

#47 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,325 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

If you look at the Panthers D our Super Bowl year we had several no names playing key roles for us. You don't need a stud in every position. Just solid talent and a few unexpected surprises. Think about it, Reggi Howard? Greg Favors? We loves Will Witherspoon but he hasn't done much since he left. Ricky Manning played great that season but his career fell apart in a few years.

All we need is our stars to stay healthy and a couple scrubs to play above expectations.

#48 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,498 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

Kearse was a rookie as well,and other rookies started just as many games as Fua and Mcclain without the offseason and ota.i hope they have progressed as well,but damn if they didnt get abused last year.

#49 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,628 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

Panthers went to a SB with Jordan Carstens playing at a high level in DT. Not a big numbers guys, but good enough to take up space and let the pass rush/LBs do work.

Carstens could of had a longer career if he didn't get sick.

no they didn't. carstens started after jenkins blew out his acl against the saints in 2005, and we eventually got gashed by the Seahawks in the championship game

#50 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

no they didn't. carstens started after jenkins blew out his acl against the saints in 2005, and we eventually got gashed by the Seahawks in the championship game

yeah you're right about that one. Prob getting close to bed time for me.

Would love to have Carstens now though.

#51 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,673 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

But but but I've watched every game, I surely know more about the players than the coach, right?

Right?

#52 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

I didn't even realize Kearse and Shirley's stats were that solid with limited play.

#53 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,723 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

Some of us were saying that we would not draft a DT as far back as February. For those who did not see this in a previous post:

Fact: Few --very few--DTs do well in their rookie seasons. So why do you suggest drafting a rookie?

Fua 23 (age)
McClain 23
Kearse 23
Neblett 23
Shirley 26 (entering second season)
Edwards 32

By drafting a player you prolong the problem. By bringing in a veteran, you stunt growth. Rivera is a straight shooter. He told everyone to pay attention to the last six games. That is what they were going by---not the entire season. We held offenses to under 100 yards a game rushing during the last six games.

To me, this was SO obvious. I know the press was screaming for a DT. The press looks at stat sheets. They do not care about IR or developing youth. The only way we benefit from being one of the youngest teams in the NFL last year is to let them develop. We will be fine.

By the way:
Alexander 22
Hardy 23
Keiser 23
Norwood 23
CJohnson 25
Applewhite 26

--Panther.com

#54 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

Yep.

If they and Neblett can become starters after that good stretch they had late season, then all the better. If our run defense opening the season is as bad as last year though with Fua and McClain then I, and many others I imagine, will be up in arms about the absence of DT in this draft.

#55 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 11,994 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

We wil go through camp and pre season with what we have, and if they aren't doing good enough, they will be cut and we will sign another guy or 2 off free agency. That is what happens every year.

#56 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

Good question...I saw kearse was an exclusive rights free agent or some ish like that, Shirley should still be on the roster

#57 NCstoner420

NCstoner420

Dave's not here man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

Yes, Kearse is signed through 2014 and Shirley through next season.

#58 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

We should keep our eyes open June 1st for an available 3-tech. I like Neblett, but McClain didn't show very well.

As for Fua, we have enough ahead of him that he can be brought along slowly. He definitely wasn't ready last year.

#59 x djdrew x

x djdrew x

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

i really want to see the progression all of these young guys make. This will be the first time in their careers that they have had a real NFL offseason and/or the same coaching staff. Same goes with Cam....first time since HS he's had the same OC two years in a row........you gotta believe the improvement our team will make can be substantial.

2010 we were the youngest team in the league and by God it showed.
2011 was a year of transition with a rookie phenom QB and entirely new system for everyone.
2012 is naturally the year that this whole young group takes a profound step forward.
Kearse and Shirley actually did quite well I thought considering they were the replacements for a pair of 3rd round rookies. I actually thought that they looked more like our 3rd round picks rather than McClain and Fua. It was almost night and day. Kinda scary but they definitely stepped up their game and you could tell they were hungry and fighting for respect and a future roster spot.

If we don't see improvement across the board on the DL tho, I suppose everyone clamoring for more DL and CB help will get their wish in 2013.

Some also still are moaning us taking a LB in the first, but if anything, this SHOULD make our line better. Last year when we had Dan Connor and Jordan Senn starting at LB, it almost didn't matter what the DL did, they were pretty terrible and if we can maintain health at LB, our d-line SHOULD automatically improve.

I believe that we haven't fully even seen how good (?) the defense can play with Mr. Beason manning the center of the field and calling the shots with all of these new additions for most if not all of the season. If our guys see solid progression and we have another equally solid draft next year, this defense could actually be scary good going into 2013 and beyond.

#60 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

im worried about the run defense. particularly the big gains we gave off the edges last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.