50 replies to this topic

#1 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Should be announced Friday.

The league will also add Old Dominion University, Florida International (blech), La Tech. (Should be one of the best non-aq teams this year, but I doubt they have staying power), Northern Texas (good potential and nice facilities in a great football state), and UTSA (not very good at anything, but they did average 35,000/game their first year playing football and play in the Alamo Dome).

All in all, this is not the CUSA that it used to be, but for Charlotte to go from no football program straight to FBS (we still have to play 2 years of FCS by requirement) is impressive.

I can't wait for the Charlotte/ECU matchup in 2015!

#2 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

So concerned with "markets" and "potential," they left out the additions that made sense...

#3 cavic7585

cavic7585

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Its about time, that university has exploded. And the addition makes plenty of sense.

#4 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

So concerned with "markets" and "potential," they left out the additions that made sense...

Posted Image

#5 moss2k

moss2k

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

butthurt much, cbarrier? Best bet for you guys is Sun Belt, have fun with that.

This is huge for Charlotte, the city and university. You guys will have to update your trucker maps with the markets you "own."

#6 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

butthurt much, cbarrier? Best bet for you guys is Sun Belt, have fun with that.

This is huge for Charlotte, the city and university. You guys will have to update your trucker maps with the markets you "own."

You registered on the Huddle solely to respond to my post. How cute. Welcome to the board.

I'm confused as much as anything. The beauty of message boards is that anyone can speculate and present their ideas in the form of facts. At the end of the day, no one really knew how C-USA was going to respond to conference alignment, but today, they resoundingly said they'd rather have the larger markets, regardless of the existence of a football team.

I personally thought they'd take program performance into consideration, hence the original comment that I thought the additions made "no sense." Turns out I was wrong. The NCAA doesn't care about program performance at all.

Congratulations on the move.

#7 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

You registered on the Huddle solely to respond to my post. How cute. Welcome to the board.

I'm confused as much as anything. The beauty of message boards is that anyone can speculate and present their ideas in the form of facts. At the end of the day, no one really knew how C-USA was going to respond to conference alignment, but today, they resoundingly said they'd rather have the larger markets, regardless of the existence of a football team.

I personally thought they'd take program performance into consideration, hence the original comment that I thought the additions made "no sense." Turns out I was wrong. The NCAA doesn't care about program performance at all.

Congratulations on the move.

Maybe they took more into account than just football performance.

Charlotte has more alumni, is a tier one research university. App is a Masters level institution.

Charlotte has basketball success, a solid baseball program, and a soccer program that is a few months removed from the national championship game.

Charlotte has more students and a larger endowment.

Not only do we supply the Charlotte tv market (even if we don't own it), but we are more likely to bring in conference sponsorships from big corporations located in the Charlotte metro area.

Jerry Richardson's name is on the field and he said he would help the program...bowl tie-ins? Conference championship games in BoA?

These are all things App could not offer.

Obviously the football program at App is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of Charlotte, but that doesn't mean its a guaranteed success at the FBS level. It's a risk, just like Charlotte is a risk, but Charlotte provides more positives just in case we do suck on the football field.

#8 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

Maybe they took more into account than just football performance.

I'm saying they didn't take football performance into consideration AT ALL. C-USA was poised to become the best non-AQ football conference in the country and had built up a reputation for knocking off the "big boys." Chief among these giant killers was ECU, who, at least in the East division, is one of the stronger programs overall, and recently beat the likes of VT and WVU and occasionally would sneak into the Top 25. Now you're aligning them with a school that hasn't even taken the field?

The CBS article in which this info was published stated that the conference "reloaded," but in what way were they intending to "reload?"

Charlotte has more alumni, is a tier one research university. App is a Masters level institution.

While true, I'm not sure how much this is really taken into consideration in this athletic and $$$$ driven environment

Charlotte has basketball success,

I'll give you the "old" C-USA days, not the A10. On a side note, when are our respective schools playing again in basketball?

a solid baseball program,

Doing well in a weak A10, I'll give you this one...

and a soccer program that is a few months removed from the national championship game.

...and this one...

Charlotte has more students and a larger endowment.

...and even this one...

Not only do we supply the Charlotte tv market (even if we don't own it), but we are more likely to bring in conference sponsorships from big corporations located in the Charlotte metro area.

^ This accounts for 95% of the conference membership, IMO. This is why I and other App fans were hoping to at least sell the potential of ASU in larger NC markets, as Moss alluded to. In the back of everyone's minds we all knew the biggest detriment to ASU's move would be something out of our control, and that is location. As long as everyone in the administration kept their mouths shut on the issue (and they have for almost a year) speculation could run rampant and we could still hold out hope for a claim to a larger market. Obviously, today that dream was shattered.

Jerry Richardson's name is on the field and he said he would help the program...bowl tie-ins? Conference championship games in BoA?

I was actually hoping for the ECU-App neutral site game at BOA, but I digress... :lol:

Obviously the football program at App is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of Charlotte, but that doesn't mean its a guaranteed success at the FBS level. It's a risk, just like Charlotte is a risk, but Charlotte provides more positives just in case we do suck on the football field.

There is no such thing as guaranteed success, but if a random guy on Bleacher Report were to make a list of "Programs Ready to Make the Jump to FBS" with the only variable being performance on the field and sustained success, ASU would wind up at the top.

On that note, in many ways this process has made us victims of our own hubris, and now we're left scrambling for answers to why we were left out of the discussion. I will give Judy Rose credit: she has kept the general public informed and enlightened about every step of the process from start to finish.

Apologies for the thread hijack. Hopefully our two squads will meet on the gridiron soon.

#9 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,433 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

blah blah blah. typical day on the huddle

#10 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

I'm saying they didn't take football performance into consideration AT ALL. C-USA was poised to become the best non-AQ football conference in the country and had built up a reputation for knocking off the "big boys." Chief among these giant killers was ECU, who, at least in the East division, is one of the stronger programs overall, and recently beat the likes of VT and WVU and occasionally would sneak into the Top 25. Now you're aligning them with a school that hasn't even taken the field?

The CBS article in which this info was published stated that the conference "reloaded," but in what way were they intending to "reload?"

While true, I'm not sure how much this is really taken into consideration in this athletic and $$$$ driven environment

I'll give you the "old" C-USA days, not the A10. On a side note, when are our respective schools playing again in basketball?

Doing well in a weak A10, I'll give you this one...

...and this one...

...and even this one...

^ This accounts for 95% of the conference membership, IMO. This is why I and other App fans were hoping to at least sell the potential of ASU in larger NC markets, as Moss alluded to. In the back of everyone's minds we all knew the biggest detriment to ASU's move would be something out of our control, and that is location. As long as everyone in the administration kept their mouths shut on the issue (and they have for almost a year) speculation could run rampant and we could still hold out hope for a claim to a larger market. Obviously, today that dream was shattered.

I was actually hoping for the ECU-App neutral site game at BOA, but I digress... :lol:

There is no such thing as guaranteed success, but if a random guy on Bleacher Report were to make a list of "Programs Ready to Make the Jump to FBS" with the only variable being performance on the field and sustained success, ASU would wind up at the top.

On that note, in many ways this process has made us victims of our own hubris, and now we're left scrambling for answers to why we were left out of the discussion. I will give Judy Rose credit: she has kept the general public informed and enlightened about every step of the process from start to finish.

Apologies for the thread hijack. Hopefully our two squads will meet on the gridiron soon.

I can't really disagree with much of what you said, but I will disagree that ECU is a one of the stronger programs out there.

Don't get caught up in the ECU hype. They have awesome fan support. Better than 90% of teams in the country, but their results on the field are mediocre. They have 4 winning seasons in the last decade and have finished the season ranked only 2 or 3 times in their entire history. Their win-loss record vs VT, UNC, NC State, and WVU combined is atrocious.

ECU is a fine program and I'd be happy if Charlotte gets to where they are today, but they are not even close to as good as they lead outsiders to believe.

Also, I hope you guys get into the Sun Belt. I don't really believe there will be a huge gap between the conferences going forward.

#11 holderoftruth

holderoftruth

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Great move by Charlotte, will hurt a little in basketball but at this point just getting back to winning games will be a positive.

#12 Ncstatefan

Ncstatefan

GO PACK!!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

As big a school Charlotte is, the athletic support from it's students can be described as atrocious and embarrassing. It's sad when a school of 20k+ undergrads stuggles to get 200+ to it's Mens division 1 basketball program home games. And yes the support was amazing for the soccer team, I was on one of those buses to Alabama, but it's soccer, not a national attention grabbing sport, and the coach, who was the main reason for such good recruits coming to UNCC has left for UCLA. I went to Charlotte the previous two years, this past semester I transfered to my school of choice NCSU. It's great though to see them back in C-USA and I know a few people who are on the football team already who are extremely excited of this news.

#13 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

As big a school Charlotte is, the athletic support from it's students can be described as atrocious and embarrassing. It's sad when a school of 20k+ undergrads stuggles to get 200+ to it's Mens division 1 basketball program home games. And yes the support was amazing for the soccer team, I was on one of those buses to Alabama, but it's soccer, not a national attention grabbing sport, and the coach, who was the main reason for such good recruits coming to UNCC has left for UCLA. I went to Charlotte the previous two years, this past semester I transfered to my school of choice NCSU. It's great though to see them back in C-USA and I know a few people who are on the football team already who are extremely excited of this news.

Everyone supports a winner.

What needs to happen at Charlotte, which hopefully is on the way with the football team, is to get the students/alumni out of the 'commuter school' mindset. Make it a destination, not just a place to go to class and then go home.

#14 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

lol are you kidding? 200 people at men's basketball games?

Even after a 6 year NCAA drought we average over 6,000 a game. Our attendance falls within the top 25% of DI hoops.

We rank in the top 20 for soccer attendance and regularly fill our baseball stadium.

Our soccer team has some of the best players in the state coming here next year. How is that if our soccer coach was the only reason they came here? Our soccer coach was a no-name before last season. He didn't get high profile recruits, he just got everything he could out of the guys. Also, our soccer coach didn't go to UCLA, he went to Stanford.

I'm not going to pretend like our support is stellar and among the best in the country, but it is very good for a school that has up until now not had a football program. CUSA basketball should be friendlier to Charlotte hoops than the A10. Winning will put fans back in the seats and Halton is an awesome place to watch a game when the house is packed.

Football will expose all of our programs to new fans. 60% of the PSL's that have been sold have been sold to people that had previously never given to the program.

#15 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Everyone supports a winner.

What needs to happen at Charlotte, which hopefully is on the way with the football team, is to get the students/alumni out of the 'commuter school' mindset. Make it a destination, not just a place to go to class and then go home.

The only people that think it is a commuter school are people that haven't been there in 10+ years. Charlotte has a higher percentage of students that live on campus or a mile from campus than UNC. It is very much a residential campus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com