148 replies to this topic

#106 Upper Deck West End Zone

Upper Deck West End Zone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

Terrible. Take a lap.

All of the above...it's a 'what have you done for me lately' league. Look at the horrible decisions in the last three years. Look at the team's record. Stop being delusional about Marty Hurney. He's mediocre at best. Look at the on field results.

#107 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

SeƱor Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

All of the above...it's a 'what have you done for me lately' league. Look at the horrible decisions in the last three years. Look at the team's record. Stop being delusional about Marty Hurney. He's mediocre at best. Look at the on field results.

Yeah, there are valid criticisms of hurney if you want him gone, but saying stuff like "well Fox went 8-8 in the worst division in football and made the playoffs, so he clearly wasn't the problem and he's awesome" is just plain stupid and cheapens any argument.

#108 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,296 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hurney is mediocre at best. Does mediocre get you to a SB? No. He has reached too hard in the draft many times. There's only one way to judge a GM and that's with results.

John Fox got Denver into the playoffs. So our problems over the last several years can't be blamed on Fox. So you have to blame Hurney.

He's drafted some terrible players. And we signed the core of a team that went 2-14.

It's all about results. If I did my job like Hurney does his, I'd be fired. If you want proof that JR has lost his marbles, look at the continued employment of MH.

Fox went 8-8, in a weak division, in the weaker conference.

Carolina (Hurneys team) would have fares much better as well in that scenario

#109 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,296 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hurney is mediocre at best. Does mediocre get you to a SB? No. He has reached too hard in the draft many times. There's only one way to judge a GM and that's with results.

John Fox got Denver into the playoffs. So our problems over the last several years can't be blamed on Fox. So you have to blame Hurney.

He's drafted some terrible players. And we signed the core of a team that went 2-14.

It's all about results. If I did my job like Hurney does his, I'd be fired. If you want proof that JR has lost his marbles, look at the continued employment of MH.

Fox went 8-8, in a weak division, in the weaker conference.

Carolina (Hurneys team) would have fared much better as well in that scenario

#110 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

The average tenure of a GM is 4 years, excluding the GMs in Dallas and Cincinnati, where they are also owners. On the surface, a GM who inherits a great roster is going to look better than one who inherits crap. Usually, the first thing a GM who inherits crap does is hire a new coach. Then he begins remaking the roster.

If you look at the Panthers in the four years before Hurney got here, they averaged 5.3 wins a season. If you look at his first four years, they averaged 9.0 wins a season. That's not counting the playoffs, BTW. So as far as hiring the right guy and remaking the roster, Hurney doesn't suck.

In his next four seasons, he averaged 8.75 wins. And in the last two years, he's averaged 4. What should be noted here is that the 2 win season had a lot to do with JR's direct instructions to cut vets and let Fox work out his contract.

I would say that in his first eight years Hurney did a pretty good job of building a competitive team, without the benefit of a franchise quarterback. Now he has Cam Newton, and that alone should make his decisions look a lot smarter. Does it suddenly make him a better GM?

And for what it's worth, among active GMs only A.J. Smith had a better turn-around after taking over the football team.

That metric may mean something to some people here, it may not. But it's still a fact, so have fun turning it into an argument for the pre-conceived notions you already have. :)

#111 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,750 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Free Agent Misses: Signing Mike Wahle, Signing Ken Lucas

I'm confused here.

#112 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 8,917 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

I don't really care what a guy did 10 years ago. Look at the last 4-5 years and they are below average in every possible way.

#113 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

shitpost around the clock

• HUDDLER
  • 9,560 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

Free Agent Misses: Signing Mike Wahle, Signing Ken Lucas

I'm confused here.

oh no, they signed big contracts and were productive for a few seasons before they started to reach the downhill portion of their careers and we ditched them. that means they are horrible, horrible busts.

what's more hurney whiffed on carl nicks that one draft.

#114 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

If you want to talk whiff, can you at least use Aaron Rodgers instead of a Guard taken in the fifth round?

#115 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

Ok, last 4 years: 12-4, 8-8, 2-14, 6-10. Total: 28-36. Below average. Worst 4 year stretch of Hurney's career. This just happens to coincide with the decline and departure of the previous long term starter at QB, a season where the owner refused to spend money and we put the league's youngest team on the field as a result, and the drafting of a franchise QB. Now maybe yore right and what happened 5-10 years ago doesn't matter because Marty Hurney has gotten worse at his job since then. Or, maybe the GM isn't the only thing that can affect a team's record and the circumstances listed above played a role.

#116 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,296 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

If you are Richardson and your belief is you should have a coach friendly GM who caters to the HC......why replace Hurney?

Fox was let go for not winning. Hurney simply allowed Fox to have the talent he wanted to run the type team he wanted.

Same with Rivera.

Hurney just needs to be smarter with a select few contracts. As much as a bitch about Williams' deal hindsight makes it a bad one. If Cam wasn't a rock star out is the gate then that luxury investment would have been more of a need to pound the rock.

#117 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

shitpost around the clock

• HUDDLER
  • 9,560 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

If you want to talk whiff, can you at least use Aaron Rodgers instead of a Guard taken in the fifth round?

i wasn't being serious.

i have seen that argument made verbatim though.

#118 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

Hurney whiffed on Antonio Gates in the 2003 UDFA pool.

#119 BeerMe

BeerMe

In Chico We Trust.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

Small sample size, but he's been better with Rivera than with Fox. I like him.

#120 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

The guy that baffles me as to how he has a job is Ryan Vermillion. How do we sign players like Edwards who have never been hurt and then boom, IR. Davis, three ACL tears. Otah always hurt. This post is only half serious, but someone on the training staff, or medical staff, or strength and conditioning staff should be cut. It seems like the first caveat of every single season is. Either "if we can stay healthy, we'll be good", or "if so and so comes back healthy, we'll be fine", and yet neither ever happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.