Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

P Nick Harris Signed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#46 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

Punter competition. I like it.

#47 vorbis

vorbis

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

it's as much about competition as it is about having two guys to punt to give the special teams practice during camp. barring some horrible setback, nortman will be the punter for the regular season.

#48 heyyall

heyyall

• PipPipPipPip
Banned

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

You dont know what you are talking about. We have Fua, McClain, Edwards, Shirley, Neblett, and Kearse. I seriously cant think of a team with a better and deeper core than that.

I agree, all are pro-bowlers.

#49 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:45 AM

Punter averages are affected by way to many things. You could never look at a number and say "yeah hes good". It's all about watching film and liking what you see.

#50 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:19 AM

Nortman is a directional guy. We/Panthers are working forward with the idea we are punting from the 35 of better IMO.

As I recall. the Eagles used to get pretty good work out of Jeff Feagles directional punting.

That was before Rivera's time there, but I'm sure he knows the value.

As to Harris, why not have an extra guy in camp? Competition's good, and it gives you more guys to help with special teams coverage and return drills.

#51 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

it wasn't the yardage that was the big draw, it was the hang time. it could be argued that hang time is/can be more important. gives the gunners and other defenders more time to get there and takes away chances for big returns. some guy could have a long punt but a line drive and the distance would do absolutely no good.

i was a fan of nortman ahead of any other punter coming into the draft because of that hang time. the dude gives the defenders more of a chance to get the ball stopped and him being able to place the ball anywhere he wants makes him even more valuable.

That is what I heard of as well. There were several things that they really liked about Nortman (over even Butler):

1. Hangtime - his hangtime is very good

2. Consistency - Nortman was very consistent in his kick distance and amount of hangtime. This is very important to a ST unit. Without the consistency, you can out kick your coverage, or have your gunners out running the kick (happened often last year with Baker).

3. Kicking Conditions - Nortman put up very good distance and accuracy numbers while kicking in tough conditions. He traditionally kicked in cold, rain, wind, etc. at Big 10 locations.

#52 philw5289

philw5289

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

did you guys forget all the jaguars do is punt? he's gotta be a good punter

#53 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

did you guys forget all the jaguars do is punt? he's gotta be a good punter

What's the girl saying in your sig?

#54 chknwing

chknwing

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

CHAMPIONSHIP!

#55 catnip

catnip

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

Baker was let go because of salary cap reasons. He had a terrible year last year and the with the cap hit it was just too much. We are rebuilding and going with younger players, so it makes sense to draft someone and see what he can do.

#56 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

I agree, all are pro-bowlers.

All they needed was a year to grow. Noone should be able to run on us this year now that we have Kuechly too!

#57 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

Distance, hangtime, direction, quickness, fug all that....can either of these bitches lay someone out on a return for a 15 yard roughing penalty then get high and drunk like Saurbrun could?