71 replies to this topic

#46 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

don't forget this year and next. Not even close.

You can use numbers to shape any argument you want, but lately UNC owns Duke in recruiting.

You should also add that several of the 2011 class players won't be with Duke this upcoming season.

Also, what was your recruiting source?

And several players from unc's 2009 class (T.Wear, D.Wear, and J.Henson) won't be with unc this upcoming season along with several from the 2010 class (K.Marshall, and H.Barnes) so what is your point? You said roy was out recruiting K, just because players leave doesn't deminish that the coaches recruited these players and they played for the school.

As far as 2012 unc has four 4-star recruits coming in and Duke has 2 5-star recruits coming in. I don't know the class ranks yet because they haven't been updated since Jefferson signed. I use scout as my source, they do a nice job and it's easier to search without having to pay.

#47 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,652 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Carolina technically has six. But it was almost 100 years ago LOL.

4 in the past 25 years is pretty good.

2 in the past 10 is better.

Techincally they have 5, the helms banner is only recognized by a few schools. Butler would also argue that they were national champs that year since they actually won a tournament that year. They weren't just awarded a "championship" 12 years after the fact.

#48 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,652 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

And several players from unc's 2009 class (T.Wear, D.Wear, and J.Henson) won't be with unc this upcoming season along with several from the 2010 class (K.Marshall, and H.Barnes) so what is your point? You said roy was out recruiting K, just because players leave doesn't deminish that the coaches recruited these players and they played for the school.

As far as 2012 unc has four 4-star recruits coming in and Duke has 2 5-star recruits coming in. I don't know the class ranks yet because they haven't been updated since Jefferson signed. 2013 unc has two 5-star recruits signed and Duke has one 5-star recruit signed but like I said 85% of the class is still unsigned so a lot will change. I am not using the numbers to shape my argument, I am just giving you the facts. I use scout as my source, they do a nice job and it's easier to search without having to pay.

#49 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

I think both of those wear brothers were mcdonalds AA. Are they at cal or ucla now?

PS Bigcatdaddy: I read an article on the CO today that projected Jefferson as a bench player, so Ill concede that argument with you. They got Kelly starting over him. Jefferson may not start but I promise you if duke wants to make a NC run, Jefferson will be starting and Kelly off the bench by January

Kelly is a scrub man y'all know this. He's also a mouth breather.

#50 SN03

SN03

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationHickory, NC

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

Another 5* big for Wojo to derail. If you are a wing player with an outside shot Duke is the place to be. However, Durham is where bigs set screens & fade into the oblivion. If I were an inside player I would avoid coach K & Duke like the plague.

#51 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,652 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

I think both of those wear brothers were mcdonalds AA. Are they at cal or ucla now?

PS Bigcatdaddy: I read an article on the CO today that projected Jefferson as a bench player, so Ill concede that argument with you. They got Kelly starting over him. Jefferson may not start but I promise you if duke wants to make a NC run, Jefferson will be starting and Kelly off the bench by January

Kelly is a scrub man y'all know this. He's also a mouth breather.

They were both Mcdonalds AA and they are are UCLA with LD2. I think to call Kelly a scrub is a little harsh, the kid has gotten better each year and he averaged 12ppg and pulled down 5rpg. He is also a 6'11" guy who shoots 41% from 3 and has a nice mid range game. He has a lot of skills and I think this will be his breakout year but if Jefferson is playing well enough to start over him that will make me happy too.

#52 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,652 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Another 5* big for Wojo to derail. If you are a wing player with an outside shot Duke is the place to be. However, Durham is where bigs set screens & fade into the oblivion. If I were an inside player I would avoid coach K & Duke like the plague.

Just curious but what 5-star big has Wojo derailed?

#53 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Dunno why Dookies have such a hard on for the mouth breather Ryan Kelly.

LD2 leaving Carolina for UCLA is one of the best things to ever happen to Carolina.

#54 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,652 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Dunno why Dookies have such a hard on for the mouth breather Ryan Kelly.

LD2 leaving Carolina for UCLA is one of the best things to ever happen to Carolina.

I wouldn't call it a hard on, he is just a good player who works hard and has gotten better each year. He is not a superstar and never will be but he has skills and he will be a key player for us next year. He averaged 2ppg as a freshman, 6ppg as a sophomore, and 12ppg as a junior where a guy like Dexter Strickland averaged 5ppg as a freshman, 8ppg as a sophomore, and 8ppg as a junior. So Kelly has developed and gotten better each year where Strickland has pretty much been the same player.

I agree that LD2 leaving was the best thing for unc, now we get to see him run the show with Shabazz, Kyle Anderson, and Tony Parker.

#55 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

LD2 better have matured and got over his little bratty, self entitled bitch self or UCLA is going to waste the one year Parker and Shabazz are there.

#56 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,652 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

LD2 better have matured and got over his little bratty, self entitled bitch self or UCLA is going to waste the one year Parker and Shabazz are there.

I will try and steer us back on topic and say that I am glad Duke got Jefferson over Parker. I think Parker is out of shape and for a big man he plays below the rim. I was not impressed with his play any of the times I saw him and for him to prolong his accouncement the way he did was crazy. Parker and LD2 should get along great. I think Kyle Anderson might turn out to be the best player on that team, he is very skilled and is a very smooth player. He is kind of an old school throw back kind of guy that just makes plays.

#57 SN03

SN03

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationHickory, NC

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

Just curious but what 5-star big has Wojo derailed?

I'm not going to get in a pissing match over college b-ball. I am making an outside observation. I have no side in UNC/Duke related arguments & avoid them like the plague. I played b-ball in high school & college & I am a UNC fan. But I'm not hell bent against Duke like most UNC/Duke fans are towards each other. My younger brother is a Duke fan & is ridiculously biased & annoying. The Panthers are the only sports team I'm truly passionate about. But here is my opinion & I'll leave it at that. I'm not gonna go back & forth out of respect, & lack of interest.

Coach K teams revolve around having 4 players on the court who can handle the ball & shoot 3's. Duke doesn't develop or utilize big men in their schemes. It's obvious when your front court coach is a 6ft pg. Duke big men are used for defense, rebounding, setting screens, & kicking the ball out to jump shooters.

Carlos Boozer & Elton Brand are examples of elite prep talent who excelled in the NBA. Zoubek, McRoberts, Thomas, Plumlee, Plumlee, & others are examples of players who were talented but have no chance of NBA success because they never developed an inside game at the collegiate level & unlike Brand & Boozer they don't have the natural ability to make it at the next level in spite of never being developed.

As for Larry Drew II, I think he could go either way this season. Regardless of what happened at UNC he still has some talent. Plus UCLA has some major weapons, Bazz is a stud. Wouldn't suprise me if Drew has a decent Sr season. Or he could have a pyschological breakdown & be buried on the bench by December. Who knows.

#58 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

Duke just lost its #1 scorer, who was also their best player...they aren't going to be better than State. We should have beaten Duke last year so if the refs don't step in and foul out our three best players with 10 mins left we will should be the best team in the league.

Also...JMO but Amile Jefferson doesn't fit Duke AT ALL as a freshmen. The kid is a tweener at 3/4 because of his body and typically those guys don't typically do very well at Duke unless they are a top 2-3 player in the class...see Luol Deng. Jefferson is much more Lance Thomas coming out of HS than he is Luol Deng coming out of high school so I hope he enjoys setting screens and taking charges. Because he isn't grabbing boards or scoring over the likes of JMM, CJL, Richard Howell, and the bigs at Florida State.

The kid is going to be a bench warmer in that system unless he does 1 of 2 things:

A - Shoots 40% from beyond the arc.
B - Puts on 25lbs and becomes a force inside.

Because the bottom line is that in order to be successful in that offense you better either be a shooter or a banger...right now he is neither.

#59 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

I read he's 6'9 and 200 pounds soaking wet. McAdoo is going to eat this guy alive.

#60 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:18 AM

I read he's 6'9 and 200 pounds soaking wet. McAdoo is going to eat this guy alive.

JMM is 6'9" 220, not really that huge of a difference. And seeing as you are using pure measurables as whether or not he will win a matchup, he will likely be matched up on Mason(6'10" 235 lbs).

No way Amile Jefferson is a one and done player. He is in the same predicament that CJ Leslie is in. Big enough to play the 4 in college, but not consistent enough to play the 3 in the pro's(bc they would be undersized at the 4 in the NBA).

Can't really say that Duke ruin's elite post players. We haven't had guys that have come into school with developed post game in long time(since boozer prob). Shelden Williams ended up being a very good college post player, but he wasn't near as effective in the post as a freshman. The last guy we had that was supposed to be a stud, but ended up being much less than expected was Josh Mcroberts. Came out of HS as the #1 player in his class and struggled with the college game. Then to compound that, just when he is starting to make progress, he goes pro after his soph year.

Duke just hasn't ended up with any elite talent in the post, therefor Coach K has adapted to this shooter heavy lineup to try and mask the lack of a dominant post game. I will say that I think the reason that he is losing a lot of elite post prospects is bc Wojo is the "Big Man Coach." That fact has always baffled me. I understand that he may know what he is teaching, but how is an 18 year old prospect, who knows he will only be in school for one year, supposed to listen to a midget who never spent one minute in the post in his entire playing career.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NC State, Dook, Amile Jefferson, Kentucky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com