Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KissMyConverse

Alex Smith Had Some Choice Words About Mr. Newton.

300 posts in this topic

Alex Smith is a game manager

Cam Newton is a playmaker

The two should never be compared. Smith was dumb for doing it. Smith didn't have a great years and the OC changes are a big reason for his struggles. Nothing wrong with a good game manager.

In all honestly, Cam probably would have struggled if asked to be a game manager like Smith last year. Not who he is....what he does

As accurate as this is I think we can expand on it just a little. To me its worth mentioning that while Cam is a playmaker, the jury is still out whether or not he can become and effective game manager when the need presents itself. He very well can be both now and ease into the twilight of his career as a game manager when his legs begin to fail him with age.

So at the very best Alex Smith is a resurrected (for the moment) bust of a game manager that can NEVER be a playmaker and conversely, the sky is the limit for an overachieving (by all pre-draft accounts) Cam who while making plays comes easy for him is dedicated to learning to make all the throws and play from under center at a fast pace and with conviction.

I might be whining if I was Alex Smith too. Actually, I would keep Cam's name out of my mouth and avoid any an all questions about him if I was Alex Smith. I guess along with all of his other noted shortcomings we should add "not quite bright" to the Alex Smith profile.

Relegated to discussing alex smith. August where are you.

Pssssst... He kinda has a point

Kinda, yes.

But slagging off a guy like Newton, who in his rookie season proved he can lead an NFL offense in such a convincing manner is true asshattery and douchebaggery.

And while I won't commit to this point of view, the argument could convincingly be made that SF was so successful last year in spite of Alex Smith.

Winning > than outstanding statistics. But one does have to keep his wits about him.

Kinda, yes.

But slagging off a guy like Newton, who in his rookie season proved he can lead an NFL offense in such a convincing manner is true asshattery and douchebaggery.

And while I won't commit to this point of view, the argument could convincingly be made that SF was so successful last year in spite of Alex Smith.

Winning > than outstanding statistics. But one does have to keep his wits about him.

As much as people want to say that it isn't true. Winning in spite would mean Smith was actually hurting the team, his low number of turnovers say he wasn't. He did what was asked of him, moved them down the field to at least get a field goal and avoid turning the ball over. You can argue they were winning without a ton of help from Smith, but they weren't winning in spite of him.

Someone drafted Dwill and Stew in their fantasy league... :)

that argument is even less convincing than the argument that Cam's stats didn't mean a thing... You may argue that Smith did not contribute *much*, but winning in spite of him implies something very different.

Pssssst... He kinda has a point

No he doesnt.

Football is a team sport. Alex had 13 wins because of a great defense.

Cam didnt have 13 wins because the Panthers wasnt as good as the 49ers.

If Smith had the talent that Cam has, the 49ers would have went to the Superbowl, and if Carolina had Alex Smith as our QB, then we would have only won 1 or 2 games with the injuries we had.

He had a good point, but he used an awful example because his rationale for using us was flawed. Because of that, his quote has lost its meaning, basically.

He is right that raw yardage totals mean nothing at all, but he was incorrect that Cam's passing yards were due exclusively to us airing it out in garbage time.

Yahoo's Shutdown Corner pretty much "fatalities" Alex Smith in regards to this little drama.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/