• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#106 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

Andrew Luck had a faster 3 cone drill than Cam Newton......so he's far from stiff since the whole point of the drill is to measure change of direction and flexibility.

Watch them play and then tell me who has the better change of direction.

Maybe he isn't "stiff." But it is clear when watching them play who is more agile.

#107 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,563 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

anyone doubting cam newton's excellent work ethic or football IQ at this point is just a blind hater and worthy of being laughed at and then ignored for the troll they are.

i doubt we will ever see another rookie light it up like newton did, esp. in the situation he was in as a rookie.

rg3's fallen into a situation that was much more ideal than newton's...gets a full offseason with his coaching staff that has been in place for several years.

#108 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,563 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

Watch them play and then tell me who has the better change of direction.

Maybe he isn't "stiff." But it is clear when watching them play who is more agile.

luck is a much better athlete and runner than most gave him credit for (goes along with being a white athlete...for some reason you are assumed to be just smart but slow and not very athletic. stereotypes suck.).

that said, luck has nothing on newton as a runner. he'll still be a great QB and likely the best one taken in the draft this year.

#109 Beast_3000

Beast_3000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Newton's a better passer than either one.

Have said it before, but will say again. As far as QB prototypes, Newton bears far more similarity to Brett Favre or John Elway (big, athletic, not super accurate but near-perfect in spots and generally accurate enough to get the job done) than he does Vick, Young or McNabb.

I would say Elway/ Mcnabb ( in his prime). Young and Vick have not shown the ability to read through progressions like our boy CAM. It is only going to get better. I hope his accuracy continues to improve. No reason to believe otherwise. Most of his innaccurate throws came later in games, as he got away from the fundamentals of prototypical form.

#110 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,104 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

RGIII may be a special athlete but lets see if he is a special quarterback. Frankly there have been a number of very good athletes who were not that special at the quarterback position. Frankly athleticism is not the first quality most people associate with the quarterback position and not usually considered the most important. What made Newton so good last year was not just the athleticism (it helped) so much as his ability to pick things up so quickly and translate what he learned on Friday to the game on Sunday. Those are skills that Griffin has yet to demonstrate. What held Vick back was taking 4 or 5 years to learn the West Coast offense.

#111 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

luck is a much better athlete and runner than most gave him credit for (goes along with being a white athlete...for some reason you are assumed to be just smart but slow and not very athletic. stereotypes suck.).

that said, luck has nothing on newton as a runner. he'll still be a great QB and likely the best one taken in the draft this year.

I agree. He is a good runner. Very tough when he runs. But his runs are in the mold of The Golden Calf of Bristol, not Newton or Vick. Newton, as I said, has freakish change of direction for someone that is 6'6, 250-260lbs. That is what makes him so difficult to stop in open field. I still remember that LSU run for 2010 where he just made one of the top defenses in the nation look silly. Luck isn't capable of something like that. He relies more on sheer power (his thighs are pretty big) than he does making you miss in the open field.

Griffin is a talented runner, but I don't think he has the COD or agility that Newton/Vick have to really take over a game with his legs like Newton and Vick are capable of if they wanted to.

Heck, he wasn't even that good of a runner in college. He finished the season averaging 3.9 YPC - that is pretty bad, and Griffin was in an even more wide open offense than Cam was. Newton averaged 5.6 YPC in college (against the SEC) and 5.4 last year IIRC. Even led the SEC in rushing yards and TDs too. This isn't directed at anybody but I just don't see how anybody could really expect Griffin to make an impact on the ground like Newton did. When you watch them play, you can tell Newton is superior with his legs and it isn't really close.

#112 panthers34

panthers34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

way different qbs most people think hes faster than cam soo he will be better than him but thats not true and same for luck cam is a way better runner than both luck and rg3

#113 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

the redskins winning more than 6 games is a bet i'd take easy.

as would i.

#114 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,638 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

There are no comparisons. Robert Griffin III will present a combination of skill and intelligence that the NFL has never seen before. Remember: Hard work beats talent every time. But if you work hard and you're talented, it's hard to be beat.

LOL, is this before of after he turns water into wine?

Hard work + talent = :cam:

#115 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,638 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Guess we'll see at the end of the season. I've already placed bets that RG3 will win more games then Cam did in his rookie season. I also have a bet with someone here that the Redskins will beat Carolina this year so i'm confident and willing to backup my statements.

Ah the "who will win more games" bet... you realize football is a team sport, right?

So if RG3 wins more games this year than Cam did last year, it means he's a better QB?

Under this "logic" Alex Smith was a better QB in 2011 than Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning and Matthew Stafford and was just as good as Drew Brees and Tom Brady.

Awesome bet.

#116 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,638 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Oh, and Rex Grossman beat Eli Manning twice last year... so this means Rex is better than Eli.

#117 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Andrew Luck is actually a pretty damn talented runner. He doesn't look it, but he's not going to sit there like Manning or Brady. I see him being more like Rodgers, who is also an underrated runner as a QB.

#118 Iamnotanewb

Iamnotanewb

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

People saw what Cameron did last year and want their rookie QB to duplicat the feat. I can relate to that. Homerz gotta home.

Cameron is different. RG111 has the potential to be very exciting. But who the hell is afraid to tackle exciting. Conversely, who is lining up to take a shot at Cameron? That is the defining difference with Cameron. His mix of SIZE, speed, shiftiness, and athletic ability, is truly different from everone else.

If Cameron continues to amaze, he will contiue to be the measuring stick. Wow, that is the first time I have ever been able to say that about the QB for MY team. Kinda gives me goosies.

You cannot be mad at other fans for wanting their very own Cameron. Hell, for the longest time, we were them.

#119 Simple and Plain

Simple and Plain

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

Looks like someone is getting wood after the Redskns won their seemingly 14th off-season championship in a row.

RGIII is fast, but his running is crap and will more than likely get him hurt. It is great to have straight line speed, but often he ran right into contact. Comparing him to Vick is insane as Vick can actually dodge tackles. RGIII is lucky he played in the no defense Big 12 instead of the SEC.

Luck will be a more effective runner than Griffin too.

#120 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

how do you guys still fall for this creepy pedo's trolling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.