#976 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,952 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

I want that guy to be my trainer. The thing that limits me is no spotter. The hooks on the bench press have probably saved my life several times.

Yep... it's tough to do that bench work without a spotter.  No way to go to failure.

#977 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Stretch afterwords. I'm not sure of your age, but the loss of flexibility is one of the biggest reason people 40+ hurt themselves. If you remain limber, you'll appreciate it later in life. At 36, I can still easily touch my toes.

#978 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yep... it's tough to do that bench work without a spotter.  No way to go to failure.

Those hooks say otherwise, oh and fug a smith machine.

#979 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,952 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

I did a kickboxing workout the other day. I'm done with those. Every time I do those workouts my hamstrings are in pain for days. 

Also the hubby upped the calories and has upped the weights and it shows :) me like.

Stretching helps, and I've always found that if I do hard cardio, like riding the bike for 10 minutes after I lift, I'm much less sore.

Hooks are fine, but still dangerous 88 on a barbell bench and trying to go to failure.  I rarely use a Smith for benching.

#980 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

If it doesn't kill me, I will be stronger.

#981 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,952 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

613x459.jpg?fit=scale&background=000000

It's that "kill me" part that bothers me... :)

#982 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,861 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

My wife told me last week that it was "ridiculous" that I still consider myself skinny and that I'm becoming "reverse anorexic". (half joking, half serious)

Fast forward to today and I see this article:

http://newyork.cbslo...s-side-effects/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — It has often been perceived that women are constantly fixated on their diets. Now, a growing number of men have become obsessed with “bulking up.”

The new trend has been called “bigorexia” and it could come with some serious health consequences.

Early in his career, personal trainer Alfonso Moretti was obsessed with building his own muscles.

“It takes over your life. Every decision you make becomes the workout and how your body looks. I used to track and weigh every single ounce of food that went in my body. I used to wake up at 3 o’clock in the morning to drink protein shakes. I never missed a workout, ever, ever, ever,” he told CBS 2′s Maurice Dubois.

As many as 45-percent of men have fallen victim to bigorexia or muscle dysmorphia, according to Dr. Michele Kerulis the director of sports & health psychology at the Adler School of Professional Psychology.

“I can remember as young as 13 or 14, looking at some of these muscle magazines, and I was conditioned to think that’s what a man looked like. Big shoulders, big legs, just big muscles with veins everywhere,” Moretti said.

The emotional impact can be devastating.

What a crock of poo.

#983 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

My wife told me last week that it was "ridiculous" that I still consider myself skinny and that I'm becoming "reverse anorexic". (half joking, half serious)

Fast forward to today and I see this article:

http://newyork.cbslo...s-side-effects/

What a crock of poo.

When my wife says the size of my muscles makes her vagina dry up like a bag of salt, I've gotten too big.

#984 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,952 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

lol

I saw that this morning... I can see how some people get caught up in thinking they always need to be bigger.

It is addicting, I've always acknowledged that... it feels great to go and work out and get bigger.

#985 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,861 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

The whole concept sounds like fitness shaming to me. This article says "obsession", I say "commitment".

Only in America is committing to nutrition and exercise with the goal of improving your body considered a disorder.

It takes, like, 2 hours a day to track your food intake and workout.

#986 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Luckily I'll never have a problem like that. I'm about as hard a gainer as there is. I consume upwards of 6000 calories per day and I still can't get much bigger. It really sucks.

#987 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,952 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

The whole concept sounds like fitness shaming to me. This article says "obsession", I say "commitment".

Only in America is committing to nutrition and exercise with the goal of improving your body considered a disorder.

It takes, like, 2 hours a day to track your food intake and workout.

I agree.

I'm sure some people can have a "disorder" involving body image and wanting to get bigger, but to imply that anyone who works out is doing that is not right.

#988 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

I agree.

I'm sure some people can have a "disorder" involving body image and wanting to get bigger, but to imply that anyone who works out is doing that is not right.

There is definitely a way to take fitness too far. Sure, your physical health may be tremendous, but it can certainly take a toll on your mental health.

I agree though. Implying that anyone who is dedicated to fitness has some sort of disorder is absurd. It takes time and it becomes a big part of your life. I don't think that's unhealthy at all.

#989 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

I see it as the same mindset that drives people to be athletes or musicians. A goal is set and whatever work is necessary is done to accomplish the goal. Some say it's obsessive, but a lot of people lack the mettle to accomplish difficult goals

#990 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

I stretch before and after a work out for a while.

I'm going to have to take the roller to my hammies and my upper calves. ouch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com