Photo
- - - - -

Do you love America? You are a terrorist.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

This document is basically a study guide for deptments like DHS, FBI, CIA and NSA, to teach them where to look for potential terrorists.

They are telling the agencies to do is to look for, find and basically infiltrate these movements, to look for "terrorists".

Being involved in these activities does not make you a terrorist.

The point I am trying to make is that the War on Terrorism is just as dangerous to Americans as it is to Islamic extremeists over seas.

This is a wake up call to people who still dont think that the government is trying to take our freedoms away. It says that people who are involved in these activities is dangerous.

Do you want to be detained indefinately beause you are oppossed to a UN takeover, or because you support the 2nd amendment, or the 1st amendment?

I dont agree with you this time.

You are just wrong here. This is not a study guide. This did not try to define people as terrorists. They did NOT SAY that being concerned about liberty etc etc makes you a terrorist AT ALL. What they said was that if your group committed an act of terrorism AND IN ADDITION your group was "reverent of individual liberty," and/or "anti-global," and/or "suspicious of centralized federal authority," etc, then your terrorist group was defined as an Extreme Right Wing Terrorist Organization. NOT that if your group was "reverent of individual liberty," and/or "anti-global," and/or "suspicious of centralized federal authority," etc, you were a terrorist group.

At best it attempts to define physical/geographic areas that may be at risk of terrorist attack, based on defining areas that have been hotspots for terrorism. Additionally, it looked at population density, concentrated disadvantage, residential mobility, the percentage of the population that is foreign-born, language diversity, and racial and ethnic composition in each county to see if they were significant (based on a multivariate analysis) predictors of terrorist attacks within a county. Certain variables were, others were not.

The definition of terrorism used by the GTD is: the threatened or actual use of illegal force by non-state actors, in order to attain a political, economic, religious or social goal, through fear, coercion or intimidation.

The definition may not be great (I know many people would be annoyed it does not include "state actors), but if you're going to attempt to discuss terrorism you have to have some definition of it.

#17 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Besides... what is the definition of a 'terrorist' anyway? It is too broad of a definition.

Well I suppose if you are declaring war on an unspecific idea you have to do something to define it

#18 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

Also, this particular study was not the only study to come from the initial $12 mill grant that DHS gave UMD for START. START has approximately 500 publications on their website, so it is deceptive to say that this study cost $12 mill. The center itself received that grant, and that money has been spent on apparently many many studies.

#19 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

You are just wrong here. This is not a study guide. This did not try to define people as terrorists. They did NOT SAY that being concerned about liberty etc etc makes you a terrorist AT ALL. What they said was that if your group committed an act of terrorism AND IN ADDITION your group was "reverent of individual liberty," and/or "anti-global," and/or "suspicious of centralized federal authority," etc, then your terrorist group was defined as an Extreme Right Wing Terrorist Organization. NOT that if your group was "reverent of individual liberty," and/or "anti-global," and/or "suspicious of centralized federal authority," etc, you were a terrorist group.

At best it attempts to define physical/geographic areas that may be at risk of terrorist attack, based on defining areas that have been hotspots for terrorism. Additionally, it looked at population density, concentrated disadvantage, residential mobility, the percentage of the population that is foreign-born, language diversity, and racial and ethnic composition in each county to see if they were significant (based on a multivariate analysis) predictors of terrorist attacks within a county. Certain variables were, others were not.

The definition of terrorism used by the GTD is: the threatened or actual use of illegal force by non-state actors, in order to attain a political, economic, religious or social goal, through fear, coercion or intimidation.

The definition may not be great (I know many people would be annoyed it does not include "state actors), but if you're going to attempt to discuss terrorism you have to have some definition of it.

Well, I have to respectfully disagree.

Those predator drones are there for a reason, same as the NDAA and the "Patriot" Act.

The government is out of line to spy on Americans because of perfectly reasonable political views.

Just because I dont believe in the President's extreme left-wing politics, does not mean I am a danger to my country. For them to accuse me of that is despicable.

Where are my fellow Patriots? Does anyone here back me?

#20 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

Well, I have to respectfully disagree.

Those predator drones are there for a reason, same as the NDAA and the "Patriot" Act.

The government is out of line to spy on Americans because of perfectly reasonable political views.

Just because I dont believe in the President's extreme left-wing politics, does not mean I am a danger to my country. For them to accuse me of that is despicable.

Where are my fellow Patriots? Does anyone here back me?

this study has nothing, NOTHING to do with any of that.

this study does not classify you as a person in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. Seriously, it doesn't deal with individuals at all.

Regardless of your feelings towards the government, this study has nothing to do with your fears.

The reason it is no longer on Drudge Report may just be due to the fact that there's nothing here to get up in arms about outside of potentially feeling DHS is funding universities for projects that some citizens may find pointless.

edit: to clarify... this study is not going to make it any easier or enable the government to categorize certain people as being likely to become terrorists in a way they don't or can't already. What it may do is enable them to target particular *areas* they think may be more likely to be targets of terrorist attacks based on a variety of criteria, none of which are specifically related to an individual... things language diversity, ethnic composition, population density, etc...

it actually could give ammunition to some of the more right wing anti-immigration extremists, but luckily they're too busy misreading a section of the document to get to the conclusions (note: not talking about you here Chris but some of the articles out there on the internet about this study).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com