Photo
- - - - -

Pennsylvania Republican Mike Turzai explains the goal of his state's Voter ID laws for us

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
84 replies to this topic

#37 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

[/color]

The linked article on list those people who do not have a id from the transportation department. Doesn't list the ;numbers that have the other kinds of id. And the law says people can get a free id from the department of transportation. So I don't see that they have any excuse for not voting.

But but but .............................its all an underhanded consevative plan to disenfranchise democrats, Havn't you been paying attention?

#38 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

so yes i suppose i sure did "fail hard" by mildly misinterpreting your inane proposition.

So we agree, you failed.

#39 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

If the Pennsylvania legislature/governor had not chickened out and done proportional delegation for electoral votes....Obama would have a much more difficult time "winning" the state.

#40 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

[/color]

The linked article on list those people who do not have a id from the transportation department. Doesn't list the ;numbers that have the other kinds of id. And the law says people can get a free id from the department of transportation. So I don't see that they have any excuse for not voting.

I think it comes down to this... there will be a number of people who will be disenfranchised because of this this since they are unable to get to a DMV, don't know about the law, or whatever before the election. Yes, crazy, blah blah, I get it, but for some people it may not be the priority it is for us. Should these people get to vote this election? I think so. But, given adequate time, I think most people can get photo IDs.

It seems to me laws like this should be implemented for future elections(that is, not active for this November) they should take advantage of the upcoming election to spread the word about the policy change. that is, when you go to vote, they tell you the next election you WILL need a photo ID. If you don't have one, they should allow you to vote then immediately set you up with a way to get one. Obviously every polling place can't necessarily issue government IDs but provide information etc on how to get one, which will mean those individuals who right now vote without a photo ID will be explicitly informed of the change and given a whole hell of a lot of time, as well as help, in getting one.

#41 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

Disenfranchised means deprived of the right to vote. Since no one is actually going to be deprived of the right to vote, then I don't see them as being disenfranchised. Its being made slightly (very slightly) more difficult, but thats about it. The only people I know of that are disenfranchised are felons who lost the right to vote and citizens of Washington DC, Puerto Rico, and a few other US territories, since they don't have representatives in Congress.

#42 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

Jerry Richard$on and Gettledouche apologist

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

So we agree, you failed.

actual points addressed: 0

until you do your research like davidson deac and can make a valid point then shut the hell up

#43 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

[/color]

none of this addresses the content of the video, though.

we have three possibilities here given this information:

-turzai is lying. this will actually not stop anybody from being able to vote as normal.
-turzai thinks that enough voter fraud occurred in 2008 that the state will be swung to romney fairly this time.
-turzai believes that people who should be able to vote and would normally be able to a. won't be able to or b. just won't because it's too much of a pain in the ass, swinging the state to romney.

option 2 is such an undeniably insane assertion that if it was proven true i'd completely throw my support behind voter ID and start wearing eagle tears t-shirts purchased from walmart. option 3a is disgusting and 3b is only slightly less so.

#44 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

If the Pennsylvania legislature/governor had not chickened out and done proportional delegation for electoral votes....Obama would have a much more difficult time "winning" the state.

let's pass it in some southern states so democrats could start making off with some electoral votes from republicans in red states all across the board. basing an electoral vote count largely on districts won sounds like a great idea; hell, let's amend the constitution so that every state has to do it and democrats could start pulling some serious mojo out of states that are conservative but have big population centers, like texas.

unless that would suddenly be "unfair".

#45 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

Fwiw, I think a far more important issue than voter id laws is that (unlike a handful of voters that don't want to take the time to get an id) voters in DC and the territories actually are disenfranchised. The constitution should be changed so that they get representatives in Congress and all the territories get electoral votes.

#46 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

actual points addressed: 0

until you do your research like davidson deac and can make a valid point then shut the hell up

Ha ha ha You mad?

You're the one that started with your snarky little comment on what amounted to a throw away line. I'm just pointing out that you are being a bit of a tool.

When you become a mod, and can tell people what they can and can't say, mabe I will care about your opinion. Until then, don't comment on one of my posts, if you don't want called out on your inane comments.

#47 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

Papers Please

#48 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

Ah another how to feel good about an active effort for voter suppression because my chosen party benefits from it thread. Again without a shred of evidence that voter fraud is a meaningful number in any recent election.