• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

There was a time Smitty was considered the number one receiver in the game back in 05-06. He was also considered the best home run threat in the game.

Steve is getting older, and the day will come when he will hang up his cleats. Yet my last dream for him is to see him be the first receiver to break the 2,000 yard barrier. (It's amazing a wideout haven't done this yet)

#17 Cage

Cage

Eternal Hatred

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Smitty is the man. He is proof of the "size fallacy" in the modern NFL. Modern coaches/scouts seem so damn obsessed with size. I love it when "smaller" guys excel....maybe "small" isn't an apt description of Smitty though. He may not be tall, but he definitely is not small; he's built like a tank.

#18 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

Steve Smith is a MONSTER. He's been the face since 2003 (IMO) and is what I wish all of our players could imitate. Its hard to imagine the panthers without 89

#19 weymouthst

weymouthst

#1 zero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

I think Smitty has stated that after playing football, he is done. But maybe, just maybe, he could be a WR coach or something for Carolina. That would be awesome.

#20 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Roddy drops way too many passes

#21 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

Steve made it very clear he does not want to be involved as a coach on the NFL level. I think it's clear there is some animosity built up over the years even dating back to George Seifert.

#22 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

He could play till 40 if the misses would have it. Happy wife happy life, though. That's what he said anyway.

#23 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,491 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

He could play till 40 if the misses would have it. Happy wife happy life, though. That's what he said anyway.

if he can post three more 1,000+ yard seasons in a row i wouldn't rule out him staying for a couple more years even in decline just to pad his stats. another 3000 puts him at #12 all time; 4000 more puts him at #7 all time; if he can break into 15,000 total yards he'll be #4 all time, at which point he is a HOF lock.

#24 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

Yeah, Roddy White is a beast.....in the regular season. He's nowhere to be found during the postseason.

with all due respect you should be looking at that guy throwing him the ball in the post season.

theres a reason roddy didnt do much when vick was over there.

also I feel kind of bad for smith, he lost so much time on his career. Didn't play much receiver his first 2 years in the league, missed a whole year due to a broken leg, missed a couple games for suspension and lost 2 more years from that last year with delhomme and 2010. imagine if he could have a couple of those seasons back...

#25 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

it's mighty quiet up in this place...

#26 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

if he can post three more 1,000+ yard seasons in a row i wouldn't rule out him staying for a couple more years even in decline just to pad his stats. another 3000 puts him at #12 all time; 4000 more puts him at #7 all time; if he can break into 15,000 total yards he'll be #4 all time, at which point he is a HOF lock.

That's less than 5000 more yards. How many years are left on his contract including this coming season?

#27 Vampire the buffet slayer

Vampire the buffet slayer

Fat Alice's Dietitian

• HUDDLER
  • 2,277 posts
  • Locationunder an aluminum hat

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

til 2016 if they pick up the option, 2014 if not.

#28 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,491 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

That's less than 5000 more yards. How many years are left on his contract including this coming season?

like vtbs said... he's contracted for this year, next year and the year after... so getting to 13,500 by then is not unrealistic. and if he's got the momentum of four thousand-yard seasons in a row behind him he's basically a lock to pick up the extra two-year extension in an attempt to add on as much as possible... an extra 1500 over two seasons shouldn't be terribly hard (especially assuming that at that point he'll be playing almost exclusively as a slot receiver with two other guys taking over the outside.)

#29 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

like vtbs said... he's contracted for this year, next year and the year after... so getting to 13,500 by then is not unrealistic. and if he's got the momentum of four thousand-yard seasons in a row behind him he's basically a lock to pick up the extra two-year extension in an attempt to add on as much as possible... an extra 1500 over two seasons shouldn't be terribly hard (especially assuming that at that point he'll be playing almost exclusively as a slot receiver with two other guys taking over the outside.)

You do know that there's an option in his contract for an additional year, yes?

#30 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,491 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

You do know that there's an option in his contract for an additional year, yes?

yeah that's what i was saying re the extra 1500 yards

and of course the front office can restructure/extend him at any point so it's not like he's truly limited by the current terms and length of the contract

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com