Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthro

Shut Penn State Football Down...

Penn State should offer it up.

Every game they play is a dishonor to the victims

Maybe they should. If I were running the school, I probably would offer to do just that. Of course, I probably wouldn't be running the school long after I made the offer.

Fwiw, this may kill the football program anyway or at least put it down at the bottom of the Big 10 for a while. Can't imagine that recruiting will go well for the foreseeable future. And the Lawsuits that are going to come as a result of this are going to do far more damage financially to Penn State than a football death penalty could.

Penn State should offer it up.

Every game they play is a dishonor to the victims

i agree. the university needs to realize that playing for the next couple years is shortsighted. they need to think long-term. how the university is remembered fifty years down the road depends entirely on what measures are taken now. a couple years without football to properly reset is a small sacrifice to make for a system that currently stands to go down in history as complicit in the greatest sports scandal in the history of the world.

hell, kill it for a decade and start over in the 2020s.

the calls for invalidating degrees are hyperbolic, i hope.

the program will likely (hopefully) suffer regardless of what the NCAA does or doesn't do. What potential recruit would want to go there? What parent would let their son go there? Showering in the same place where those crimes were committed? The thought of it makes me throw up a little.

PSU is, obviously, a really weird place, but the one good thing about them now is that JoePa, their Supreme Leader, is dead, so the odds of them ever being this fvcked up again have dwindled dramatically.

the program will likely (hopefully) suffer regardless of what the NCAA does or doesn't do. What potential recruit would want to go there? What parent would let their son go there? Showering in the same place where those crimes were committed? The thought of it makes me throw up a little.

This is actually shaping up to be the best recruiting class they've had in a decade.

None (or at least very few) of the people now at Penn State had anything to do with the scandal. Specific punishment should be meted out to those who were involved, not to the institution when the offenders are already gone. I have never supported group punishment, that punishes the innocent with the guilty, and will not start now. But I will say that the death penalty might at least give pause to other schools in the future.

We've just seen with USC that this doesn't really matter the to the NCAA. That said, highly doubtful they'll get anything closely resembling the Death Penalty.

Take away accreditation and invalidate all degrees from that poo hole.

Death penalty is one thing and is quite possible. fuging over people who put the time in to earn their degrees and had nothing to do with this scandel is another.

This is actually shaping up to be the best recruiting class they've had in a decade.

The 2013 class is, but 2012 was ranked pretty low. The 2013 is before this report came out. Don't know if any of them will renege, but this might impact recruiting for the next couple of years.