• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 rainwater

rainwater

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

Unless the o-coordinator plans on sticking around for 10 years, I don't see it happening. Peyton was helped by the fact that his offensive system rarely changed during his time with the Colts. That helped him take it to another level.

#17 edromeo

edromeo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

A La Peyton Manning?

Interesting concept, especially if down the road Cam learns the offensive system and realizes how he can exploit defenses. I know he isn't close to being able to do this, but who else could better understand what the defense is doing, especially while running a no huddle offense, than the QB?

Like I said, interesting concept to think about. I'm not sure if it will be feasible. Anyway, discuss.

I think there is too much volume to allow for this offense to be run on a purely audible system.
The Colts offense with Tom Moore was very simple with very few formations and very few shifts.
There base offense was almost alway singleback, 2 WR, 2 TE ACE formation.
Chudz offense is much more multiple, thus the volume is large.
There's the typical (San Diego) Coryel I-Form and Pro-Form stuff, there's shotgun spread, empty spread, there's shotgun zone-read, there speed option, counter option.
If they pared the offense down, then I'm sure eventually Cam could run it like Peyton.
But, imo that represents a marked philosophy shift from the offense that Chudz runs now.

#18 Panther_Brotherhood

Panther_Brotherhood

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

Cam is gonna be the Prototype for the future of Spread QB's. College and Pros. Size, speed, agility and passing ability. I think his brain will be pushed because from what we're hearing, the playbook is gonna be even deeper this year and i'm sure Cam won't be wearing a cheat sheet

#19 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

Sell it, Jerry

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,307 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

I've never seen any QB do what Peyton does. Cam is going to be one of the best very soon, but it will be via throws, runs, making people miss, and his enthusiasm.

#20 weymouthst

weymouthst

#1 zero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

I think there is too much volume to allow for this offense to be run on a purely audible system.
The Colts offense with Tom Moore was very simple with very few formations and very few shifts.
There base offense was almost alway singleback, 2 WR, 2 TE ACE formation.
Chudz offense is much more multiple, thus the volume is large.
There's the typical (San Diego) Coryel I-Form and Pro-Form stuff, there's shotgun spread, empty spread, there's shotgun zone-read, there speed option, counter option.
If they pared the offense down, then I'm sure eventually Cam could run it like Peyton.
But, imo that represents a marked philosophy shift from the offense that Chudz runs now.

I will agree, Chud's offense, being quite complex, would require an extensive knowledge of the offense, and offensive, defensive schemes. While complex, Cam could theoretically pull it off, but coaches assistence would be just as effective. Nicely thought out.

#21 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

flash

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,599 posts
  • LocationG spot

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

Ala Tom Brady or Brees**(i really fugn hate giving these guys any props). Tempo wise/audibles they are the best and I know he can play at that level. He is a student of the game and thats what it takes.

#22 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,566 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

I don't know of any other QB (Including Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc) that could do what Peyton does. And no, Eli doesn't really do what Peyton does either.

But realistically, we don't need him to be able to do that. As long as he can run a two-minute drill, we're good.

Agree with Scot here.

Not many QB's in the history of the game did/does what Peyton has been able to do.

The problem is not picking a play and running with it, it's game management, clock management, recognizing what defensive players are coming onto the field, when to go for the big play vs. the chain mover.

Not only do I not think that Cam could do that now, or even for another 5 years, I don't want him doing it.

#23 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,566 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

Also, Chud and Shula had Cam run the offense without the benefit of one of those wrist band cheat sheets. Cam's a smart dude.

This came from Norv/Philip.

Norv didn't want him taking time to look up a play, or relying on the wrist band to not know the playbook inside and out.

#24 edromeo

edromeo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

I've never seen any QB do what Peyton does.

Brady and Brees do it.
Rodgers does some, Matt Ryan does some.
There was a whole generation around just bedore the time of Unitas where most QBs were the playcallers.

#25 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,566 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

Brady and Brees do it.
Rodgers does some, Matt Ryan does some.
There was a whole generation around just bedore the time of Unitas where most QBs were the playcallers.

Those guys call audibles, not the same as what Peyton did/does.

And you are right about the old days...when you ran 45 times a game, and relied on D. Not to mention only having to score 11 to win every game.

It's not the same.

#26 panthers34

panthers34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

he does

#27 edromeo

edromeo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:09 AM

Those guys call audibles, not the same as what Peyton did/does.

And you are right about the old days...when you ran 45 times a game, and relied on D. Not to mention only having to score 11 to win every game.

It's not the same.

Brady goes up to the line with multiple play choices just like Peyton.
What's more is that Brady actually runs the QB gameplan meeting.
lol about the old days...your exxageration contains such little truth its laughable
but even if they ran the ball more often; the QBs still had total control, which btw was the point of my statement

#28 tondi

tondi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

As long as Cam can handle the offense in a 2 minute situation with minimal help from the sidelines that is the main thing to me. He doesn't need to call every play but he does need the ability to go to the line of scrimmage and make an audible call if the D is clearly set up to stop the called play. We have an offensive coordinator and head coach for a reason and it isn't to dump the whole offense on our second year QB to run for himself. Now ten years down the road? Anything is possible but for right now I would get Cam as proficient in the two minute drill and at reading the D at the line of scriimmage before worrying about turning him into Manning.

#29 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

I think the coaches will be trying to take some pressure off Cam versus adding more on his plate.Cam needs a year to refine his passing skills and let the game slow down for him.Cam did an incredible job shouldering more of a load than any qb I have ever seen but he took to many hits and had too many sacks.If Cam has to put up the number he did last year I think that will be a bad sign.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com