Photo
- - - - -

cbssports - Steve Smith donates...still a bad guy...right?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AntiBuc

AntiBuc

It ain't what it was

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

Interesting, albeit a bit rambling, article on cbssports.com

http://www.cbssports...a-bad-guy-right

A lot of NFL fans (not Panther fans) have long-formulated opinions that he's a bad guy. The article challenges the reader to reassess what they think of Steve Smith but doesn't draw a final conclusion.

If all you know about our #89 is his on-field awesomeness, dropping the f-bomb on a missed pass, fighting incidents, and the $100k Aurora victims contribution, you're just scratching the surface. From all I've seen, he's hyper-passionate about his profession, equally passionate about his family, and has donated a gajillion shoes via Samaritan's Feet ministry, even washing the feet of those in need. He doesn't tolerate laziness. He's all about helping kids through soccer coaching and participating in an assortment of football camps.

He thought his mansion was too pretentious, so he scaled down. Not long ago, he interned with a major financial institution to learn proper investing & money management to avoid financial ruin that plagues so many pro athletes.

I like how he issued the challenge for others to give, asking if we're here to store up our treasures or give it away to those in need. What other pro athlete is touching so many lives?

Way to go Steve. We've watched you grow and mature. You're establishing an almost incomparable legacy. We don't know the real you - just see what you do. We Panther fans love you and the rest of the world is taking notice. We can't wait to see you on Sundays this fall and look forward to the day you're in the HOF big guy.

#2 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,640 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

Posted Image

#3 pepaw

pepaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

Enjoyed the read, thanks for posting.

#4 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,182 posts
  • Location704

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

The tax write off on that donation must be incredible.

#5 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,742 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

fug Jake Smitty is the greatest Panther ever.

#6 logic1977

logic1977

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

The tax write off on that donation must be incredible.

I always find this line of thinking interesting. Ok so let's say he writes off the 100k. Maybe that reduces his tax liability what? 30-40k? I don't know about you but spending a 100 to save 40 doesn't seem like a good deal

#7 savage

savage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

i saw the play that instigated smitty punching lucas and while it was a bit extreme, he had it coming to him. it was training camp and jake wasnt even looking smitty's way and lucas hit smitty into the ground. the ball wasnt even going that way. totally uncalled for. about 4 mins passed afterwards and i guess smitty was running through what happened in his mind and decided it was crap and then went up to lucas and decked him.

#8 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:28 AM

i saw the play that instigated smitty punching lucas and while it was a bit extreme, he had it coming to him. it was training camp and jake wasnt even looking smitty's way and lucas hit smitty into the ground. the ball wasnt even going that way. totally uncalled for. about 4 mins passed afterwards and i guess smitty was running through what happened in his mind and decided it was crap and then went up to lucas and decked him.

cool, thanks for sharing. I had never heard a first hand account of the situation.

#9 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,981 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:16 AM

Yeah, I'd never heard that either... always two sides to a story. Obviously Smith could've handled it better, but he's a guy just like the rest of us and a ultra competitive one at that...

Everyone made a big deal of it at the time, but it's fuging training camp, fights happen... it never diminished my view of Smith in the slightest. This latest donation is right in line with the opinion I already had of him.

#10 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,975 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

I always find this line of thinking interesting. Ok so let's say he writes off the 100k. Maybe that reduces his tax liability what? 30-40k? I don't know about you but spending a 100 to save 40 doesn't seem like a good deal

He did not donate 100k to write off 100k. He donated 100k bc he wanted to...tax write offs be dammed! 100k donation for 60k is like a living social deal...40% off

#11 Panths

Panths

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

Dude needs a statue next to Sam, just sayin. And it needs to have a ball spinning on its tip at his feet. Make that poo operable.

#12 Montie_0123

Montie_0123

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

Dude needs a statue next to Sam, just sayin. And it needs to have a ball spinning on its tip at his feet. Make that poo operable.

I'm almost sure when he's done playing football for the panthers there will be a statue.

#13 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,182 posts
  • Location704

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

I can assure you that if you donate 100 large that write off has got to be insane. My post wasn't a slight towards Smith. But when you are mega-rich and have people you trust advising you on your income, there are loopholes and strategies to keep your resources high. I mean every year I write on my taxes that I donated a bunch of clothing to goodwill and receive a pretty nice tax credit. No where near $100,000 though. My buddy is a CPA and I'll ask him and get the facts.

That's like when Cam was charging for autographs, whatever money he pocketed from the marketing company I'd be willing to bet he donated to charity. A lot of these celebrities do it. Some for the goodness in their hearts. Some for other reasons. Either way it was a very commendable act.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com