#121 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

I think it is horribly inaccurate to say he isn't awful in pass protection. Which is my concern in our new offense with our new QB.

I still saw no improvement there. I think he gained a better clue of what was going on....he is just too slow when asked to pass protect.

and if that wasn't awful T play last year then I don't know if awful T play exist ( and I am not grading him on being a rookie thrown into a bad spot....just NFL T play in general).

C'mon man. He only gave up 5 sacks. The 14 penalties were the killer. If he cuts down on the penalties, does not go up on sacks, I would judge that a good second year for Bell. And I see that as very attainable.

If Campbell has impressed at LT, there is no reason to think they would not try him the right side. If he can play, he very well may. You can say that about almost anyone on the right side as of now.

It is the competition that drives the motor. Bell knows what is ahead of him, and he has stayed the course. That should tell you something about his character. C'mon man. Give the guy, and the whole line for that matter, a break. They are working their collective asses off to get better. To make Cam's live easier. And to make you happy, although albet, in a round about way.

Things are not near as dire as some suggest. I hope anyway. And GOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#122 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:51 AM

I am absolutely giddy with excitement for this coming season. Trying to keep my expectations to a 9-7 season with being a contender for a playoff spot is getting to be very difficult...

When I look at the entire team, I see very few weak points. WR has a lot of competition and will no doubt there will be a receiving core than the last three seasons. The backfield is already ridiculous and the oline is only going to be better with even stronger depth. Cam is amazing. TE isn't going to be as strong as it was last season and that does concern me, but I believe in Olsen and Tolbert lining up there on occasion. I'm hoping Barnidge plays his ass off. Oh, and Medlock > Mare please!

The defense... The DL and DB will all be better with even more competition and strong depth. The LBs have been replenished. Both sides of the ball are getting a full offseason, and with a team full of so many young players this is crucial. I'm anxiously awaiting to see how Luke Kuechly looks covering the NFCS TEs and my fingers are crossed to see whomever the #2 CB is be reliable (I trust Gamble). Ron Edwards, regardless of being average, will make the defensive line better along with the two 3rd rounders getting that year of experience.

I am a bundle of excitement D:

#123 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:19 AM

Why do people think Bell should get a pass just because he is working hard?

I have no issue if people think Bell can improve. Hell, I think he can too. I respect him for his work ethic. But that doesn't change the fact he was really, really bad last year and looked horrific blocking Bowers and had a lot of mental lapses. Can he improve? Yes. But stop using that as a defense for his performance last year. As of now, his job should be far from secure. He should be pushed and pushed and pushed everyday to help him, and the team, improve.

#124 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

• HUDDLER
  • 2,615 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:33 AM

Why do people think Bell should get a pass just because he is working hard?

I have no issue if people think Bell can improve. Hell, I think he can too. I respect him for his work ethic. But that doesn't change the fact he was really, really bad last year and looked horrific blocking Bowers and had a lot of mental lapses. Can he improve? Yes. But stop using that as a defense for his performance last year. As of now, his job should be far from secure. He should be pushed and pushed and pushed everyday to help him, and the team, improve.

This. Bell was serviceable last year. Barely. For his circumstances, did he play well? Yes, but I'm not willing to put the protection of our franchise QB in the hands of context. Yeah he was a UDFA with no offseason and was thrust into playing time due to two injuries on the depth chart. I admire him for what he overcame. That doesn't make him good. His play last year was pretty putrid. Don't buy the statline of sacks surrendered for him. Cam is very mobile and hard to bring down. I'm willing to bet Hangman's play suffered last year having to overcompensate for Bell as well.

Did he get better? Yeah, but improving on horrible is pretty standard with experience. I'm hoping he can become all pro if pressed into starting duty again, but I'd rather put my faith in starting the best talent for the job. That very well may be Bell, but I'm not ready to crown him based off of his admirable work ethic and haphazard play.

#125 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

What do you use to grade? Coaches tape, tivo or you tube?

Don't need coaches tape for basic observations.

Does someone need coaches tape to recognize the major flaws in Clausen as a rookie or Cam's strengths?

Don't need coaches tape to recognize Bell was awful in pass protection

#126 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Superior Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

For me Bell did well. Not saying he is franchise RT just yet. He has alot to improve on. Not many 2nd year pros are going to be fully polished. It amazes me that a rookie get beat a couple of times. Probably by some pretty crafty DE and all the critics can post is 5 sack is aweful How many pass attempts 517. Last time I looked that is less than 1% of the snaps. The penalities are 1.5 percent of 962 plays. Not bad for a rookie. Lets try for less then 1% on both this season. Amazes me the critics make it sound like he screwed up all the time. We were 7th in Total Offense and Tied for 5th in points. While Bell can improve (just like anyone) I don't think Carolina would have been THAT good if we had a CRAPPY RT.

I am all for competition for RT (any spot for that matter) If Campbell or anyone else beats him out then all is good in Pantherland. But if Bell is starting RT on opening day then I am going to believe that Bell is Rivera's best option at RT.

The big babies that know it all need to sit down and STFU and enjoy the season. I am sure Bell or whoever we employ at RT is gonna give up a few sacks. After all for nearly 1000 plays per season I am certain the other guy might win a battle or two.

#127 Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious

i want to have Ronda Rousey's children

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

What do you use to grade? Coaches tape, tivo or you tube?

Mostly made up poo in his head according to his past posts. Of course thats an epidemic here on the huddle by everyone, me included. But I do agree that the best guy should get the job.

#128 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:04 AM

Mostly made up poo in his head according to his past posts. Of course thats an epidemic here on the huddle by everyone, me included. But I do agree that the best guy should get the job.

So per you, Bell was not awful in pass protection based on what is good considered good for a starting RT?

#129 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,544 posts

Joe Person@josephperson
Reminder to anyone coming to Spartanburg for Friday practice: It's been changed. Start time is 3:30 p.m.

What a tool lol

is this for real????

I really need too know.

#130 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,262 posts

I am absolutely giddy with excitement for this coming season. Trying to keep my expectations to a 9-7 season with being a contender for a playoff spot is getting to be very difficult...

When I look at the entire team, I see very few weak points. WR has a lot of competition and will no doubt there will be a receiving corps than the last three seasons. The backfield is already ridiculous and the oline is only going to be better with even stronger depth. Cam is amazing. TE isn't going to be as strong as it was last season and that does concern me, but I believe in Olsen and Tolbert lining up there on occasion. I'm hoping Barnidge plays his ass off. Oh, and Medlock > Mare please!

The defense... The DL and DB will all be better with even more competition and strong depth. The LBs have been replenished. Both sides of the ball are getting a full offseason, and with a team full of so many young players this is crucial. I'm anxiously awaiting to see how Luke Kuechly looks covering the NFCS TEs and my fingers are crossed to see whomever the #2 CB is be reliable (I trust Gamble). Ron Edwards, regardless of being average, will make the defensive line better along with the two 3rd rounders getting that year of experience.

I am a bundle of excitement D:

QFT!

#131 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,251 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

is this for real????

I really need too know.

I saw Reed tweet the same thing

#132 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

thanks.....

F's up my day...............I'm 41/2 hrs from camp.

got to go!

#133 CheeseCP

CheeseCP

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSparkle City

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

Was anyone upset with the way the offense performed last year? Did you notice a big dropoff after Bell came in at RT? He's not even an average RT at this point but he hasn't come close to his ceiling yet. I think it would be very hard to argue that Bell is not going to be considerably better this year after getting game experience and an offseason with the coaches. Would I be upset if Campbell came in and beat him out? Not even a little bit. Would I be upset if Bell started all season? Not even a little bit.

The offensive improvement of the team this year is not what's going to make or break our season. It's all on the defense. If our offense comes out and has a repeat of last year, they won't keep us out of the playoffs. If the defense comes out and has a repeat of last year, they will keep us out of the playoffs. No matter what the offense does; no matter what Bell/Campbell does.

#134 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

Don't need coaches tape for basic observations.

Does someone need coaches tape to recognize the major flaws in Clausen as a rookie or Cam's strengths?

Don't need coaches tape to recognize Bell was awful in pass protection

If you are going to call someone awful in pass protection in comparison to every other tackle in the league, I would assume you have watched the play of every tackle in the league as that comparison. The way you make it sound is that Bell has no reason even being on the field. You also make it seem like anyone else could have played better than him. Top that off with the fact that you feel that he showed no improvement throughout the year. Which is contrary to what the coaching staff is saying.

That was the reason I asked you what were you using to "grade" the player. I am not saying you, but a lot of people on this site see a player make some mistakes and place them in the "you suck" box. No matter how much a player improves or how the circumstances behind the mistake they can never see improvement. It takes an announcer on TV or some website to change their minds. Clausen was consistently horrible as a QB. Bell was not consistently horrible as a tackle. Did he make some mistakes? Yes, some poorly timed holding and false starts. However he did play much better toward the end of the year. I think if he was graded against the other rookie RT's that he would "grade" much higher.

#135 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

If you are going to call someone awful in pass protection in comparison to every other tackle in the league, I would assume you have watched the play of every tackle in the league as that comparison. The way you make it sound is that Bell has no reason even being on the field. You also make it seem like anyone else could have played better than him. Top that off with the fact that you feel that he showed no improvement throughout the year. Which is contrary to what the coaching staff is saying.

That was the reason I asked you what were you using to "grade" the player. I am not saying you, but a lot of people on this site see a player make some mistakes and place them in the "you suck" box. No matter how much a player improves or how the circumstances behind the mistake they can never see improvement. It takes an announcer on TV or some website to change their minds. Clausen was consistently horrible as a QB. Bell was not consistently horrible as a tackle. Did he make some mistakes? Yes, some poorly timed holding and false starts. However he did play much better toward the end of the year. I think if he was graded against the other rookie RT's that he would "grade" much higher.

I watch tons of football....any avid fan knows what awful is. Now, that line gets blurry for some when it comes to their team.

I don't care where he grades against other rookies or UDFA rookies. Not about that. I am not judging Cam Newton based on Gabbert. That talk is good for future projections and big picture. I am fine with Bell being here and acknowledge he did okay based on his scenario......but this is a Panther issue for me.....and with our future riding on Newton we don't need someone awful at pass protection learning on the fly as a starter (not when you can control it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.