Photo
- - - - -

How big is the difference between KR and PR?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

kinda bugs me that we have a logjam at WR and we're debating keeping one because he
is our KR. We're not cutting our new PR, who is being counted in with the other WRs.

How big is the difference in the skill sets for PRs and KRs....seems like if you could return
punts you could return kicks....is there really such a difference that you keep another player?

#2 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,959 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

I've always thought returning KOs would be easier

#3 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,417 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

I've always thought returning KOs would be easier

esp. since 75% end up as TBs thanks to the rule changes.

#4 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,996 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

Id guess that KO guys have more top end speed????? I have no idea

#5 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

vision.

#6 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

KR requires more straight-line speed and to take the lanes that are available. Once you get past the initial wave of a defenders you are typically in a footrace with the kicker and that's it.

PR requires more shiftiness and the ability to break some tackles because you have much less blocking ahead of you.

#7 redbuddha

redbuddha

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • LocationCentral Alabama

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Punt return guy needs to be shiftier. A good punter can have a Punt returner completely surrounded by kick coverage when he catches the ball. A good average for a punt return is 10 yards. AE averaged about 5.8 yards. A good average for a kickoff return is 20 yards. AE averaged 11.7 yards.

All other Panther teammates averaged 22-25 yards per kick off return.

http://sports.yahoo....ug=ycn-10690001

Armanti Edwards' Historically Bad 2011 Campaign

Through Week 14 Armanti Edwards has handled all 30 of Carolina's punt returns, generating the 5.8 average per return and longest (or shortest?) return of 17 yards. Edwards was drafted by the Panthers in 2010 due in large part for his potential to break big plays with his speed, but this has not happened through Edwards' first two seasons in the league.

In fact, the opposite is true this year - Armanti Edwards is on pace to having one of the statistically worst seasons as a punt returner in modern NFL history.

Since the NFL went to a 16-game schedule in 1978, a total of 472 punt returners have matched Edwards' year-to-date total of 30 punt returns. Of those 472 players, only 17 have generated fewer than Armanti Edwards' current average of 5.5 yards per return (click here for supporting data from Pro-Football-Reference.com).

The stats don't lie - the Panthers punt return game with Armanti Edwards has not only been bad in 2011, it has been historically bad, and it's time for Carolina to make a change.

#8 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,173 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

Big... PR needs to be able to make one or two guys miss before the blocks kick in.

#9 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

There is a difference, they only appear to be the same from an observers point of view.

#10 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

All I know is when playing against a team led by John Fox, having a good punt returner is far more important than a good kick returner.

In all seriousness, I have never thought about that too much but what said fiery sounds about right.

#11 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

pretty good info, thanks.

I'm guessing that there have been returners who could do both, but they are rare.

#12 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,062 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

pretty good info, thanks.

I'm guessing that there have been returners who could do both, but they are rare.

Best ever was Mel Gray. Best player of today is Josh Cribbs.

#13 Achilles

Achilles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

I would think it would depend on other roster needs. We just happen to have 2 WR doing returns. Often times you see a defensive back do punt return duties for a number of reasons (Hester from Chi or Deion Sanders) for instance. 1. In case of a fake punt you have a pass defender in there. 2 they usually have good hands ( even better than a WR). 3. They move laterally better. 4. They are in many ways less fragile than a tall lanky WR. Joe Adams has more of a DB build anyway, so I think he has an advantage over Edwards.

People already said "shifty" to describe the athleticism of a punt returner. For a kickoff returner I would think you would want more of a pure sprinter (a guy like Michael Bates, for those who remember).

Unfortunately we have neither a Deion Sanders nor a Michael Bates.

That said, I'm looking forward to see how well Hurney and Rivera addressed this in the off season. I expect Adams to be good and much better coverage and tackling.

#14 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,379 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

It simple terms ....you need bigger balls and PR is harder.

You don't have to worry about getting blown up fielding a KO....

#15 thennek

thennek

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

In 2008, Mark Jones handled both KR and PR for the Panthers and was pretty effective.

Since the NFL changed the kickoff rules, I really don't think the KR duties are as important as they once were. Seems like we could stick just about anybody in the endzone to take a knee and start at the 20.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com