Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Of Hangman and Gross

44 posts in this topic

Posted

I think it would be incredibly sick to sign Nnamdi Asomugha, but I don't really see that as being realistic.

If we sign Gross AND Peppers, I'm pretty positive we wouldn't have enough room for anyone else really.

Posted

I think Gross will get payed well. Were ever he goes or if he stays. I would feel that we would sign hangman cause we dont have an back up C and cause he can play almost ever pos on the line and do some KR if he had to lol.

Posted

I won't cut Lucas or L. Johnson. But if you are looking at the roster and compare production vs. salary and you need to cut someone Lucas and Johnson would be ones you would cut IMO.

Of course, not many thought that Wahle was going to get cut last offseason. Just goes to show how much the fan base doesn't know.

Fox dose not get rid of D vets unless he has too see Rucker. I would think Johnson would be gone or its more then likey he stays cause Seward is gone thats for sure.

Posted

Fox dose not get rid of D vets unless he has too see Rucker. I would think Johnson would be gone or its more then likey he stays cause Seward is gone thats for sure.

I'm not saying this is the case but if it came down to cutting Lucas or not being able to re-sign Peppers, I would think that would be a "has too" situation.

Posted

From what I read Gross is likely gone. And honestly he hasn't been that great this year. Good but not great. After seeing how well Otah came in and played i would have a problem picking someone up i FA of through the draft. There are players like Nicks and Baker who are starting this year who were not first rounders. I also think we could work with guys like Omiyale like we did with Bridges and develop them.

If it comes down to Pep or Gross it is no contest. Gross is replaceable, Pep not so much. When it is said and done I think that pep might still want to play here but Gross for whatever reason doesn't seem to or he would signed already.

Posted

From what I read Gross is likely gone. And honestly he hasn't been that great this year. Good but not great. After seeing how well Otah came in and played i would have a problem picking someone up i FA of through the draft. There are players like Nicks and Baker who are starting this year who were not first rounders. I also think we could work with guys like Omiyale like we did with Bridges and develop them.

If it comes down to Pep or Gross it is no contest. Gross is replaceable, Pep not so much. When it is said and done I think that pep might still want to play here but Gross for whatever reason doesn't seem to or he would signed already.

I couldn't disagree more. Gross will not be easily replaced. There is no one in FA that even comes close his talent. As for the draft, you really want to draft a tackle late in the second round and have him start? It's one thing to start a rookie first rounder at RT but a late 2nd rounder at LT, now way. And while Omiyale and Bridges are good backups, they are backups and neither is capable of starting at LT next season.

As for Gross not wanting to play here, most guys bitch and complain about being tagged. Gross on the other hand seemed relieved that he got the tag and was able to stay in Carolina this season. Just because a player is trying to get the best deal possible doesn't mean he no longer wants to play for that team. If anything, I would be more worried about Peppers not wanting to play here. I think he does but I can also see how someone who has spent his entire life in North Carolina would like to get away.

I think Gross could be the easier to sign. He might just be looking to get the best deal possible in Carolina. Where as no amount of money might keep Peppers from leaving. But all of this is just speculation and I hope that both want and will stay.

Posted

Omiyale is an UFA after this season also. OL depth next year is a major issue especially with Bridges off field issues.

Posted

Bump.

Well, in the end, Gross and his agent made the smart gamble by not signing his extension. Remember both sides said they were in 90% agreement in prinicpal but could not come together on the fine details last summer. Well Gross is now in the pro bowl (as a left tackle to boot) and his value has shot up even more....much more.

Keeping him and Peppers just got a lot tougher. There is a good chance Gross will be offered the highest contract ever at the OT spot next March. If we could extend Peppers before March, we could franchise Gross and it might be cheaper than what the average per year contract would be with another team. Still someone might just give us a 1st and 3rd round pick for him which would be fine with me.

Posted

Bump.

Well, in the end, Gross and his agent made the smart gamble by not signing his extension. Remember both sides said they were in 90% agreement in prinicpal but could not come together on the fine details last summer. Well Gross is now in the pro bowl (as a left tackle to boot) and his value has shot up even more....much more.

Keeping him and Peppers just got a lot tougher. There is a good chance Gross will be offered the highest contract ever at the OT spot next March. If we could extend Peppers before March, we could franchise Gross and it might be cheaper than what the average per year contract would be with another team. Still someone might just give us a 1st and 3rd round pick for him which would be fine with me.

I still think that Gross wants to stay in Carolina and that will go a long way in re-signing him. But overall, the chances of Carolina re-signing both of them are a lot lower now that both made the pro-bowl.

Posted

Kurb, the fact that it's a thin year for OT FA's will be offset by the back to back unbelievably deep draft classes for OT's.

Gross will still command good money, but not as much as he thinks.

Posted

Rookie OT's are having a huge impact on the NFL as our own Otah and Sam Baker have shown.

Another factor that will help Gross in the market is his amazing ability to remain healthy. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team offer him an 80 million contract.

Posted

Kurb, the fact that it's a thin year for OT FA's will be offset by the back to back unbelievably deep draft classes for OT's.

Gross will still command good money, but not as much as he thinks.

His penalies, I think, will also drop his number a bit. Teams will figure a rookie will make the same mistakes but for a lower price.