#16 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:31 PM

I remember the two LB's we signed after losing Spoon, Diggs and Keith Adams. Neither one could fully grasp all the aspects of our D so we only kept one. And Diggs was evaluated at teh end of his first season as being a fair player for us (at best) so we gave him a one year extension and that was it. Now look at him after 2 1/2 seasons with us.

Landon Johnson deserves another year to "get it". I think his upside is much higher than Seward's and Anderson's.

#17 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:33 PM

Cutting Diggs would be a horrible move.

I think Johnson getting cut is a no brainer. Getting a steal in the draft with Dan Conner and Johnson's play, or lack thereof, has sealed his fate.

Hackett is cheap, only cut him if you need a roster spot.

Lucas is the big one. With him restructing last offseason I'm not sure if cutting him would help that much. Add to it the incident with Smith and the fact that Marshall has looked bad this half of the season. Who knows.

But as I said I think the cap space is there in 2009 for both Gross and Peppers to resign without any cuts. The problem is future years.

#18 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:33 PM

I remember the two LB's we signed after losing Spoon, Diggs and Keith Adams. Neither one could fully grasp all the aspects of our D so we only kept one. And Diggs was evaluated at teh end of his first season as being a fair player for us (at best) so we gave him a one year extension and that was it. Now look at him after 2 1/2 seasons with us.

Landon Johnson deserves another year to "get it". I think his upside is much higher than Seward's and Anderson's.

I agree.
How much was his deal ? It wasn't astronomical IIRC.

Jake will be an easy sign.
He knows better than to leave the hands of 89. :lol:

#19 Lt Pinkerton

Lt Pinkerton

Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

I would actually keep Hackett.
He is cheap and solid.

I wish we could trade L. Johnson for a pack of gum or something.
Anything to keep from paying him for sucking ass on ST and looking lost on the field.

I've given up on getting rid of Goings, he will be here for next 20 years I think.

Who shall play SLB ? Connor a rookie ? Curry a ST ace ?
Who will play Nickle ? Rookie ? Weasly? :eek:

Nail Diggs is great LB cutting him would be foolish IMO.

Hackett is making basically nothing, and has been OK.

Well we have Connor, Seward, James Anderson, and we could draft a rookie to fill his spot. Diggs has been okay, but not worth his contract in my opinion. I'm probably wrong though.

Nick Goings has a lot of intangibles, but most players can do the things he does. He isn't special and doesn't deserve all of that money.

Ken Lucas has been nothing short of garbage his entire tenure here, and I would love to see the Panthers go out and get Nnamdi Asomugha. Think how good the panthers D would be with Gamble and Asomugha in our secondary, Beason and Davis in the middle and a pretty damn good Defensive Line. The funny thing is, we could probably get Asomugha for the same price as Lucas.

Landon Johnson was overrated coming into Carolina, and he failed to wrestle a starting job away from anyone, and in relief he hasn't been special at all.

#20 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:37 PM

Develop Frank.

#21 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:38 PM

G'luck with Johnson breaking the lineup.

#22 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

Develop Frank.

In his limited time out there he looked good against Abraham.

#23 Lt Pinkerton

Lt Pinkerton

Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:47 PM

I also think that Bridges should be cut.

#24 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

I won't cut Lucas or L. Johnson. But if you are looking at the roster and compare production vs. salary and you need to cut someone Lucas and Johnson would be ones you would cut IMO.

Of course, not many thought that Wahle was going to get cut last offseason. Just goes to show how much the fan base doesn't know.

#25 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

I think it would be incredibly sick to sign Nnamdi Asomugha, but I don't really see that as being realistic.

If we sign Gross AND Peppers, I'm pretty positive we wouldn't have enough room for anyone else really.

#26 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:12 PM

I think Gross will get payed well. Were ever he goes or if he stays. I would feel that we would sign hangman cause we dont have an back up C and cause he can play almost ever pos on the line and do some KR if he had to lol.

#27 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

I won't cut Lucas or L. Johnson. But if you are looking at the roster and compare production vs. salary and you need to cut someone Lucas and Johnson would be ones you would cut IMO.

Of course, not many thought that Wahle was going to get cut last offseason. Just goes to show how much the fan base doesn't know.

Fox dose not get rid of D vets unless he has too see Rucker. I would think Johnson would be gone or its more then likey he stays cause Seward is gone thats for sure.

#28 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

Fox dose not get rid of D vets unless he has too see Rucker. I would think Johnson would be gone or its more then likey he stays cause Seward is gone thats for sure.

I'm not saying this is the case but if it came down to cutting Lucas or not being able to re-sign Peppers, I would think that would be a "has too" situation.

#29 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,459 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:39 PM

From what I read Gross is likely gone. And honestly he hasn't been that great this year. Good but not great. After seeing how well Otah came in and played i would have a problem picking someone up i FA of through the draft. There are players like Nicks and Baker who are starting this year who were not first rounders. I also think we could work with guys like Omiyale like we did with Bridges and develop them.

If it comes down to Pep or Gross it is no contest. Gross is replaceable, Pep not so much. When it is said and done I think that pep might still want to play here but Gross for whatever reason doesn't seem to or he would signed already.

#30 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:05 PM

From what I read Gross is likely gone. And honestly he hasn't been that great this year. Good but not great. After seeing how well Otah came in and played i would have a problem picking someone up i FA of through the draft. There are players like Nicks and Baker who are starting this year who were not first rounders. I also think we could work with guys like Omiyale like we did with Bridges and develop them.

If it comes down to Pep or Gross it is no contest. Gross is replaceable, Pep not so much. When it is said and done I think that pep might still want to play here but Gross for whatever reason doesn't seem to or he would signed already.

I couldn't disagree more. Gross will not be easily replaced. There is no one in FA that even comes close his talent. As for the draft, you really want to draft a tackle late in the second round and have him start? It's one thing to start a rookie first rounder at RT but a late 2nd rounder at LT, now way. And while Omiyale and Bridges are good backups, they are backups and neither is capable of starting at LT next season.

As for Gross not wanting to play here, most guys bitch and complain about being tagged. Gross on the other hand seemed relieved that he got the tag and was able to stay in Carolina this season. Just because a player is trying to get the best deal possible doesn't mean he no longer wants to play for that team. If anything, I would be more worried about Peppers not wanting to play here. I think he does but I can also see how someone who has spent his entire life in North Carolina would like to get away.

I think Gross could be the easier to sign. He might just be looking to get the best deal possible in Carolina. Where as no amount of money might keep Peppers from leaving. But all of this is just speculation and I hope that both want and will stay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.