Pete Prisco weighs in on Stews signing.

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#51 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

Or even better would you like an elite running game or an average running but your pass defense improves by x.

#52 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationGalveston
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

It would fit the debate better if you asked a question like this.

Would you like an elite running game for x amount of the cap or an elite passing game for 2x amount of the salary cap?

look how.much adrian peterson got. And.they hVe no viable option when he is out.

#53 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• LocationGalveston
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

The money that our backs are getting didn't stop the panthers from getting veteran dbs, if that is what they wanted to do.

That's what is lost on most fans.

#54 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

2. The workload at running back. You can make a case that the Panthers underused running backsDeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart last season. So what did the Panthers do in the offseason? They added Mike Tolbert as a free agent from San Diego. The Panthers say Tolbert will be a fullback but also say he’ll get some time at tailback and will be asked to catch passes out of the backfield.

That sure makes it sound like the number of carries for Williams and Stewart, who each have had 1,000-yard seasons in the past, will be reduced even more. But I think people are missing the point. Offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski was riding the hot hand with Newton last season, and the Panthers frequently played from behind. When the coaching staff reflected on last season, I think it concluded that the running backs weren’t involved enough. Count on a conscious effort to get Williams and Stewart more carries.

It might look like Tolbert just complicates things. But players don’t call Chudzinski “The Mad Scientist" for no reason. They know he has big plans for this backfield. We could end up seeing all sorts of combinations of Williams, Stewart and Tolbert, and there could be all sorts of new plays. It sure beats the heck out of the old days in Carolina when variety in the backfield meant a draw play to Nick Goings.

Yea Pat, in order to have a more productive offense, the only thing that makes sense here is to take away touches from Cam Newton, who will be the most premier weapon in the league, and have him handing it off more.

#55 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

And also, I notice that he didn't included the New Orleans Saints*** from 2009 because it doesn't fit his argument. They were 7th in rushing attempts the year they won the super bowl.

I don't see a problem in accumulating as many weapons as possible on offense as long as they can contribute consistently.

It didn't hurt that the Saints* ran so well that year because nobody was willing to stack the box with Drew Brees on the field.

#56 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

...because its a pendulum that won't always swing that way as defenses adjust to it. In fact, this season the run may be more important than ever. No one knows.

Actually the increase in passing yards since 1987 has been going upward fairly linearly. This league isn't ever going back to the way it was.

#57 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

look how.much adrian peterson got. And.they hVe no viable option when he is out.

I'm surely not advocating AP contract. I don't see where you would get that from. His and CJ's were pretty tough on their teams.

#58 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• LocationKurby
HUDDLER

I dont care.
We signed Dwill and Stew to extension and added Tolbert. Suck it up and leave

#59 BANE

BANE

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationCollege
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

I dont care.
We signed Dwill and Stew to extension and added Tolbert. Suck it up and leave

Preach

#60 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

...because its a pendulum that won't always swing that way as defenses adjust to it. In fact, this season the run may be more important than ever. No one knows.

bingo.

defenses are going to adjust to it. it's only a matter of time. offenses will have to be more balanced....and that doesn't just mean having a super stud QB that can run the ball like newton along with "JAG" RBs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users