#16 KissMyConverse

KissMyConverse

ShoGun of Harlem

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

I don't think its as much as he hates the Panthers as it is when he wrote his first article for NFL.com he predicted each division. When he did this he said and to come as a shocker to most the Panthers will finish 4th in the South. I don't know if he really thinks that way or if he is doing it to get hits.
What I do know is that the comment section blew up with people not only calling him an idiot for saying the Panthers were gonna finish last but he dared to see a ***** in the armor of the Steelers and called their defense aging (this one he is right about.)
So now every article he writes to this effect will restate that he thinks the Panthers will finish last in the division until halfway through the year when we are 6-2..... then he will start saying will will finish 3rd.

#17 Cape Fear Cat

Cape Fear Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

Who edited that article? I haven't seen that many run on sentences since the last Huddle thread I opened.

I think someone told them that men can't have periods.

#18 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

Well I dont know about depth but I think Moose was a better number 2 than what we have now but the argument is pointless when you consider we also have Olsen, Tolbert, Stew and Dwill that are now in effect being used as receivers.Do we have a potent passing game is the real question and the answer is yes

#19 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

Who cares

#20 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

you have to agree with schein or you're a homer.

i think that's how that works.

#21 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

stupidest fuging argument i've ever seen. murphy, green, edwards, and gettis didn't play a snap at receiver with this team last year. pilares and tutu got maybe one or two.

That is the point. No one outside of Smitty did poo. Doesnt matter why. That makes us thin at WR.

Hope and potential doesn't make you not thin.

#22 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

stats and rankings are king and the end all of all arguments.

or something....

#23 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

stats and rankings are king and the end all of all arguments.

or something....

Stats aside, his WR comment was accurate. That is all. Doesn't mean everything he said was correct. Or his overall opinion.

DWill breaks his leg....no one is going to say, "Holy cheese ball we are doomed". Steve Smith breaks his leg and suddenly the offense that resembles a gorilla with a chainsaw for a penis.....just isn't that scary and ain't can't afford to be matched with a weak D all season.

#24 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

i think lafell has proved plenty. his lack of numbers doesn't phase me because this is a spread offense with a lot of targets. we just aren't going to have a couple 1,000 yard receivers or really anything close to it. beyond smitty, we have quite a few very reliable receiving targets and that is all that is needed...that and a system and QB that will get the ball to them.

people are looking for another star WR to go beside smitty. the only problem is that the system won't really allow for it.

sure, beyond smith and lafell we have question marks. i just have more faith in those question marks than you do.

if smith goes down, the WR corps may not be feared quite in the way they would have been, but the offense will still be fearful all the way around and it's because of the system and the quality of talent on that offense. it won't be the death of the offense the way it would have been in the past. i have no doubt that the other players would step up. not that we'd have someone take all smith's targets and TDs, but it will be spread out among the other players.

schein is talking out of his ass...again.

#25 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:22 AM

That is the point. No one outside of Smitty did poo. Doesnt matter why. That makes us thin at WR.

Hope and potential doesn't make you not thin.

I think the meat of his argument is that if we had traded for C. Johnson, Fitzgerald and A. Johnson in the offseason your statement would still be true. Our receiving corps outside of Smitty would have only had 800whatever yards, blahblahblah for us last year. But no one would be calling us thin at receiver...

When we have so many new/returning (that didn't have the chance to contribute last year) faces that stand to contribute, regardless of what you think they'll actually do, stats for last year's group outside of Smitty are irrelevant.

#26 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

I think the meat of his argument is that if we had traded for C. Johnson, Fitzgerald and A. Johnson in the offseason your statement would still be true. Our receiving corps outside of Smitty would have only had 800whatever yards, blahblahblah for us last year. But no one would be calling us thin at receiver...

When we have so many new/returning (that didn't have the chance to contribute last year) faces that stand to contribute, regardless of what you think they'll actually do, stats for last year's group outside of Smitty are irrelevant.

That is silly. We don't have anyone proven outside of Smith as a #2.... You don't need Megatron to have a deeper and more proven WR corp.

The fact our WRs outside of Smitty haven't done much isn't irrelevant when looking at this team on paper. Which is what he was doing.

I think LaFell steps up this year...I think limited opportunity is all that held him back last year. But you can't fault someone from looking at these guys outside of Smitty and not being impressed.

On paper, a Smith injury is devastating. On paper, a Williams injury is nothing. It is what it is.

#27 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

i think lafell has proved plenty. his lack of numbers doesn't phase me because this is a spread offense with a lot of targets. we just aren't going to have a couple 1,000 yard receivers or really anything close to it. beyond smitty, we have quite a few very reliable receiving targets and that is all that is needed...that and a system and QB that will get the ball to them.

people are looking for another star WR to go beside smitty. the only problem is that the system won't really allow for it.

sure, beyond smith and lafell we have question marks. i just have more faith in those question marks than you do.

if smith goes down, the WR corps may not be feared quite in the way they would have been, but the offense will still be fearful all the way around and it's because of the system and the quality of talent on that offense. it won't be the death of the offense the way it would have been in the past. i have no doubt that the other players would step up. not that we'd have someone take all smith's targets and TDs, but it will be spread out among the other players.

schein is talking out of his ass...again.

Offense wouldn't scare many people with out Smitty. We would be a rushing attack with little big play threat vertically.

#28 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

disagree but whatever.

#29 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

disagree but whatever.

Okay, hypothetically speaking, who provides our big play potential downfield in our passing attack that can dictate what teams do defensively?

Teams can survive it. Houston for example last year....they ran when their threat went down but they had a top tier D to pull that off. Running teams that win need great defensive play.

#30 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

Murphy and LaFell are the only two behind Smith that have done anything at all in this league, and that's not saying much. Murphy looks the part but will need to catch up to a complicated offense quick. LaFell is a solid role player but I wouldn't expect a huge leap in his stats this year. He just doesn't have the speed. I'd consider 800 yards and 6 TDs a fantastic year for him. I'm just hoping Murphy eventually takes the #2 role with LaFell able to step in if he gets hurt, because there's a guy with big play potential, and a monster in the run blocking game. He just can't stay healthy is the issue.

Saying there's nothing behind Smith is somewhat true, but could be a non-factor once the year starts. At least Keary Colbert and Drew Carter aren't the teams #2 and #3 receivers...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.