Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthro

Paul Ryan scares me more than Sarah Palin

134 posts in this topic

Funny...I'd never heard of Boo Boo Honey until I visited Zod's house.

I disagree. Ryan was picked to solidfy the conservative elements of the electorate, ie the tea party. This is election politics, nothing more, nothing less. If they are actually elected, he will have no more influence than most other vice presidents have had. He will be useful as a liason to the house, but other than that, we won't hear much about him.

That may be true, but I disagree pretty strongly, because if Romney doesn't abide by the will of that conservative electorate, the Republicans seriously risk losing congress and/or the next presidential election in a few years.

Of course, you may be right. I just finished a book by Paul Krugman where he pointed out that many of Romney's advisors are not what you would expect if he was really going to go ahead with all the poo he says he is... and it's totally possible he's just lying through his teeth to get elected (which isn't unique to Republicans).

IMO, though, when you pander as much as he has to his base, he's going to be forced to keep those promises.

i mean it's funny how some of the same posters who attempt to portray themselves as intellectuals often find themselves parroting GOP talking points

happens every campaign season

like a parrot farm around here

dems, too, e.g. the OP

what? All that happened was that Paul Ryan loved him some stimulus, we showed it, and this means we are parrots?

what? All that happened was that Paul Ryan loved him some stimulus, we showed it, and this means we are parrots?

Somehow saying that this makes him "scary"

C'mon, man.

That may be true, but I disagree pretty strongly, because if Romney doesn't abide by the will of that conservative electorate, the Republicans seriously risk losing congress and/or the next presidential election in a few years.

Of course, you may be right. I just finished a book by Paul Krugman where he pointed out that many of Romney's advisors are not what you would expect if he was really going to go ahead with all the poo he says he is... and it's totally possible he's just lying through his teeth to get elected (which isn't unique to Republicans).

IMO, though, when you pander as much as he has to his base, he's going to be forced to keep those promises.

I have no doubt that he will pander somewhat to Conservatives if he wins. But he would have done that no matter who he picked as VP. Fwiw pandering (also known as politicking and diplomacy), is a requirement for the president. I guess George Washington didn't have to do it very much, but every successful president since that has been good at it. Read biographies of Lincoln and you will see he was a master at it.

paul ryan isn't as dumb as palin but the media has decided that ryan is a wonk, even though the numbers on his own (hilariously regressive) budget don't add up so when factoring in the media's portrayal of ryan i think it's fair to say that he's scarier than palin

ryan has a degree in economics iirc so it's pretty disconcerting that he's still peddling that flawed budget of his. he seems reasonably intelligent yet thought he could play both sides on the stimulus stuff. ryan is far more insidious than palin

Every 4 years, both candidates find religion and the middle class.

Repubs find foreign enemies and tax cuts which need to be passed

Dems find women who have been hurting, homeless who need feeding, kids who need educating and seniors who are getting ready to be thrown off the cliff.

This ya'lls first election?

3 people like this

paul ryan isn't as dumb as palin but the media has decided that ryan is a wonk, even though the numbers on his own (hilariously regressive) budget don't add up so when factoring in the media's portrayal of ryan i think it's fair to say that he's scarier than palin

ryan has a degree in economics iirc so it's pretty disconcerting that he's still peddling that flawed budget of his. he seems reasonably intelligent yet thought he could play both sides on the stimulus stuff. ryan is far more insidious than palin

I found this footage of paul ryan sitting on his couch after watching CNN's coverage of his first campaign stop:

happens every campaign season

like a parrot farm around here

dems, too, e.g. the OP

What the...

yes you

J'accuse!

And I wasn't insinuating Ryan is dumber by any means. He's much smarter and politically savvy which scares me bc his political ideology is dangerous