#106 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,374 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

I do believe in the surfer girls in your signature however..Im having impure thoughts free of a judging eye from the clouds.

#107 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

The loud atheist minority drummed Tim Tevo out of the NFL.

• HUDDLER
  • 8,265 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

http://atheists.org/...t/about-atheism

This is from the group that made those billboards. Of course people here probably know more about it, i'm sure.

#108 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,758 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

Christians want atheists to be hypocrites in order to discredit them so badly that it's actually kinda sad.

Ay keep grasping at those straws.

The hell you talking about? I have no desire to discredit atheists, but atheism is typically a belief.

I don't know anyone but an unborn child that literally holds the view that they have no opinion at all on whether or not deities are likely to exist. I have not met a single avowed atheist who does not have some opinion on the likelihood of gods existing; because of this, I say atheism is a belief. Not a belief system, though, and that may be where people think I am attacking it.

The most inclusive atheism basically lumps anyone unexposed to theism in with people who outright reject the existence of any god at all, and both are atheism. I don't agree with that view, and I personally think that atheism is the rejection of existence of the divine, such that in my opinion an atheism would attribute the statement, "there is no god/gods" to be true or mostly true, while an agnostic would say that same statement is possible, and a theist would say it was false.

I tend to view theist-agnostic-atheist on a scale, where on one end you have those who, no matter the evidence, would never accept that God didn't exist (let us assume somehow that God was falsifiable), and on the other end we have those that would never accept that god DID exist (e.g., dude comes out, gives everyone a hug and a sandwich or something). How sure you are that God does not exist I think leads you to different labels. For instance, I don't believe in deities, and I think that the claims of divine intervention have, so far, been largely proven to be false, so I reject the support presented for the belief in deities; but because I do not personally have absolute knowledge of if there is or is not a god, I consider myself agnostic. So right now, my belief is that there is NOT a deity/deities, but that could change with evidence.

#109 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

I think it's funny that Mav and I are being accused of being christians, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

#110 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,265 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

Please tell me where i called specifically floppin or mav christians.

Ffs go back to infowars

#111 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Here's the thing, mav. I use the terms atheist and agnostic pretty much as the dictionary does. Agnosticism/gnosticism has to do with knowledge. In the case of god, I am an agnostic. I don't know that one exists; therefore, the most logical conclusion is disbelief. If you ask me what I believe about the existence of god, I say I am an atheist. I do not believe that a god exists. Neither are beliefs. To me, the clearest, most concise way to describe my views of gods and religion is to say "I am an atheist".

#112 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,374 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

The existence of God/Gods is not so much something you can prove false as there is ton of evidence that it is a man made creation borrowed from pagan beliefs and folklore.

#113 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

Pretty much since we are the only ones other than the "atheist brigade" who are contributing to this conversation, I figured that it was obvious you were referring to us. But if you were just making statements completely out of context, then I apologize.

#114 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,265 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

Pretty much since we are the only one other than the "atheist brigade" who are contributing to this conversation, I figured that it was obvious you were referring to us. But if you were just making statements completely out of context, then I apologize.

My bad. I saw the post where you said you were basically an atheist with no balls, I mean agnostic. I wasn't calling you a christian.

#115 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,758 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

Here's the thing, mav. I use the terms atheist and agnostic pretty much as the dictionary does. Agnosticism/gnosticism has to do with knowledge. In the case of god, I am an agnostic. I don't know that one exists; therefore, the most logical conclusion is disbelief. If you ask me what I believe about the existence of god, I say I am an atheist. I do not believe that a god exists. Neither are beliefs. To me, the clearest, most concise way to describe my views of gods and religion is to say "I am an atheist".

My one problem with this statement is that once you are exposed to something - e.g., the belief in god - you form an opinion about the trueness of that statement, and the trueness about the idea it conveys. As you said, you are agnostic in the case of god - you do not know.

As to the dictionary definitions, virtually every internet source, and the only dictionaries I have seen, tend to suggest that it is a rejection of the belief of deities, which is different from the lack of belief in deities; either way, once one is exposed to the idea of deities, they either reject or accept the notion, imo, even if the rejection or acceptance is conditional on some uncertainty.

Anyway, I'm not trying to make you "the same as Christianity" at all... James, if you weren't referring to me, I apologize but since Floppin and I are the principal posters in this thread advocating atheism is a belief in the last few pages anyway I assumed you meant us.

#116 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

Christians want atheists to be hypocrites in order to discredit them so badly that it's actually kinda sad.

Ay keep grasping at those straws.

SO then this quote was just completely random and out of context, I guess, and wasn't in relation to any recent preceding argument. Gotcha.

I'm an atheist with no balls eh? Which statement exactly gave you that idea?

#117 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

I'm a member of about a million religions. The belief that there is no God, the belief that their is no Zeus, the belief that their is no Thor, the belief that their is no Adnoartina, the belief that their is no Vishnu...

Because not believing in deities is a religion, the same way "not killing anyone" is a form of murder.

#118 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,265 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

If you're not a christian, then that statement didn't apply to you. How hard is that.

But go ahead and get defensive about it idgaf.

#119 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,758 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

If you're not a christian, then that statement didn't apply to you. How hard is that.

But go ahead and get defensive about it idgaf.

It appeared you mistook us for Christians, hence Floppin's post about how funny it was to be called a Christian.

I'm a member of about a million religions. The belief that there is no God, the belief that their is no Zeus, the belief that their is no Thor, the belief that their is no Adnoartina, the belief that their is no Vishnu...

Because not believing in deities is a religion, the same way "not killing anyone" is a form of murder.

I don't think anyone really thinks that not believing in deities in and of itself is a religion. If they do, they're idiots.

#120 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,265 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

But itsa BELEEF so there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com