Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does a special teams coach actually do?

23 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Haven't seen too much direct discussion of this MAJOR issue for the Panthers this year...

As I'm watching preseason games (namely the Houston and Pittsburgh games) I'm still seeing the special teams play poorly. Results have been mediocre to bad throughout the preseason.

My question is: How much blame does Brian Murphy deserve?

You'd think the coach would ultimately take responsibility for the seeming lack of preparation and focus. But...what does a special teams coach really do? Do they have a game plan? Do they have a scheme?

Why is our special teams so weak? THis goes back to the John Fox days and that loser he had in there for 3 or 4 years (name?) that he wouldn't fire.

Is it the players faults for not being in the right position on returns and coverage? How much can Brian Murphy control of this? I mean, he's not the one missing tackles. How much ownership can Rivera take of this problem?

Overall...why do we suck and whose fault is it?

Posted · Report post

he puts the best non-starting tacklers on the field, tells them to stay in their lane and expects them to make tackles.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

A lot of our special teamers struggle with shedding their blocks. Unfortunately our defensive scheme's emphasis on smaller, faster players leaves them vulnerable to blocking.

Posted · Report post

Dunno, we haven't had a real one in years. We ran the last one out of town because he wasn't nice.

Lane discipline is key and obviously isn't emphasized here as you rarely see it happen.

Posted · Report post

THis goes back to the John Fox days and that loser he had in there for 3 or 4 years (name?) that he wouldn't fire.

Danny Crossman.

Posted · Report post

Yep, Crossman replaced Scotty O'Brien and it's been a train wreck ever since.

Posted · Report post

Danny Crossman wasn't just here for 3 or 4 years, he was here from 2003 to 2009, or 7 NFL seasons. That's a lot of suck.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Bad coaching is a big part of it, but a bad roster hurts too. The bottom third or so of our roster is awful. When you waste valuable roster spots on non-NFL caliber guys like Edwards and Clausen you have less room for special teams contributors.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Bad coaching is a big part of it, but a bad roster hurts too. The bottom third or so of our roster is awful. When you waste valuable roster spots on non-NFL caliber guys like Edwards and Clausen you have less room for special teams contributors.

finally someone hits the nail on the head. i guess i am not taking crazy pills after all!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

In Charlotte they steal paychecks.

Posted · Report post

I say, on special teams, any player with a miss tackle resulting in a return over 30 yards, has to wear a girlieman sticker on their helmet.

Girlie.jpg

Posted · Report post

Check.

Mate.