- - - - -

Terrell McClain waived by Panthers

• Please log in to reply
468 replies to this topic

#461 Guest_Irv_*

Guest_Irv_*
Guests

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

I am truly sorry Terrell McClain but your cut muuust be more severe.

MATELO MATELO CAM CAM CAM

Posted Image

I'm drunk

MATELO MATELO CAM CAM CAM MATELO MATELO CAM CAM CAM MATELO MATELO CAM CAM CAM

#462 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon
HUDDLER

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

We could have still picked up Edwards and cut AE. Cutting a 3rd round pick after 1 season seem a like a rush to Judgement. And this whole plan for Armanti is really dumb.

Why is this VERY simple concept so difficult for you to understand?

Keeping AE and cutting McClain/signing Edwards have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Our FO and staff had determined the number of players at each position that they wanted to keep based on talent, scheme we will play, etc. They decided that 6 WR's were the number they wanted to carry. Now, you can argue that AE should have been jetisoned and replaced by another WR....that I can understand and actually agree with.

However, to make the blanket assertion that we should cut AE and carry only 5 WR's so that we can carry another DT is laughable. They determined that they wanted an upgrade at the UT position and that is what they went and did. They upgraded a guy that they did not believe was giving us what we need with a proven vet.

Again, not many will argue that keeping AE over bringing in another WR seems to be the correct choice. But these two transactions are completely unrelated.

#463 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

HUDDLER

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:23 AM

not reading 31 pages and i'd hope this would have already been said by now but.....

this move tells me that
a ) the FO had no faith in mcclain ever panning out and tbh that's probably the correct opinion. dude was not very good and we all know hurney holds on to dudes way too long so if this dude is being cut after 1 season then uh this is prob for the best
b ) the FO expects the team to win now. why hang on to a project that's probably never going to pan out when you can upgrade now and make a run? the team's still a little green in areas but with the issues in new orleans, question marks in tampa bay, and matt ryan's stupid unwarranted yearly hype, this team can legitimately compete for the division title

#464 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

SUPPORTER

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

McClain might one day be a good NFL player. Maybe this will be a wake up call to him. Maybe he reacts better to a more nurturing coaching style. Who knows.
I get the feeling that RR is not a motivator. I'm guessing that he feels that if winning games and seven figure salaries don't motivate you, he can't help you. If you need rah rahs and babysitters, go see if Rex Ryan or Jerry Jones will pick you up.
His drafting of self motivated / high motor players, plus the way he handled the Otah situation makes me feel like I'm correct in this assumption.
Perhaps Rivera likes Fua's and Edwards' work ethic enough to give them more of a chance than McClain.

#465 Louie

Louie

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

I talked to Frank Garcia, former Panthers, St. Louis and Arizona Cardinals Offensive guard, about McClain and Fua. He said McClain didn't pass the eyeball test as an NFL DT. Fua was marginally better. He didn't think McClain could ever be a starting quality DT. I agree with this. Why keep a guy who didn't work out. If he is clearly never going to develop into even a serviceable backup, then just cut your losses and move on. I think the Armanti Edwards argument is a completely different argument all together and it shouldn't be discussed as related to this situation. I also think Armanti Edwards needs to go also, but that will probably happen when Gettis comes off the PuP list.

#466 Snake

Snake

Rivera did What???

HUDDLER

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

McClain had a season to prove something and he didnt. I like how we are willing to move on and not keep dead weight on board. If we can just find some DTs that can hold there ground and some others that can get some push we will be alright. We dont need superstars in this system, just competent.

#467 Toundra

Toundra

100% French meat

SUPPORTER

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Something is wrong with our ability to evaluate rookies then.
Btw the Seahawks are obviouly very happy with my 2012 choice, Jaye Howard.

#468 GAme

GAme

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hurney!

#469 Bogart

Bogart

Village Idiot

SUPPORTER

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

Guess I will throw my 2 cents in this circus of a debate. My impression of this is that from what RR and Hurney stated is that McClain basically quit. That is to say that I think he became complacent about his job and didn't care to get better. It happens with athletes at all levels.

Sometimes a person goes all out to get to the next level and when they get there they stop trying. They feel they have arrived and can rest on their accomplishments so far. In the NFL we all know that's not the case. Scouts and Coaches cannot predict that accurately, nor can any of us. All they can see is what the person has done so far before the draft. In this case they saw enough to draft him. After that it's on the player to take on a new challenge to be better at his craft and stave off all challengers to your position. It appears McClain wasn't listening when he was told he needed to improve.

The FO gave him a shot to succeed because thought he had it in him to be a quality player. He just wasn't living up what was required of him in their eyes to be the player they needed.

Just that simple really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users