Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marijuana increases risk of testicular cancer by two-fold

31 posts in this topic

Posted

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2012/09/10/study-men-who-smoke-weed-more-likely-to-get-testicular-cancer/

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta) — It’s high time to put down that bong. A new study finds that people who use marijuana are more likely to develop testicular cancer.

The study published in CANCER, a peer review journal from the American Cancer Society, compared 163 patients who were diagnosed with testicular cancer to 292 healthy people and questioned participants about their drug use.

Researchers found that people who smoked weed on a daily basis were twice as likely to develop this type of cancer than those that didn’t.

Well...at least they'll have the munchies during the cancer right?

Posted

I knew Lance Armstrong was a pothead

Posted

Lol

Posted

I bet most bicyclers are. Certainly can't lug beer around in those tight outfits...although I would try.

Posted

Talk about small sample size, holy poo. What a horrible article/study.

Posted

I mean why should chronic pain sufferers grow free medicine in their yard when they can be sold far worse and ineffective poo by the government?

Posted

I love it when alternative medicine peeps think everything else is ineffective. /WillyWonka meme

Posted

Calm down. You're in the lucky 50%

Posted

Calm down. You're in the lucky 50%

Huh? Firstly, I don't smoke weed. Secondly......what?

Posted

Eh, the sample size was decently big and it could be enough to show something significant (though they didnt link to the actual study and I'm not a big fan of retroactive studies such as this).

What the article did a particularly bad job of though is giving background info. I'm sure the vast majority of those reading the article have no idea that testicular cancer is far less common than prostate cancer (240,000 US cases/yr vs. 8,590)

About 0.4% of men in the US get testicular cancer in their lifetime and if it is detected before it metastasizes survival is effectively guaranteed (~80% survive if not). Just be sure to check those balls next time you toke up

Posted

Huh? Firstly, I don't smoke weed. Secondly......what?

Chill dude I'm not your parole officer

Posted

Heh, I haven't smoked weed in over 6 years.