Photo
- - - - -

Tell The Truth

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Poll: Gut Feeling (211 member(s) have cast votes)

What did you think was going to happen on Atlanta's final possession?

1. Voted We stop them and win the game (83 votes [39.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.52%

2. Voted We go all Carolina Panthers on their ass and give up an unbelievable, time-defying drive for a GW score (127 votes [60.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

Sell it, Jerry

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

As soon as, during the possession before the final one (not the sack of Cam), we ran it twice in a row for next to nothing instead of passing I knew the Falcons would have a chance.

#32 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

we had them on the 1. they had 0 timeouts and not much time. There is no way anyone should have expected them to score. I just don't understand why we had 4 down linemen, 3 LBs and and 4 in the secondary. We should have had a lot of guys back deep playing prevent. They would have been able to swarm all over White and not allow him to catch that.

#33 Zithers

Zithers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

oh and i didn't even consider going for it. would rather punt and let our D handle things. if we screw up the 4th down then the falcons auto-win. pin them deep and they don't auto-win. whatever.

people who want to fire rivera over this, ask falcon fans what they thought of mike smith going for it on 4th and short all the time last season.

#34 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 7,102 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

The only thing "unbelievable" about it was not having a center-fielder playing deep pass D and not thinking the pass was coming.

#35 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

i knew the panthers would lose when they didn't go for it on 4th and 1.

#36 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 16,183 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

I had no faith in the punt until I saw that we pinned them on the 1. When that happened I was like ok. We got this. The D line is going to apply pressure as they had all day, and we are going to sack Ryan again and get the safety and the win.

However just as I'm finishing my tweet saying Darin Gantt is right, a punt is not a bad play, I look up and see Roddy White making the 60 yrd catch.

When we didn't attempt to get the first and came out for the punt, I knew we were going to give up the score.

When we downed it on the one, a very slight sliver of hope with a vision of CJ busting through for a safety crossed through my mind.

Before I was able to complete my daydream, Nakamura was swatting at air from his rear and their crowd was going wild. My instinct was right as usual.

#37 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

as soon as Cam fumbled the ball instead of picking up that 1st down, I knew our fate...

#38 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,934 posts

I figured they would work the sidelines and win with a field goal. Turns out I was half-right. I didn't expect to give up a huge bomb I figured if anything it would be a dumpoff and multiple missed tackles.

#39 rickyisclutch

rickyisclutch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

I thought they would get to the fifty and then the hail mary would get knocked down. I was feeling rather confident after the punt was executed so well.

#40 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

4th and 1 should be a gimme for us....

Not the way we were running the ball. Our short yardage runs were being stuffed all day.

#41 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

That is irrelevant though. Pinning them at the one was no guarantee.

That was an outstanding play by Pilares... Usually, that's a touchback.

What did you think BEFORE we punted?

before the booth review i was leaning towards going for it and just letting cam jump over the line and i didn't see them stopping that. but they moved the ball back a yard, we had to punt. i thought our defense would come through

#42 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 16,183 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

we had them on the 1. they had 0 timeouts and not much time. There is no way anyone should have expected them to score. I just don't understand why we had 4 down linemen, 3 LBs and and 4 in the secondary. We should have had a lot of guys back deep playing prevent. They would have been able to swarm all over White and not allow him to catch that.

Do you expect one of the NFL's most consistent and reliable kickers to kick the ball out of bounds with the game tied and 1:08 left to play in the Superbowl?

I didn't either until it happened.

Now, as a Panther fan, I understand that we must prepare for the most unbelievably negative outcome and hope that it doesn't happen.

#43 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,687 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

I thought it was too much time until I saw we downed it on the 1. But then that 1st play happened and then I knew we had lost.

#44 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 16,183 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

before the booth review i was leaning towards going for it and just letting cam jump over the line and i didn't see them stopping that. but they moved the ball back a yard, we had to punt. i thought our defense would come through

I actually was thinking the same thing - Cam jumping over the line for a yard... Who knows, but I would've taken that chance over just outright giving them the ball back.

I would've preferred to go back in the full house and either run Cam up the middle/over the top, or run the option, most likely with Cam keeping it.

#45 JSouth

JSouth

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

I knew what was going to happen. I thought it was time to man up and go for the win on 4th and one. I also think Chud needed to be punched in the nutz for getting too cute with his play calls on the last few series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com