• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

In 2005 you did not like the Davis pick and would have preffered a QB,LT,CB,DE. Well Fox never ever wanted anything to do with a rookie a QB. If he did maybe we could have had Aaron Rodgers. We also were set at DT with Buckner and Jenkins. In 06 we replaced Buckner with Kemo.

The years you mentioned we had Gross at LT.
We also had Ken Lucas and Chris Gamble at corner.
We had Julius Peppers and either rucker or Charles Johnson at DE.
Aside from 2008 we had Jenkins

So that leaves a DT over Stewart in 08. Stewart went 13th overall. A DT did not come off the board until pick 29 and it was Kentwan Balmer. I'll take Stewart thanks.

And just to be thorough the next DT was Trevor Laws at 47. No where near the first round did any DT come off the board that year.

See what I mean by looking at things objectively now?

Yes I do, and I still disagree with the picks. You don't look at the next year when you are the GM, the next year should be taken care of already because you don't want to play rooks at big time positions.

You have to look at the next 5 years and stick to your plan. Hurney was not doing this.

Again, I take the BPA, unless it's a damn running back.

I wouldn't have taken Trent Richardson this year even though he was BPA.

I just think that the NFL had devalued the position so much that it's dumb to take them high.

Same can be said for 43 LB's.

#62 broseidon

broseidon

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationYour daughters dorm room

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Am I the only one that thinks Rivera is less the mediocre?

#63 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Phew... thats a close one,I thought your were going to annoint another player a probowler again like you did with Fiametta and Mcclain.

The irony in this post.

Fan: These guys are going to be good!

GM: I drafted these busts

OtherFanDefendingGM: Haha you thought someone the GM drafted was going to be good.

BTW Great job proving how the Steelers draft better than we do, even though you were trying to argue the other way. That's always nice.

#64 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

The irony in this post.

Fan: These guys are going to be good!

GM: I drafted these busts

OtherFanDefendingGM: Haha you thought someone the GM drafted was going to be good.

BTW Great job proving how the Steelers draft better than we do, even though you were trying to argue the other way. That's always nice.

Zod thing was just firing back at him dereailing the thread.

The Steelers draft's are not what make them better than us. Its coaching.

#65 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Am I the only one that thinks Rivera is less the mediocre?

I agree with you so far. Hopefully he can change our minds.

#66 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Zod thing was just firing back at him dereailing the thread.

The Steelers draft's are not what make them better than us. Its coaching.

GM Hires the coach.

You can pile on the coach all you want, I personally think Rivera is an idiot.

We also have issues at the very top of the organization. There is enough suck to go around when talking about the panthers.

#67 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

GM Hires the coach.

You can pile on the coach all you want, I personally think Rivera is an idiot.

We also have issues at the very top of the organization. There is enough suck to go around when talking about the panthers.

I have acknoledged who hired him. Unfortunately JR had him shopping in the bargain bin for coaches when he settled for Rivera. Fox was the right man for the job all the way through 08. At that point he should have been fired but JR was not about to pay a coach to not work.

The Fox/Hurney joint effort did a good job taking over a 1-15 team and leading them to a record of 56-40, 1 superbowl appearance, 2 nfc championship's and 3 playoff appearances from 03-08.

#68 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

I have acknoledged who hired him. Unfortunately JR had him shopping in the bargain bin for coaches when he settled for Rivera.

So in conclusion, Hurney does suck, but so does pretty much everyone else involved.

#69 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

Here's a fun GM question!

Who preceeded Hurney as GM, how did he get the job, and who else did we try and hire?

No fair peeking at Wikipedia or Panther archives. You either know or you don't. :)

#70 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

So in conclusion, Hurney does suck, but so does pretty much everyone else involved.

Pending how you look at it, yes. The orginization as a whole has a record of 125-147 since its inception.

Before Hurney it was 70-112.

So if you look at the record as a whole with or without Hurney this franchise has sucked.

If you dig deeper and try to find out why Hurney has struggled, it all begins in 09 and bottomed out in 2010. We appeared to be rebounding but who knows for sure at this point.

I hold a head coach and GM accountable together for better or worse. The Hurney/Fox era is water under the bridge imo.

The Rivera/Hurney era has given reason for hope but still nothing on the win column to firmly say we have arrived. I think its fair to give them 3 years total if they prove they deserve it this year. If they fail to do so this year, then fug it I won't object to starting over again.

#71 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

There is always the chance that the young team we are building will turn into a consistent winner.

Then again we have been "hoping" for awhile now.

#72 iampantherman

iampantherman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

There is always the chance that the young team we are building will turn into a consistent winner.

Then again we have been "hoping" for awhile now.

Since the beginning of the franchise. Heck, I'd take back-to-back 9-7 seasons at this point, but I've got to get my head out of the clouds and remember who we are.

#73 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,793 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Here's my thoughts on Hurney:

Yes, he can manage the cap.

Yes, he has had some awesome draft picks.

Yes, he loves trading during the draft (which, as a fan, I love, because the Panthers get talked about. Yay!)

Yes, he has had some serious busts.

Is he a great GM? No. Is he a decent GM? Absolutely.

But, at some point, it comes time when a team needs to start fresh. New ideas, new eyes, and new management. It's nothing against him, necessarily, but I do think it is time for a change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com