Photo
- - - - -

Where Is Gettis?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#16 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

He's on the PUP.

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP must sit out six weeks. After that the team has a 3 week window in which to allow the player to being practicing. From the day the player begins practicing there is an additional 3 week window in which to allow the player to join the 53 man roster.

If either of those deadlines pass he'll have to stay on the PUP for the rest of the year.

(I think)

Almost correct. The player cannot practice for the first 6 weeks. They can then rejoin the team and practice for 3 weeks without a roster impact, however, at the end of those 3 weeks they have to make a decision, i.e. put him on IR, or activate him as part of the 53 man roster, or reach an injury settlement. They can't wait until week 9 to start practicing him and extend the decision window out to week 12.

#17 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

SteveReedAP Panthers WR David Gettis says he'll be back on the practice field Monday. Panthers will have 3 weeks to activate him to the 53-man roster.

#18 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Very very very important to see as much Gettis as possible this season, in terms of looking toward the future. If he doesn't show he's got a high ceiling, a WR1 is a top 3 priority this offseason.

#19 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

Very very very important to see as much Gettis as possible this season, in terms of looking toward the future. If he doesn't show he's got a high ceiling, a WR1 is a top 3 priority this offseason.

agreed. we've got to see what he can do with cam.

i really only want to take 3-4 WRs from this roster into next season. add one or two in the draft or thru FA next year.

#20 44johnson

44johnson

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

I hope he comes back super strong and he and Cam have great chemistry. No one is coming to save us.

#21 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

HUDDLER

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

He's at home on his couch...feet propped up...cold drink in one hand...sandwich in the other....and a multi thousand dollar check in his mailbox every week

#22 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

agreed. we've got to see what he can do with cam.

i really only want to take 3-4 WRs from this roster into next season. add one or two in the draft or thru FA next year.

My question is exactly what are we going to see, really, with this bobo offensive scheme we're trying to run this year. I'm not sure we can really evaluate anyone, from Cam to the OLine to a returning WR, until we run something that fuging works.

#23 Fox007

Fox007

HUDDLER

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

Gotta have a QB first. How more open would gettis have been than Olsen was all game last week?

dumb thread

This sums it up nicely.
Olsen could have held up "I AM WIDE OPEN" signs last Sunday, and I doubt he would have been targeted.

Moreover, check downs are often ignored as well.

#24 mwright350

mwright350

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

This sums it up nicely.
Olsen could have held up "I AM WIDE OPEN" signs last Sunday, and I doubt he would have been targeted.

Moreover, check downs are often ignored as well.

I think he's ignoring checkdowns because he has an accuracy problem on short throws and he knows it. It's striking how much worse he is at throwing the short / underneath routes than he is the longer ones. This should be like...at the very top of the list of poo to fix...can't live on the long ball forever if they know you're not going to throw the short one.

Maybe we can get Pickles to teach him the art of the checkdown...

#25 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

HUDDLER

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

can't go wrong with letting him play this season. This season seems to be a lost cause so let him and Cam get some chemistry and see what he can give us. I'd put him on the field a lot. He is the type of receiver we are missing and need.

#26 Fox007

Fox007

HUDDLER

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

He just has to get his technique down, Jake Delhomme couldn't throw a screen pass to save his life either, but he had a pretty good deep ball back in the day.

We could be really dangerous if we connect on our short throws when the deep routes are covered. I see open targets all the time in this offense.

#27 mwright350

mwright350

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

can't go wrong with letting him play this season. This season seems to be a lost cause so let him and Cam get some chemistry and see what he can give us. I'd put him on the field a lot. He is the type of receiver we are missing and need.

I'm not questioning letting him play - I think he should if for no other reason than he needs football to get back into football shape.

I'm just not sure how accurate an assessment we'll get of his abilities from what happens this season. It might be a bit misleading.

#28 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

HUDDLER

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

Did we ever make a move regarding Neblett?

Yeah, he was reactivated to the active roster and we released CB Ron Parker.

#29 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

Yeah, he was reactivated to the active roster and we released CB Ron Parker.

And we resigned Parker to the practice squad.

Also INFO on Gettis and Olsen's newborns...

CHARLOTTE - While many of his teammates will spend their weekend trying to get a brief break from football, Panthers wide receiver David GettisPosted Image will spend his weekend getting ready for some football – at long last.

"I'm practicing on Monday," Gettis said. "It's been a long time coming for me, a lot of hard work and a lot of people's prayers. I'm very anxious and very excited."

Gettis is eligible to come off the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list Monday. He suffered a torn left anterior cruciate ligament 14 months ago that sidelined him for the entire 2011 season, and a hamstring injury on the same leg kept him on the sideline throughout training camp and landed him on the PUP list.

Once Gettis practices, the Panthers have three weeks to decide whether to place him to the 53-man roster or shut him down for the season.

"Physically, I've been good for about a month now," Gettis said. "The last couple of weeks we've been working on the mental aspect. Cutting again - just saying, ‘OK, it's going to be all right' – that's what you really have to focus on.

"I've done a lot of game-type situations, running routes where you feel like you're actually in the game. Obviously, that's not actually a game. It's going to be different when you're actually out there for real, but I think I'm going to be fine."

As a rookie in 2010, Gettis caught 37 passes for 508 yards and a team-leading three touchdowns.

OLSEN TWINS BORN: Kara Olsen, wife of tight end Greg OlsenPosted Image, gave birth to twins Talbot and T.J. Olsen on Tuesday evening, Panthers head coach Ron Rivera confirmed Wednesday.

T.J. must soon undergo the first and most dangerous of three open-heart surgeries. He was diagnosed with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome six months before his birth.

"They had the babies last night. Both were big – one over eight pounds and the other was almost eight pounds," Rivera said. "T.J. is in the neonatal care unit, and they'll go from there. But so far, so good. We'll keep them in our thoughts and prayers."

WELCOME BACK PARKER: The Panthers have re-signed cornerback Ron ParkerPosted Image to the practice squad.

Parker, a second-year player out of Newberry College, started the regular season on the team's practice squad but was added to the active roster Saturday when guard Mike PollakPosted Image went on injured reserve with a shoulder injury.

With cornerback Chris GamblePosted Image out Sunday against Seattle with a shoulder injury, Parker was active and played on special teams. Monday, the Panthers waived Parker to make room for defensive tackle Andre NeblettPosted Image on the 53-man roster.

"We brought Ron up because of the injury with Chris, and we were able to use him on special teams," Rivera said. "He did some good things for us, and he's a young man we want to keep our eye on."

http://www.panthers....47-dac2284007df