#16 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,210 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

it's idiotic. how can you claim to be enraged at how obama won't work with republicans (i'm assuming you do) when you yourself admittedly refuse to engage in open and honest discourse and revert to partisan sniping?

i firmly believe that it is the death of open dialogue that has caused the divide of this nation's constituency and it's ideologues such as yourself that proudly lead the way.

This.

And the cause of death for open dialogue has to be laid directly at the feet of the Republican party.

The Republican party leadership held a meeting at the Caucus Room restaurant in Washington on Inauguration eve and made a commitment then to block every attempt, every piece of legislation, every effort to make economic progress or any effort by the Administration to pass any laws. That's a simple fact Karl Rove, Newt Gingrich and Paul Ryan, among others, have openly admitted.

The result is a record number of filibusters by the Senate Republicans during the 111th Congress.

But, sure, go ahead and believe it's the President not working with Republicans... wouldn't want facts to get in the way.

Posted Image

#17 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,332 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

I'm pretty liberal on some things but I'm far from a democrat.

#18 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,396 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

This.

And the cause of death for open dialogue has to be laid directly at the feet of the Republican party.

The Republican party leadership held a meeting at the Caucus Room restaurant in Washington on Inauguration eve and made a commitment then to block every attempt, every piece of legislation, every effort to make economic progress or any effort by the Administration to pass any laws. That's a simple fact Karl Rove, Newt Gingrich and Paul Ryan, among others, have openly admitted.

The result is a record number of filibusters by the Senate Republicans during the 111th Congress.

But, sure, go ahead and believe it's the President not working with Republicans... wouldn't want facts to get in the way.

Posted Image

projected numbers during obama's first two years?

here are some updated numbers... 136 motions filed; 91 votes on cloture and invoked 63 times....

you know "standard procedure" for the minority party.
Posted Image
That blue line on the 111th is taller than the red line. How can that be?
Posted Image

#19 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

projected numbers during obama's first two years?

here are some updated numbers... 136 motions filed; 91 votes on cloture and invoked 63 times....

you know "standard procedure" for the minority party.

That blue line on the 111th is taller than the red line. How can that be?

Interesting article on the history of the filibuster. As congress has made it easier to stop it, filibusters have become more common.

This is an imperfect measure. On the one hand, it’s susceptible to changes in congressional strategy: If the majority begins trying to break the filibuster more often, you could see more cloture votes, even though the filibuster isn’t actually being used any more frequently. On the other side, it misses the many, many, many filibusters that never receive a cloture vote, either because the majority decides that a cloture vote is too time-consuming — simply holding a cloture vote takes about 30 hours of floor time — or because they won’t win it.

That said, it is, at least, a relatively consistent measure, and it’s the best one we have. And most observers agree that its basic point is correct: We’re seeing many more filibusters today than we ever did before. But I actually think that’s the wrong way to think about it.

The issue today isn’t that we see 50, or 100, or 150 filibusters. It’s that the filibuster is a constant where it used to be a rarity. Indeed, it shouldn’t even be called “the filibuster”: It has nothing to do with talking, or holding the floor. It should be called the 60-vote requirement. It applies to everything now even when the minority does not specifically choose to invoke it. There are no longer, to my knowledge, categories of bills that don’t get filibustered because such things are simply not done, though there are bills that the minority chooses not to invoke their 60-vote option on. That’s why Harry Reid says things like “60 votes are required for just about everything,” though there are a small number of bills where the majority uses the budget reconciliation process to short-circuit the 60-vote requirement.

An interesting implication of this graph: The filibuster has become more common even as it’s become easier to break. Until 1917, the filibuster couldn’t be stopped. And until 1975, you needed two-thirds of the Senate, rather than three-fifths. So as it’s become less powerful, it’s become more common. What that means is that the rise of the filibuster is largely about “norms” in the Senate. It didn’t become more effective and thus more popular. It actually became less effective, but parties chose to use it more

#20 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Well, your source for the information says it all- rather than use statistical data from a reliable, unbiased source- something the Republicans just seem to have problems doing, the Heathen Republican? Really?
"A secular conservative site dedicated to asserting conservative principles without religious ..."

Yep, no agenda there. No reason to confuse fact and fiction.

#21 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,396 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

Well, your source for the information says it all- rather than use statistical data from a reliable, unbiased source- something the Republicans just seem to have problems doing, the Heathen Republican? Really?
"A secular conservative site dedicated to asserting conservative principles without religious ..."

Yep, no agenda there. No reason to confuse fact and fiction.

Well if you can find it on senate.gov, more power to you. Don't you think that was the first place I looked? If the same information came from keitholbermannfanatics.com, would it somehow be more credible?

#22 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

No, but it is available on PRNewswire.com, for example. FactCheck.org is another...

Jus' sayin'

#23 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

No, but it is available on PRNewswire.com, for example. FactCheck.org is another...

Jus' sayin'

Is the chart the same on those sites as it is on the one he used? If that is the case, then it doesn't make any difference, unless you are disputing what he said and not the chart itself.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with ignoring articles that come from biased sites like Huffington or Worldnetdaily, but if its chart that is used by several sites without being changed, then the source doesn't make much of a difference.

#24 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

I'm pretty liberal on some things but I'm far from a democrat.

Understandable, and I like most of your posting this is the tinderbox after all I check any soft feelings when I enter.

#25 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,332 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

Understandable, and I like most of your posting this is the tinderbox after all I check any soft feelings when I enter.

U have feelings? What a woman.

#26 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,396 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Is the chart the same on those sites as it is on the one he used? If that is the case, then it doesn't make any difference, unless you are disputing what he said and not the chart itself.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with ignoring articles that come from biased sites like Huffington or Worldnetdaily, but if its chart that is used by several sites without being changed, then the source doesn't make much of a difference.

If the information was as streamlined as the website I used, I would have used it instead. I knew before I posted that someone would be derping about the source.

Most informative sites I've found talk specifically about senate confirmations or votes to end filibusters.

And let's not pretend Harry Reid isn't a one man filibuster when the House sends up anything budget related.

#27 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

U have feelings? What a woman.

Good point... no lol

#28 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

speaking of "derping", there's a whole hell of a lot of "derping" going on at the top of this list

http://killfil.com/senators/

The data that powers this site comes from a number of sources including: Senate.gov and Govtrack.us. XML files from these sources are pulled in, parsed, and aggregated daily.
My premise is that a vote against a cloture motion is equal to a vote for a filibuster. So basically, the obstruction rate is the number of Nay votes on cloture motions, divided by the total number of cloture votes in the given time period.

#29 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,396 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

huh what

the jumping jacks honda wings in your avatar put my ADD in overdrive

#30 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:34 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.