Photo
- - - - -

USA Today realizes what the coaching staff doesn't (Williams/Stewart)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray

Gazing In The Mirror

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

Williams and Stewart essentially proved their worth on the NFL market as slashers in a power rushing scheme. It's a different deal now.

When they ran out of the I-formation, the backs ran "downhill," as they say. They could quickly hit the designated hole and, with the right blocking, burst through the gates without hesitation.

But it has been a tricky adjustment for Williams and Stewart in the spread, read-option system that coordinator Rob Chudzinski installed last season to take advantage of the skills that Newton brought with him from Auburn.

On called running plays, rather than gearing up to attack a hole, the running backs must wait for Newton to read the defense and decide whether to keep the football or pitch it to his running back. The back might get the pitch. Or he might not get the football – and take a hit nonetheless from a defender leaving nothing to chance.

Oftentimes, when the back gets the pitch, a linebacker or defensive end is in his hip pocket, ready to tackle.

http://www.usatoday....tewart/1646819/

It also talks about how this scheme hurts our offensive linemen as well. We've all seen how good Williams and Stewart can be in an I-formation offense. They were the best ground tandem in the league. They haven't both all of a sudden forgotten how to run the ball. This scheme is killing their production. And it's killing our season.

#2 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

It also talks about how this scheme hurts our offensive linemen as well. We've all seen how good Williams and Stewart can be in an I-formation offense. They were the best ground tandem in the league. They haven't both all of a sudden forgotten how to run the ball. This scheme is killing their production. And it's killing our season.

I'd say killed in place of killing.

#3 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

This scheme is wasting our RBs. It's a complete shame.

#4 asian88

asian88

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationConnelly Springs, NC

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

I believe last year we ran power running football with a mix of read option to keep the defense honest. This year our running game is base off the read option and its failing.

#5 SpeedOFLight

SpeedOFLight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationGreensboro NC

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

I was talking with some Dallas fans yesterday. That read option needs to go and let get back to playing good football. You have d will and stew but yet we go to this scheme. It's baffling

#6 Highlandfire

Highlandfire

There can be only one.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

When you have to tailor your offense to an option QB who can't read defenses, this happens.

#7 broseidon

broseidon

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationYour daughters dorm room

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

The problem with the option is the amount of time it takes.
I believe if Cam where quicker to execute it would work, but at present pace it dont stand a chance

And if you dont have it at this point in the season, then its just not in the cards

#8 klumme

klumme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

When you have to tailor your offense to an option QB who can't read defenses, this happens.

And when you do drugs while pregnant, you happen..

Please, we heard you the first million times. No need to continue.

#9 MGH1989

MGH1989

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

The problem with the option is the amount of time it takes.
I believe if Cam where quicker to execute it would work, but at present pace it dont stand a chance

And if you dont have it at this point in the season, then its just not in the cards

How can Cam be executing it any faster? It is what it is and you said it yourself. The read option just takes too long to develop. Its not about Cam executing it any faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com