xav8tor

Foul Weather Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationOff the Grid

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Nice try, John Kilgo.

Nope, just a guy who was his studio producer of the UNCC games back when we went to the NIT and FF. Also know a half dozen guys in media still here in CLT who owe their careers to him. Worked with him on a few news bits too. Didn't keep up with him after the demise of the Kaplan empire, but when I was on TV/Radio about ten years ago as a guest analyst I ran into a dozen more people that just gushed about him. Also knew one of his biz partners, who was in it with Dean Smith, who, as you should know, was friends with John.

You, young whippersnapper, don't have a clue about what your are talking. Kilgo was a near god of broadcasting here for decades, and last year, when he popped up as a guest on FNZ, I almost had to pull over. Couldn't believe he was still alive and kickin', much less still doing his schtick in front of the mic.

I'm getting to that age where folks in my parent's generation are dropping like flies. I've been to maybe a fourth of the funerals. Despite not having seen John in years, I'll be at his.

#78 LA_Panther

LA_Panther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

I have no clue who is available. I know this board is multiple times more knowledgeable than I.

What say you Huddle?

Bill Parcells

#79 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Nope, just a guy who was his studio producer of the UNCC games back when we went to the NIT and FF. Also know a half dozen guys in media still here in CLT who owe their careers to him. Worked with him on a few news bits too. Didn't keep up with him after the demise of the Kaplan empire, but when I was on TV/Radio about ten years ago as a guest analyst I ran into a dozen more people that just gushed about it him. Also knew one of his biz partners, who was in it with Dean Smith, who, as you should know, was friends with John.

You, young whippersnapper, don't have a clue about what your are talking. Kilgo was a near god of broadcasting here for decades, and last year, when he popped up as a guest on FNZ, I almost had to pull over. Couldn't believe he was still alive and kickin', much less still doing his schtick in front of the mic.

I'm getting to that age where folks in my parent's generation are dropping like flies. I've been to maybe a fourth of the funerals. Despite not having seen John in years, I'll be at his.

I'm a Kilgo fan. Love when he is on the radio.

During the Summer this year, I was outside making cornhole boards and listening to Kilgo when he was filling in for Frank Garcia. This was during the Olympics and he said something about badmitten and how it's not a real sport or something condescending about it and it pissed one listener off so bad that he kept calling and they had to keep hanging up on the guy.

#80 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,442 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Bill Parcells

Oh Lord, no :(

#81 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

The Gambler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

I should be hired. I'm totally qualified since I played NFL Head Coach 09 and won 20 straight super bowls. Are you even trying JR?

#82 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Parcells!!!

#83 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,420 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

Matt Millen FTW!!

#84 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,420 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

More seriously, I have liked the idea of Steve Young being a GM. He has a law degree from BYU, and is obviously an NFL mind.

#85 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#86 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,592 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

nice sig gabeking lol

#87 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

More seriously, I have liked the idea of Steve Young being a GM. He has a law degree from BYU, and is obviously an NFL mind.

Dude what has Young ever done to convince you he could be a successful GM?

His brains are so scrambled I don't know if I'd want him making business decisions.

#88 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,420 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Dude what has Young ever done to convince you he could be a successful GM?

His brains are so scrambled I don't know if I'd want him making business decisions.

Steve Young wouldn't need to make business decisions.. Danny Morrison was hired for that.
Steve would handle the football operations, contracts, scouting.. Steve Young would be capable. Is he the best choice? No, but I think he is capable.. he is very intelligent and has a great NFL mind.

#89 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

Steve Young wouldn't need to make business decisions.. Danny Morrison was hired for that.
Steve would handle the football operations, contracts, scouting.. Steve Young would be capable. Is he the best choice? No, but I think he is capable.. he is very intelligent and has a great NFL mind.

Football operations are business decisions.

Again, what evidence do you have that suggests Steve Young could be a successful GM?

I'm not knocking your opinion bro but I just don't see it.

#90 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,420 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

Football operations are business decisions.

Again, what evidence do you have that suggests Steve Young could be a successful GM?

I'm not knocking your opinion bro but I just don't see it.

Here is a list of 'football operations'. It appears that Danny Morrison may be in charge of 'football operations', but it appears that Steve Young is more than qualified to do all of the thing listed below if needed.
Basics

• At the college level, directors of football operations typically set up recruiting visits between coaches and high schoolPosted Image players, then oversee things such as an athlete's housing and academic affairs once a recruit arrives on campus. In the pros they are typically in charge of a team's scouts. They assign scouting territories, watch film of potential draft picks and make recommendations on trades and free agent signings to the general manager and coach.
Traits

• Directors of football operations must be knowledgeable about all aspects of the game. For instance, at the college level they must be aware of a player's size, speed and strength and how he fares in the classroom as well. In the case of the pros, he must know how a player has fared in college or in the community as directors of football operations often place great stockPosted Image in a player's character. Directors of football operations at every level must be analytical, organized and outstanding communicators.
Background

• Directors of football operations usually have had success at some level of the game as well as plenty of connections within the sports community. The majority are former players, coaches or scouts. Those who work at the college level need to have obtained at least a bachelor's degree. And while a formal educationPosted Image isn't required to be a director of football operations in the NFL, most have a college degree as well.
Prospects

• While landing any job in college or professional sports is never easy, it is far from impossible. In fact, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of coaches is expected to increase by 23 percent before 2018.
Potential Earnings

• The NFL doesn't release salaries of its directors of football operations, but it is believed most make anywhere from $75,000 to more than $200,000 per year. Meanwhile, salaries vary just as widely at the college level, with earnings mostly being based on the size of the program and the football operations director's responsibilities. Some earn no more than $30,000 per year, while others can earn as much as $45,000 or $50,000 per year. However, it should be noted that information on earnings is based on interviews with those in football who wished to remain anonymous and not any firm reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com