Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which players will be gone....

58 posts in this topic

Posted

Gary Barnidge? #HeGone

Posted

CJ doesn't seem like the kind of guy that will restructure for the good of the team. I may be way off base but call it a hunch.

Posted

If CJ were cut a pass rusher would be the 1st pick of the draft now.

Posted

Hardy

Williams

Nakamura

Munnerlyn

Maybe

Beason

Gettis

You just may be correct in your assumptions.

Posted

How realistic is it to cut CJ. Thats one of the few contracts I don't blame Hurney for because it looked like he would live up to most of it, but now it looks like he should have gotten at least 20 million less.

Posted

I guess it boils down to if the new GM and/or coach (if that happens) thinks we have enough pieces in place along with cap room (once we cut some dead weight) to produce a winner now.... otherwise, they'd want to blow up the biggest cap hits no matter the talent level.

That being said, I'm not sure many of the bottom of he roster (Clausen, Armanti) would be cut until camp. I imagine the new regime would want a peek at them. You're not clearing much, if any, cap room by cutting them beforehand.

Posted

Who's safe is a shorter list. Cam Stew Kalil and Amini. Cj, Alexander, and kuechly for the D

Posted

I agree with the above post and think it is easier to see who is safe.

QB: Cam

RB: Stewart

FB:

WR:

WR: LaFell

TE: Olsen

LT:

LG: Amini

C: Kalil

RG:

RT:

DE: CJ

DT:

DT:

DE: Alexander

SLB:

MLB: Luke

WLB:

CB: Gamble if he restructures

SS:

FS:

CB:

Going to be fun.

Posted

Move beason to Saftey or OLB, if he can't do that you got to move him. Kuechly is the MLB from now on.

Posted

cap hits if we cut/traded either of these players in the offseason

Charles Johnson, $18 million

Jon Beason, $12 million

Very true, and most people aren't aware of the impact when they say "trade so and so" or "cut so and so".

The only out is we can spread the hit over two years. So, for example, if we look at CJ, we take a $9 million hit next year, but avoid just under $7 million in salary, giving a net negative impact of $2 million. However, we still would need a DE, and those don't come cheap. In CJ's case, we need to get him back on board for at least 1 more year as we clean up some of the dead money.

In Beason's case, again spreading it over 2 years, the net negative impact is less than a million for 2013, and we already have his replacement on the field. He is very, very, vulnerable right now.