Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PhillyB

What takes more faith: Theism or Atheism?

86 posts in this topic

Atheism and theism are impressively similar. I believe that would be one of the undercurrents involved in the original question.

this is a stupid opinion

i do not believe there are unicorns. no, i have no proof that there definitely aren't unicorns. do i have faith because i know there aren't unicorns?

i know g5jamz will never make a good, informative post and will die fat, alone, and unloved. do i need faith to know that, or does the overwhelming observable evidence support that?

when you believe in a giant floating ghostwriter living in the sky directly impacting your life, the burden of proof is on you to prove that and it does't work the other both ways.

"Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply an admission of the obvious. In fact, "atheism" is a term that should not even exist. No one ever needs to identify himself as a "non-astrologer" or a "non-alchemist". We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers and their cattle. Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious belief."

"If there were good reasons to believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, or that Muhammad flew to heaven on a winged horse, these beliefs would necessarily form part of our rational description of the universe. Everyone recognizes that to rely upon "faith" to decide specific questions of historical fact is ridiculous--that is, until the conversation turns to the origin of books like the Bible and the Koran, to the resurrection of Jesus, to Muhammad's conversation with the archangel Gabriel, or to any other religious dogma. It is time that we admitted that faith is nothing more than the license religious people give one another to keep believing when reasons fail."

-Sam Harris, Letter to a Christian Nation

Great Harris quote.

A few of my favorites, that relate to this debate.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

-- Stephen Roberts

"Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color."

--Don Hirschberg

"An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support."

-- John Buchan

You know your god is man-made when he hates all the same people you do.

--[from Usenet]

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."

-- H. L. Mencken

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

"And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence." - Bertrand Russell

Harris also said in an interview, If I had a magic wand to eradicate religion or rape I would eradicate religion. WOW.

While belief in his atheism is worth any cost, religious belief is to costly.

In a response to Sam Harris's presentation at the Salk Institute, atheist and professor of psychology, Scott Atran said this"I find it fascinating among the brilliant scientists and philosophers at the conference, there was no convincing evidence presented that they know how to deal with the basic irrationality of human life other than to insist against all reason and evidence that things ought to be rational and evidence based. It makes me embarrassed to be a scientist and atheist."

Sam Harris and a few of the atheist on this board are better at smelling rotten eggs than laying good ones.

How do atheists account for suffering in the world and what are your solutions?

I know you can tell me Christianity isnt the answer, but from a atheistic point of view what is?

there is no 'atheist point of view' on solving the world's problems, because atheism is not a dogma with a set of principles to be adhered to. that is like asking what is the bicycle riding population's opinion on the color green. they may all have different opinions. it's not a club or a sect.

I know you can tell me Christianity isnt the answer, but from a atheistic point of view what is?

waaaahhhhh someone tell me what the answer is im an infant child who can't reason past his own nose waaaaahhhhhhhh

How would praying to a celestial being be a better solution? There is no answer. Life is rough, people go through tough times, nothing's perfect.

We always hear about the guy God spared in the plane crash miracle, and then are told to pray for the ones that died a horrible fiery death and their families. This strikes many, many people as completely rational and explainable in a non-explicable way.

Wait, what?

So the atheist has to explain the "sh*t happens" thing?

Um, sh*t happens. Often bad, sometimes good, but mostly the Universe and nature are indifferent.

Plz to explain where the praying thing worked, and when it doesn't why not? Was the answer no? Gimme a break! You actually think the Christian answer to sh*t happens makes more sense?

Our answer is we don't have the answer. Your answer is, despite evidence of universal ambivalence to your teenie tiny existence, you somehow have a direct link to some "all knowing force", that can twist stuff around if you ask politely.

Cripes.

"I never know whether I should say "Agnostic" or whether I should say "Atheist". It is a very difficult question and I daresay that some of you have been troubled by it. As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one can prove that there is not a God." Bertrand Russell.

I guess if your not sure then agnosticism is the next best thing.

Now here is a qoute that relates to our situation today of which atheism has no response except "life is tough get over it" And we wonder why when we turn on the news and the violence in schools and across the world is more rampant every minute. Thanks atheism for your great insight.

Alexander Hamilton (1755-1804)

"Without religion morality falters. When morality falters the Pandora's box of corruption, crime and decay set in to be followed by the demise of the nation."

And Carl Sagan? Really, Seriously..?

With Sagan’s worldview, we are left with non-life giving birth to life, an impersonal universe giving rise to personality, chaos spawning order, and randomness generating predictability. Thats the best he could come up with?

We could go on and on but it really wouldnt matter. You have a choice and as sad as it is one day you will have to answer for that choice. I hope your great intellect can get you past that day of judgement.