Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paid Vaction Act

28 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

They can't afford to pass this act with the economy in the poo hole. Like others have said, small businesses would be basically fuged. This is so European though, almost makes me laugh because every European I talk to they talk about how Americans need more vacation time, and how our lifestyle is so rushed.

Posted · Report post

IIRC that was the same argument offered up when the Americans with Disablilities Act was passed in 1990 - it would cost to much for busnesses to make the required access changes to buildings. Today it's second nature and no one thinks about it that much, as it just seems to be the right thing to do.

And the Europeans are right.

Posted · Report post

It does cost a ton to upgrade facilities for that. And I am sure some of that cost was passed on to the consumer. However, again there is a HUGE difference between helping handicapped people have an easier time doing things and mandating that part time workers (for whatever reason they are part time) have paid vacation.

Posted · Report post

It's different, but not crazy or anything like that. But I was merely pointing out the fallacy of the "we can't afford it!" argument. No one can ever afford to give up anything.