Wal-Mart is pretty notorious for that.

#17 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,645 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:04 AM

Most retail outfits these days as far as I can see are using people that basically work 40 hours a week as "part time" and reverting them from full time to do it as well. Managers have a huge juggling game going on to keep this up, and really have no incentive to move good motivated workers to full time unless they are going to be store managers or something like that.

#18 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

So making them give all workers paid vacation will improve the lives of their workers in general how exactly? My guess is that Wal-Mart will then hire fewer PT employees, make some of the ones they have FT such that they are on salary and require them to do more work fro the same pay as they now get since the cost/employee will rise DRAMATICALLY if they are forced to give benefits.

#19 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 21,645 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:31 AM

Well if they are F/T and they have to do more work because of it, they don't have to stay there.

Of course the cost/employee will rise - thats the point I'm making; the current trend is to screw the employee in any way possible and IMHO it's out of hand.

Hell, lets just hire all illegals, treat them like dirt and be done with it, whaddya say?

#20 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

And if you are PT, you are not working to support anyone (unlike FT workers) so you have even MORE freedom to leave, no? Certainly I wouldn't even dream of thinking I should get paid vacation for a PT job. My old company did it, and lost a lot of dollars and had high turnover because a lot of PTers wanted to work there due solely to the benefits offered, sucked all the benefits up then left. Training/hiring new workers over and over costs money too. Prices will be raised which affects far more people than PT Wal-Mart workers.

Employment laws are pretty protective of malingerers/poor employees in my experience in personnel with my old and HUGE company. Some of it is fear of lawsuits IMO. The fault of companies in my experience is in not treating good FT employees better, not what benefits they offer to PTers.

#21 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 21,645 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

If Part Time jobs were used for their intentions, like I said, I would have no problem saying no to vacation. But now we have 39.5 hours a week part time employees all over the place and it's kind of making things screwy.

#22 Kyle82

Kyle82

• HUDDLER
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationRock Hill SC

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

And we wonder why most of our jobs have gone to other countries. :rolleyes:
Mexicans and Asians will work their asses off for less than $2.00 an hour and not stop but all we Americans want is 'more time off.'

#23 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 21,645 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

I personally like having time off, yes.

#24 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 21,645 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

If it makes you feel more American, I'll be glad to take any extra vacation you have off of your hands.

#25 goodlay

goodlay

Moore than a backup

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:48 PM

They can't afford to pass this act with the economy in the poo hole. Like others have said, small businesses would be basically fuged. This is so European though, almost makes me laugh because every European I talk to they talk about how Americans need more vacation time, and how our lifestyle is so rushed.

#26 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 21,645 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:28 PM

IIRC that was the same argument offered up when the Americans with Disablilities Act was passed in 1990 - it would cost to much for busnesses to make the required access changes to buildings. Today it's second nature and no one thinks about it that much, as it just seems to be the right thing to do.

And the Europeans are right.

#27 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

It does cost a ton to upgrade facilities for that. And I am sure some of that cost was passed on to the consumer. However, again there is a HUGE difference between helping handicapped people have an easier time doing things and mandating that part time workers (for whatever reason they are part time) have paid vacation.

#28 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 21,645 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:50 PM

It's different, but not crazy or anything like that. But I was merely pointing out the fallacy of the "we can't afford it!" argument. No one can ever afford to give up anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.