• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 USCGuardsman

USCGuardsman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Sounds good for Carolina.....GB would probably pop their pants laughing at such an idea

Would they? I'm not the only one to think such non-sense.....

http://pigroot.com/r...kers-gather-com

Scroll way down close to the bottom, second on Panthers http://subscribers.f...m/apps/news.php

http://www.gather.co...281474981701389

Here's a twist with Tolbert on the menu, for a draft pick..... http://bleacherrepor...deadline/page/5

Just sayin, I feel Green Bay will be the play, if any. Jennings would make the most sense for Carolina (for next season). Cobb or James Jones this season, who knows. Arizona and Pitts could also be in play.

#62 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,452 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Without an experienced personnel man in the front office, swinging a trade for a high-priced (and in the minds of many, overpriced) player by Tuesday would be a bit of a feat.

Could happen, but sure as heck won't be easy, and the potential for us getting screwed over would be pretty high.

Offseason trade would be more likely.

#63 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Marguides post should have been the end of this thread. If we trade him the 9.6 million portion of his signing bonus that has not hit our cap yet, would have an immediate hit on our cap. Latest reports show we are roughly about 5 million under the cap. Therefore without cutting 4.5 million in cap space in the next week a trade is impossible.

#64 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,709 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Dwill's contract is very tradeable. It only has guaranteed money for one more year. Any team that wanted his services would only be on the hook for one year of premium rates, after which they could force a restructure or cut bait entirely without a penalty. Some of you are fuging clueless.

#65 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Dwill's contract is very tradeable. It only has guaranteed money for one more year. Any team that wanted his services would only be on the hook for one year of premium rates, after which they could force a restructure or cut bait entirely without a penalty. Some of you are fuging clueless.

Where are you getting your info, because I see no source that says DWill has any guaranteed money going forward? And DWill could redo his contract immediately for any potential trade partners.

The problem is on the Panthers side, not the trading partner side.

I will be shocked if we trade him this next week. In the offseason, maybe.

#66 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

According to spotrac.com, it has 3.2 million of guarnteed money hitting in 13,14 and 15 at 3.2 million a year.

#67 USCGuardsman

USCGuardsman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

Just out of curiousity, where does it say that the trading team has to pay the guaranteed monies? Not being a smart a$$, I am just not to privvy on Cap rules. Or is this under the assumption that the only way to make it appealing would be for the Panthers to cover that money?

#68 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,709 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

According to spotrac.com, it has 3.2 million of guarnteed money hitting in 13,14 and 15 at 3.2 million a year.

Signing bonus counts towards guaranteed money. 16million plus his base salary for the first three years puts him at his 21million guaranteed.

#69 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

That isn't guaranteed money. That is pro-rated signing bonus. That stays with us, not with any potential trading partner.

#70 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Signing bonus counts towards guaranteed money. 16million plus his base salary for the first three years puts him at his 21million guaranteed.

I am not arguing that I know this shitt 100%. That being said the way I understand it, is yes he signed a 16 million dollar signing bonus. We paid it up front. However the cap hit for that signing bonus was spread over 5 years.

16 million divided by 5 = 3.2 million. In 11 3.2 of the 16 came off, this year another 3.2 came off.

so 3.2 x 2 = 6.4 million. Thats the number that has his hit our cap so far. So 16 million had to hit the cap, so far only 6.4 has, leaving us on the hook for 9.4 million more.

Heres a couple exceprts from askthecommish.com

"Question 1.7e
That's cheating! How can you have a real salary cap if all you have to do is give a player a signing bonus to get around it?

Answer: Now we come to the tricky part. The signing bonus IS part of the player's salary. So it counts against the cap. When determining team and player salary, the signing bonus will be prorated over the length of the contract.

For example, if a player signs a four-year deal with a $1 million signing bonus, $250,000 of that bonus will count toward team salary for each contract year ($1 million divided evenly over the four-year contract is $250,000 per year). If a team releases a player, the unamoratized bonus money (the remaining prorated bonus money) counts immediately against the cap.

In our example above, if the player is released after Year 1, the remaining $750,000 (the prorated signing bonus money for years 2-4) counts against the cap in Year 2 -- even though the player is no longer on the team's roster.

What happens if a player is traded or retires?

Answer: We already know that if a player is waived on or before June 1, the remaining signing bonus that has not been included in salary “accelerates” and is included in that year’s team salary. Acceleration also occurs when a player is traded or waived and picked up by another team. The new team is not responsible for any of the original signing bonus. The team that waived or traded the player is responsible for the accelerated signing bonus (in the same manner as described above)."

#71 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,598 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Just hope we trade Dwill to a team he wants to go too. I could see him loving getting traded to Tennessee.

#72 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,452 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Just hope we trade Dwill to a team he wants to go too. I could see him loving getting traded to Tennessee.

To sit behind Chris Johnson?

#73 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

That isn't guaranteed money. That is pro-rated signing bonus. That stays with us, not with any potential trading partner.

Aside from verabage we are on the same page. So the signing bonus of 16 million is spread out over 5 years, correct?

16 divided by 5 = 3.2. We have 3 years left of 3.2 yet to hit the cap as I understand it. So that would total 9.6 million that would "accelerate and hit the cap immediately if traded right?

If I am wrong please correct me

#74 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Williams is a great player. If we call a power run game tomorrow, you all will want him to stay again.. It will be unbelievable hard to get anything close to his value because of his contract. Just keep him and ride it out for the rest of the season.

#75 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

I am not arguing that I know this shitt 100%. That being said the way I understand it, is yes he signed a 16 million dollar signing bonus. We paid it up front. However the cap hit for that signing bonus was spread over 5 years.

16 million divided by 5 = 3.2 million. In 11 3.2 of the 16 came off, this year another 3.2 came off.

so 3.2 x 2 = 6.4 million. Thats the number that has his hit our cap so far. So 16 million had to hit the cap, so far only 6.4 has, leaving us on the hook for 9.4 million more.

What you said is correct, but the remaining portion is 9.6, not 9.4. One final note...his contract had $21 million in guaranteed money. $16 million of that was the bonus as discussed above. The other $5 million was guaranteed salary that they could have allocated to any year they chose. However, per the beat writers, that other $5 million has already been accounted for. So he has no guaranteed money still coming to him.

I know we're beating this to death, but it's good to have understanding of this stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com