Photo
- - - - -

Jim Harbaugh will not be available. How about David Shaw ?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#31 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

i think he's pretty much solved that problem.

Didn't Denver go 8-8 last year?

#32 ZB1224

ZB1224

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationWinston Salem

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

Jake Delhomme for HC.

Idk about HC (lol), but I'd love to see Jake back with the Panthers in some capacity for sure.

#33 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I think its a bit to early for Shaw but he'll definitely be in the NFL if he continues to keep Stanford relevant like this.

Also its not just the offense but the defense has improved under Shaw compared to Harbaugh. I also like that the team is run pro-style.

I think we have to wait till all the players on the team are his recruits to get a true sense of him.

#34 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

Didn't Denver go 8-8 last year?

yup.

#35 TonyN

TonyN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

http://sportsillustr...ef=twitter_feed

Figured I'd post this here instead of starting a new thread or anything.

I still think that I'd prefer Shaw over Kelly, but I'd definitely be open to Kelly. NFL executives seem to like him.

"He runs the best practices I've ever seen," an NFC executive told NFL.com. "I would hire him in a second if I ever had the opportunity."

I don't know exactly what type of offense Kelly would run, but I do know that it'd likely be an up tempo type of offense. it obviously wouldn't be the same thing he runs at Oregon, but the offense would probably have some of the same features imo.

This probably DESERVES its own thread because the reactionay are already clamoring for Kelly and he is the BIG name, but:

His success has been based almost totally on a gimmick offense that will never work at the NFL level. Never. How will he adjust? Who knows?

Strike one.

He seems almost completely indifferent to what occurs on the defensive side of the ball so he will have to be coupled with a top defensive guy.

Strike two.

The guy has no NFL experience. Zero. NADA. NONE. ZILTCHERINO.

Not as a Head Coach, assistant, player or even ball boy.

Basically you are crossing your fingers and hoping Chip Kelly is Jimmy Johnson. I believe Jimmy Johnson is the only college head coach to move to the NFL and win a Superbowl with no NFL experience.

Strike three.

#36 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,682 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

i think he's pretty much solved that problem.

The season isn't over yet, and Denver has been pretty inconsistent.

I don't have anything against Fox, but I think a lot of people in this fanbase overrate him.

#37 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

He played receiver at Stanford for Dennis Green and Bill Walsh. And it's no WCU, but you have to be smart to graduate from Stanford.

Most important question for a Panther head coaching candidate:

Do you have any mannerisms, ticks, or habits that Panther fans will hate like staring into oblivion or chewing gum and clapping faster than the speed of sound?

#38 ZB1224

ZB1224

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationWinston Salem

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

This probably DESERVES its own thread because the reactionay are already clamoring for Kelly and he is the BIG name, but:

His success has been based almost totally on a gimmick offense that will never work at the NFL level. Never. How will he adjust? Who knows?

Strike one.

He seems almost completely indifferent to what occurs on the defensive side of the ball so he will have to be coupled with a top defensive guy.

Strike two.

The guy has no NFL experience. Zero. NADA. NONE. ZILTCHERINO.

Not as a Head Coach, assistant, player or even ball boy.

Basically you are crossing your fingers and hoping he is Jimmy Johnson. I believe Jimmy Johnson is the only college head coach to move to the NFL and win a Superbowl with no NFL experience.

Strike three.

Yeah, I mean I have zero doubt that Kelly can coach a football team. He's an offensive genius, but is he a little bit too creative for the NFL? This might be way off base here (I don't know much about the guy), but his offense seems a lot like Chud imo. Doesn't he run a read option type of offense as well? All I know is that the offense he runs is strictly a college offense. Seems like his entire offense is based on having faster/quicker players and spreading everyone out, and I'm just not sure if that'd work at all in the NFL (although he obviously wouldn't run the same offense in the NFL). I wouldn't be against hiring Kelly, but I definitely have big reservations about it.

#39 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

To those saying "no more coordinators turned head coach"......MOST head coaches are just that.

Sure, he's a college guy, but give him a look. Look at the staff that HE chose to put himself around. Look at what he WANTED to do at Stanford. Hell, call Jim up and ask what he thinks of him as a coach (or any other coach that worked with him). Give him an interview.

As much as I'd like a guy like Cowher, it's probably not going to happen. So, we have to do something. Chico is no good, sure. But why not just LOOK at this guy and see if MAYBE he's worth considering?

#40 Who Said What?

Who Said What?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • LocationEverybody knows Carolina's my home

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

While it certainly didn't end well, LOL @ people thinking John Fox was a bad head coach. He had us competitive every single year up until 2010, which was a throwaway year. We would have made the playoffs in 2004, 2006, and 2007 (well, this is questionable, but we still finished 7-9 with Delhomme out for majority of the year and a spinning wheel at the QB position) if not for injuries. I still remember how unlucky we were in '06. I think he had a major issue with adjusting and was too close to his veterans but still, he was a solid coach. It was time to move on from him after '10 but lets not let that year lead us into believing he wasn't a good coach.

And I don't get this logic in bringing in an old NFL head coach. 1, how many former NFL head coaches are out there who want another job? 2, how many former NFL head coaches are out there who were all that good in their first stint? Just because Rivera was bad doesn't mean anything and considering it was said Richardson didn't want him (along with all the other NFL teams he interviewed), the issue very well could have been Hurney and his evaluating process.

I am not at all familiar with David Shaw but he sounds intriguing.

At this point, it looks like Fox had to be loyal to his veterans. Hurney never brought in any real good young talent except for once every draft. Hell, Fox would only have one player a year to work with. Shaw does sound interesting, and he is young. Plus, he seems like he is really flexible and makes adjustments. He strikes me as one of those guys that if he has equal talent, his team will win most of the time because of his decisions.

#41 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Might be a reach, but I'd like to see Chip Kelly with this offense.

#42 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Bring in Shaw. If not, I would take him as our OC. The guy preaches a good passing game with a strong running game. Exactly what we need right now. I'm all for it. I'm interested in any offensive minded coach.

#43 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,408 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

Yeah, I mean I have zero doubt that Kelly can coach a football team. He's an offensive genius, but is he a little bit too creative for the NFL? This might be way off base here (I don't know much about the guy), but his offense seems a lot like Chud imo. Doesn't he run a read option type of offense as well? All I know is that the offense he runs is strictly a college offense. Seems like his entire offense is based on having faster/quicker players and spreading everyone out, and I'm just not sure if that'd work at all in the NFL (although he obviously wouldn't run the same offense in the NFL). I wouldn't be against hiring Kelly, but I definitely have big reservations about it.

being creative isn't the problem.

being limited is the problem chud is having. he had become as predictable as jeff davidson.

read option is a good option to use....but only if it is a small part of a much more expanded playbook and playcalling.

spread offense works in the NFL, though. it's been working for years and most of the most prolific offenses have been using it and it's becoming more widespread.

chip kelly's offense would work...but him as a NFL HC wouldn't because he doesn't have any NFL experience.

i don't have a problem with him coming from the college ranks and the fact that he has HC experience puts him on pretty much equal level with any NFL coordinators w/o HC experience, but the fact he has no NFL exp. as a player or a coach is a huge red flag and he'd have to have a strong NFL presence on the rest of the coaching staff...including OC, DC, and Asst. HC.

#44 ZB1224

ZB1224

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationWinston Salem

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

being creative isn't the problem.

being limited is the problem chud is having. he had become as predictable as jeff davidson.

read option is a good option to use....but only if it is a small part of a much more expanded playbook and playcalling.

spread offense works in the NFL, though. it's been working for years and most of the most prolific offenses have been using it and it's becoming more widespread.

chip kelly's offense would work...but him as a NFL HC wouldn't because he doesn't have any NFL experience.

i don't have a problem with him coming from the college ranks and the fact that he has HC experience puts him on pretty much equal level with any NFL coordinators w/o HC experience, but the fact he has no NFL exp. as a player or a coach is a huge red flag and he'd have to have a strong NFL presence on the rest of the coaching staff...including OC, DC, and Asst. HC.

Don't get me wrong, I love the spread offense. I'm not disputing that it doesn't work. What I am mostly concerned about is his offense being a spread rushing attack type of offense that is reliant on being much faster/quicker than the defense. Call me out if I am wrong (I don't watch alot of Oregon games), but that's what his offense seems like to me. You are 100% right about him having no NFL experience being a big red flag though. I'm not a huge fan of him really... I like Shaw much better, although he isn't exactly proven yet.

#45 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,408 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love the spread offense. I'm not disputing that it doesn't work. What I am mostly concerned about is his offense being a spread rushing attack type of offense that is reliant on being much faster/quicker than the defense. Call me out if I am wrong (I don't watch alot of Oregon games), but that's what his offense seems like to me. You are 100% right about him having no NFL experience being a big red flag though.

i think that's fine.

in fact i wish we were a lot faster paced than we are.

people may laugh at this, but i would love to have gus mahlzahn running the offense with cam again. he found the best way to utilize cam's abilities because he really does tailor his offense around his personnel, but he's also very innovative but uses much of the same basic principles used by NFL offenses. the thing that i loved most about what he did, though, is his no huddle, hurry up offense. the key for it was snapping the ball no more than 5 seconds after the spot on every down. this wears down defenses, taking away chances for them to adjust to what's going on and creates a whole lot of opportunity for the offense.

i don't really have a dog in this fight as to who we hire after rivera, but i don't want it to be a predictable offense or defense and i'd rather them be innovative to make it difficult for the league to adjust to. the key, though, is going to be in adaptability and variety.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com