Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Rivera failing as a head coach?

57 posts in this topic

Posted

I think the Defense has improved a great deal even with injuries.

The entire problem this year is the offense is the opposite from last year in terms of productivity. Chud just has not got it done and appears to have "out-thunk" himself by scrapping what we did last season and putting too many new wrinkles in that have not panned out.

Is that Rivera's fault? Yes, he signed off on it. What is more troubling though is they doubled down on it when they saw it didn't work and now we are 1-6, too late.

Dude, Jaws said it best. It's a gimmick college offense. That doesn't work in the NFL. You see how good we looked vs the Bears offense wise? If he just called a couple play actions on first down the score could've possibly been different. It's crazy what happens when you mix poo up.

Posted

I understand why you would believe that the odds were against making the kick, but you have to try. It's still an infinitely higher probability for success than a 50 yard hail mary. If Medlock misses that kick from 51 with those winds, no ones holding it against him.

Yeah, like I said, I can see why he did it, but I'm with you that you gotta try.

Posted

*3 years of pathetic drafing = Young players not good enough

*Half the national dept spent on the back field = no good FA veterans

*Not adjusting during the game = this is on Rivera

We have been prepared in every game but the Giants one even woth undertalented player. So someone in the coaching stauff is doing things right. Changing coaches is not going to quick fix this team.

I agree the talent pool is not where it should be but can we give our offensive performance a pass based on talent alone?

Posted

Honestly, I don't think that the team is built for the way that Chud wants to run his O.

He is trying to run a version of the Coryell offense, but without some of the player to do so.

Chud is guilty of abandoning the run, but is it effective even before he looks the other way.

Are our players committed enough to know the playbook inside and out? And if they are, do we have to talent to make it all "click"? I personally think that we are just devoid of talent right now, and are overpaying guys that we shouldn't be.

We need DL and OL like you wouldn't believe, and a WR that can run this system.

Posted

No sense of urgency. I'm sorry but waiting until we're 1-5 to finally do things different is completely unacceptable

Posted

I have always thought that some people are just meant to be coordinators. Not everyone should be a HC and the NFL seems to always be falling in love with the next hot coordinator.

Sometimes it works, more often than not, it doesn't.

This is why Chud was not a serious candidate for being a HC.

Also, Wade Phillips and Dom Capers can run a good defense, but suck as a HC.

2 people like this

Posted

I do not know what the answer is, but I hope Chip Kelly can fix it.

Posted

The whistle from his vag distracts him during the most important moments!

Posted

I have always thought that some people are just meant to be coordinators. Not everyone should be a HC and the NFL seems to always be falling in love with the next hot coordinator.

Sometimes it works, more often than not, it doesn't.

This is why Chud was not a serious candidate for being a HC.

Also, Wade Phillips and Dom Capers can run a good defense, but suck as a HC.

I totally agree. The skill sets for coordinating and coaching aren't directly transferable. That's why I've said all along I want someone with successful HC experience to be our next coach, whether it's in college or the NFL. I'd even think about someone from CFL.

Posted

I just don't think he has been properly prepared and mentored by the people he's worked for. In Chicago, Lovie didn't really want him and replaced him as soon as he could bring in his own guy, so I doubt Lovie was helping him prepare for the next step. In San Diego, Norv just isn't that good himself, so he probably couldn't effectively prepare him.

Some coordinators have a good knowledge of both sides of the ball even while they specialize in one. Rivera is not one of those.

All this adds up to a guy who just wasn't ready.

2 people like this

Posted

His decision about the defense to run on the Bears last drive was so incredibly flawed. Just can't understand. All I can think is he was so afraid of the big play screw up a la the Falcons that he could not see the current game situation. I am disappointed...because we thought we knew he was at least a very good D coordinator.

And, that awful 2 min "drive", in the 1st half of....not sure.....the Seattle game? Hard to believe that was a pro team.

I wanted Rivera to be the man. He said the right things in the beginning. But, once again, I believe this team is undercoached. As someone else said, this seems to be over his head.

Posted

Because every coordinator can't be a HC...