#31 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Investors hate Obama as President so much, the market has almost doubled in value during his time in office. :cigar:

#32 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

If you're going to claim that it's not fair to judge the price of a gallon of gas Nov 2008-Nov. 2012, then it's not fair to judge the stock market, either. It had crashed right before the election, assuring us of this nightmare we now have in office.

#33 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,306 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Investors love QE

#34 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,624 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

The OP made the association between the President and the market, I'm just showing how irrational the comparison and the stock market is in general.

The price of gas is a separate issue, but since you brought it up, the GOP controlled House of Representatives has been actively trying to stop the implementation of rules and regulations to prevent speculators on Wall Street from driving up the price of oil.

There is no reason not to be outraged at the price of oil, but you should try and learn the real reason oil is overpriced during a time of excess global production.

A decade ago, speculators controlled only about 30% of the oil futures market. Today, Wall Street speculators control nearly 80% of this market. Many of those people buying and selling oil in the commodity markets will never use a drop of this oil. They are not airlines or trucking companies who will use the fuel in the future. The only function of the speculators in this process is to make as much money as they can, as quickly as they can.

I've seen the raw documents that prove the role of speculators. Commodity Futures Trading Commission records showed that in the summer of 2008, when gas prices spiked to more than $4 a gallon, speculators overwhelmingly controlled the crude oil futures market. The commission, which supposedly represents the interests of the American people, had kept the information hidden from the public for nearly three years. That alone is an outrage. The American people had a right to know exactly who caused gas prices to skyrocket in 2008 and who is causing them to spike today.

Even those inside the oil industry have admitted that speculation is driving up the price of gasoline. The CEO of Exxon-Mobil, Rex Tillerson, told a Senate hearing last year that speculation was driving up the price of a barrel of oil by as much as 40%. The general counsel of Delta Airlines, Ben Hirst, and the experts at Goldman Sachs also said excessive speculation is causing oil prices to spike by up to 40%. Even Saudi Arabia, the largest exporter of oil in the world, told the Bush administration back in 2008, during the last major spike in oil prices, that speculation was responsible for about $40 of a barrel of oil.

http://www.cnn.com/2...tion/index.html

#35 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,624 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Investors love QE

Exactly, the Fed is driving this train (and has been for decades)... right off the tracks.

#36 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,321 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

So.... surely today's dip had nothing to do with a string of bad news about Europe's economic crisis and how it is affecting Germany's growth and new worries that Greece might exit the euro zone.

Nope it is about Obama. AMRITE? AMRITE??

Good to see many Republicans retreating right back into their bubble that got their asses kicked in the first place.

News in Europe has been bad for sometime, but the market didn't drop like it did today. Today's drop was largely a result of the election, or more properly, that the balance of power has been maintained and its going to be difficult to get an agreement regarding the fiscal cliff.

Had Democrats gained control of the house, or republicans control of the White House and Senate, I don't think the market would have been as jittery as it was today.

#37 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,341 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

The OP made the association between the President and the market, I'm just showing how irrational the comparison and the stock market is in general.

The price of gas is a separate issue, but since you brought it up, the GOP controlled House of Representatives has been actively trying to stop the implementation of rules and regulations to prevent speculators on Wall Street from driving up the price of oil.

There is no reason not to be outraged at the price of oil, but you should try and learn the real reason oil is overpriced during a time of excess global production.

http://www.cnn.com/2...tion/index.html

the title was to lure you in.

#38 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,601 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

News in Europe has been bad for sometime, but the market didn't drop like it did today. Today's drop was largely a result of the election, or more properly, that the balance of power has been maintained and its going to be difficult to get an agreement regarding the fiscal cliff.

Had Democrats gained control of the house, or republicans control of the White House and Senate, I don't think the market would have been as jittery as it was today.

Yes but there was specific news today about European economic crisis and how it is hurting Germany's growth, and new news that rose anxiety of Greece leaving the euro. Plus stock futures were rising this morning until these stories came up.

#39 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Whether Americans want it or not, we are getting a lesson in economics in the coming years. The good thing is that we've elected to do this the fast way. Two decades from now you will remember this message because I am going to tell you what is going to happen.

Companies are already beginning an exodus of their corporate headquarters offshore. The "revenues" lost
to said exodus will hasten what is already a tidal wave of unfundable promises to Social Security and Health Care plans (whatever you wish to call them). In order to keep up with said liabilities to "keep its promise" the government will proceed to "print money" as fast as it can (I leave that in quotes as the currency will be largely electronic by that point). Whatever savings you've gathered, you can kiss that goodbye as it will be worth squat.

The good news is that you'll be able to pay the principle off what qualifies as a mortgage today with what will end up being a month's pay. America will forced to roll back to the rest of the world with respect to its market value for services and the working class's standard of living will drop accordingly.

If our leadership is responsible, we will then re-norm our currency and take advantage of the substantial infrastructure and use that as a starting point to build ourselves back up. If our leadership takes the course of other regimes in the past, we will be using our substantial military to impose their will to "annex" neighboring countries and usurp their resources to compensate for said losses (though it won't be anything close to what we need to make a failing system work). From that, we can expect all kinds of other more nefarious things to happen.

At least we will be dealing with these inevitabilities during my generation rather than my son's to leave it in his lap. So.... in a few words, suck it up buttercup. Regardless of how we will gnash our teeth and flail as a nation in the coming decades, the reality is coming up to be dealt with whether we like it or not.

#40 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,624 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

the title was to lure you in.

I couldn't resist any longer! :thumbsu:

I am sure many overly optimistic traders on Wall Street were hoping for a different outcome, but the forces that got us to this point have been decades in the making and it is going to take a while to right the ship regardless of last night's outcome. History shows the republicans have been in no great hurry to cut the deficit when they controlled the White House and/or Congress. Talk of further increases to the military budget convinced me the GOP is still not serious about the deficit.

It will take shared pain on the part of both major political parties before any meaningful budget reforms are passed. Hopefully, for the sake of every American's future prosperity, that happens sooner than later.

This is a very predictable response by the stock market, and just another pretense to fleece the sheep.

#41 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,321 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Yes but there was specific news today about European economic crisis and how it is hurting Germany's growth, and new news that rose anxiety of Greece leaving the euro. Plus stock futures were rising this morning until these stories came up.

No doubt it was a combination of factors, and europe was one of those factors. But if they do avoid falling off the fiscal cliff, then we will likely see a big jump in the market. And I think they will eventually come to a consensus although it may go past the deadline.

#42 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,538 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Doesn't the umm market axiom apply here? Buy on bad news..sell on good?

*some minds just blown*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com