31 replies to this topic

#16 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

Calipari left UMass just when the situation came to a boil, and they had to vacate a Final Four because of it. Now, it comes out that he left Memphis just when the situation was heating up, and they will have to vacate a Final Four because of actions which happened ON HIS WATCH. Remember this: A LEOPARD DOES NOT CHANGE HIS SPOTS. Or, a tiger doesn't change his stripes, a wildcat can't change his...ignorance?

#17 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:05 AM

Coach John Calipari has received a letter from the NCAA stating that he is not at risk of being charged with any NCAA violations in this case.

Derrick Rose cheated on his SATs or ACTs, whichever it was, so he could play one year of college basketball because that is the new rule. The rule is a joke. A complete joke. It's the NCAA saying "look at us, standing up for the kids", when in fact you are just allowing players to come to college campuses for one year who don't give a squirt of frog piss about academics.

#18 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:12 AM

Thought you guys might like this quote.

Luther Topps, who coached Rose’s club basketball team with Derrick’s brother Reggie, has been aware of the NCAA investigation for three weeks. According to Topps, the NCAA threatened to revoke former Simeon player Tim Flowers college eligibility if Flowers didn’t agree to an interview.

‘‘Tim told me the NCAA kept bothering him,’’ Topps said. ‘‘That if he didn’t talk they were going to take away his eligibility. [The NCAA] thinks that [former Simeon player Kevin Johnson] took [the SAT test] for him.’’

Simeon coach Robert Smith declined to comment on the situation.

‘‘[Smith and I] didn’t know anything about his test,’’ Topps said. ‘‘Reggie moved me and him out of the way long before that, as soon as the money got involved.''

#19 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:20 AM

Thought you guys might like this quote.

Luther Topps, who coached Rose’s club basketball team with Derrick’s brother Reggie, has been aware of the NCAA investigation for three weeks. According to Topps, the NCAA threatened to revoke former Simeon player Tim Flowers college eligibility if Flowers didn’t agree to an interview.

‘‘Tim told me the NCAA kept bothering him,’’ Topps said. ‘‘That if he didn’t talk they were going to take away his eligibility. [The NCAA] thinks that [former Simeon player Kevin Johnson] took [the SAT test] for him.’’

Simeon coach Robert Smith declined to comment on the situation.

‘‘[Smith and I] didn’t know anything about his test,’’ Topps said. ‘‘Reggie moved me and him out of the way long before that, as soon as the money got involved.''

Then why did the NCAA come out and say Calipari was not part of the allegations?

#20 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

Then why did the NCAA come out and say Calipari was not part of the allegations?

The story has just begun, no telling what Memphis has on the squid and if they wanna take him down with them.

Pat Forde will obviously do everything he can to dig up some dirt on the squid.

When is UK going to realize that cheating/hiring cheaters is wrong?

#21 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

The story has just begun, no telling what Memphis has on the squid and if they wanna take him down with them.

Pat Forde will obviously do everything he can to dig up some dirt on the squid.

When is UK going to realize that cheating/hiring cheaters is wrong?

Name me a school that doesn't have baggage. UK wouldn't have hired him had they known this was going to happen, obviously. But still, the NCAA has stated to Calipari that he is in no danger of being hit with sanctions. It's just guilt by association.

Little history for you....Forde is in Pitino's back pocket. He never wrote a negative word about UK while Pitino was there. He brought Louisville down by writing about players driving around in nice cars there.

He hasn't touched the current Pitino scandal. He has come out against Calipari from the beginning. Why? Because Pitino HATES Calipari.

Pitino doesn't want Calipari at UK for obvious reasons. The last remaining bit of his legacy there is in danger.

Wouldn't surprise me if coaches all know little bits of stuff on each other and Pitino doesn't funnel everything he hears about Calipari to Forde.

#22 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

Legacy in danger? lol? What is there to be afraid of, a cheater who might get a Final Four only to have it vacated a few years later?

Damn, you should check out your home at the catsmenopause, the meltdown is pretty funny.

#23 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

Legacy in danger? lol? What is there to be afraid of, a cheater who might get a Final Four only to have it vacated a few years later?

Damn, you should check out your home at the catsmenopause, the meltdown is pretty funny.

And you should shampoo my crotch.

#24 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

And you should shampoo my crotch.

Posted Image

#25 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:50 AM

While this can't help his image Calipari has already been cleared by the NCAA. He cheated on HIGH SCHOOL SATS. Because Calipari can magically appear in the classroom and help him right?

#26 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

UK President Lee T. Todd Jr. said basketball coach John Calipari told him during the coach's job interview about the NCAA investigation into allegations of major rule violations at the University of Memphis basketball program.

"Yes. We knew about this," Todd said from Destin, where he is attending the Southeastern Conference Spring Meetings.

Todd said university officials were confident that Calipari, who isn't named in the NCAA investigation report, did not do anything wrong while leading the University of Memphis team.

"We still are," he said.

#27 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

UK should have known that they were making a deal with the devil when they interviewed Cal. He did the same thing with them as he did with other schools he has interviewed with in the past. He shows them transcripts and SATs of kids that he got into Memphis and asks the school if they would have been able to go to UK. If the answer is overwhelmingly no then he doesn't take the job. In this case, UK gave him the green light to get kids from all academic levels into the school because that is what he wants to do.

I don't know what is going to happen with UK and Cal but I would be nervous about where he takes that program if I am a UK fan. There are 3 really bad things in the mix here:

#1 - Someone took the SAT for a player (probably their best player)

#2 - A coach implicated Memphis in giving money to a player in the Memphis Commerical Appeal stating, ‘‘[Smith and I] didn’t know anything about his test,’’ Topps said. ‘‘Reggie moved me and him out of the way long before that, as soon as the money got involved.’’

#3 - Rose had his grades changed after he graduated from Simeon to send to school and then they are accused of changing them back. That news is new so I don't know much about it.

There are also SERIOUS questions about Wall qualifying. If it comes out that Wall gets into UK the same way that Rose got into Memphis that is the end of Cal..he will be gone before he gets a chance to win a title. It would not surprise me in the least if we hear about another investigation into Walls recruitment...that is not the first time I have said this.

#28 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:50 PM

There are also SERIOUS questions about Wall qualifying. If it comes out that Wall gets into UK the same way that Rose got into Memphis that is the end of Cal..he will be gone before he gets a chance to win a title. It would not surprise me in the least if we hear about another investigation into Walls recruitment...that is not the first time I have said this.

There's no doubt that there will be great scrutiny applied to Wall. But until you catch the man, you gotta live with the man. So far he's been convicted of nothing. Suspected, maybe, but not convicted...

#29 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:51 PM

http://www.sportingn...ic.php?t=553953

The letter that arrived back in January to University of Memphis president Shirley Raines' office stated up front she had some serious issues in her athletic department. The words "major violations" are right there, like a Category 5 hurricane warning to a person living in a beachfront home.

And then, for six and a half pages, the "notice of allegations" goes on about women's golf.

A show of hands: How many knew Memphis even had a women's golf team? Who figured there could be anything major about it?

There are some substantial charges against the women's golf program, which is how new Kentucky coach John Calipari came to find himself in the headlines. His name appears nowhere in the report, but two allegations regarding the Tigers basketball program he once coached have been extrapolated to "major" because they were stuffed under the same umbrella as the golf case.

Under ordinary circumstances, the issues involving the basketball team would be disposed of fairly simply. The accusation that a player, reportedly star point guard Derrick Rose, did not take his own SAT is a huge deal. There's not much worse than academic fraud. But this customarily would not constitute a major violation against the program because no Memphis staff member is alleged to have facilitated it or known about it.

A charge that a family member of a player received free travel, reportedly Rose's brother Reggie, would be disposed of with a check to reimburse the university for its expense.

It's not so neat and quiet now. The charges are a big deal in Memphis, Kentucky and in places where people have some interest in Kentucky basketball, which is more or less everywhere. The semantics and technicalities of why the basketball charges are considered to be major won't really matter.

No one will want to hear Memphis is not in the habit of letting people fly free on its team charters. Some of its most generous boosters -- people who have given upward of a half-million dollars to the athletic department -- have hopped on board when convenient. They always were charged at the end. The person who allegedly received free trips paid for some, also. The gentleman who handles the team's travel is one of the most thorough, meticulous people you will encounter. If Memphis wasn't fully reimbursed, it's not because the traveler did not receive a bill.

The university apparently feels good about its response to the charges. There has been speculation that if a player cheated on his SAT and rendered himself ineligible that the Tigers' NCAA-record 38 victories and 2008 Final Four appearance could be vacated. However, if it's not proven Memphis had reason to know the player was ineligible -- indeed, the NCAA clearinghouse had certified the eligibility of that season's freshmen -- it would be hard to justify that action. The coaches were told the kid could play, so they played him.

This is not to say that in trying to make this all go away the University of Memphis might not offer the surrender of the Final Four as a solution.

That would hurt the players who competed and the fans who followed the team, but they know what they accomplished. It's Calipari who has the most to lose if 2008 were to be stricken from the record because the accomplishments of his 1996 Massachusetts team already have an asterisk attached.

That came as the result of star center Marcus Camby's admission he received payment from a prospective agent. If Calipari were to have two Final Fours wiped away, his reputation would absorb the most punishing blow to date.

The only good news for Calipari in all this is the NCAA pretty much turned over the tables in the Tigers basketball program once it entered the door to check on women's golf. If this is all there was to find, the basketball program was being run reasonably well.

It won't play like that publicly, though. Memphis has some serious allegations to defend in women's golf, but no one really noticed those issues existed. The NCAA justice system is a complicated apparatus that sometimes defies easy explanation. It's not so tough to figure out who is a star and who is not.

Good read

#30 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:53 PM

http://www.sportingn...ic.php?t=553953

Good read

I read that article a little while ago...Not convincing to me when you have ex-coaches saying that money exchanged hands between Memphis associates and Rose. If you can get away with it then great...but sometimes you get burned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.