The Southern Strategy - The Lee Atwater Interview

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

You start out in 1954 by saying, “N-----, n-----, n-----.” By 1968 you can’t say “n-----”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “N-----, n-----.”

#2 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

(and resurrected)

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

fug republicans.

#3 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,404 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Yep. This currently going on in the rep party. They have a black man app that is something to behold.

#4 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,968 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

weird how I had only heard the term 'southern strategy' about twice in my life until we elected a black president. Since then I've heard it 23984843587243 times.

Must be a coincidence.

#5 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,540 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

I'm constantly surprised at how biased Delhommy is in his opinions.

I consider him fairly intelligent, EXCEPT in this forum.

#6 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,404 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

i hope he doesn't think Wang Chung is still on tour.

#7 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

weird how I had only heard the term 'southern strategy' about twice in my life until we elected a black president. Since then I've heard it 23984843587243 times.

Must be a coincidence.

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0813119049

Release Date: January 11, 1996

#8 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,968 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

and yet

it's 2012

#9 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

and yet

it's 2012

Tell that to the Republican party.

#10 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

In light of the recent election results and demographics, why wouldn't this be relevant. The chickens have come to roost

#11 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,968 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

no agenda, no astroturfing, no parroting.

Got it, carry on.

#12 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

http://www.cbsnews.c...tlement-reform/

#13 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,397 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Must be a coincidence.

A lot of younger people have no idea how rare republicans were in the south 40-50 years ago or why it suddenly changed.

Before the Southern Strategy, finding a republican in North Carolina outside of Mecklenburg County was about as easy as finding a hen with teeth. No self respecting southerner would vote for the "Party of Lincoln". Republicans were primarily rich businessmen/bankers and transplanted yankees from the big city of Charlotte.

Didn't take long after civil rights legislation for the National Republicans to make inroads into a region that they had largely ignored since reconstruction.

#14 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,968 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

oh i don't doubt the validity of the southern strategy and its roots in the republican party.

I just think the frequency and vigor that it's mentioned in paralleling today's political climate seems like a pretty well-coordinated effort to portray the presidents detractors as a large group of racists stuck in the 1950s.

Rings of a Karl Rove-style hit parade.

#15 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

A lot of younger people have no idea how rare republicans were in the south 40-50 years ago or why it suddenly changed.

Before the Southern Strategy, finding a republican in North Carolina outside of Mecklenburg County was about as easy as finding a hen with teeth. No self respecting southerner would vote for the "Party of Lincoln". Republicans were primarily rich businessmen/bankers and transplanted yankees from the big city of Charlotte.

Didn't take long after civil rights legislation for the National Republicans to make inroads into a region that they had largely ignored since reconstruction.

My grandmother used to say that she'd vote for a yellow dog as long as it was a Democrat. Her kids changed their views with the Southern Strategy storm and always voted Republican

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com