Photo
- - - - -

The difference between Cam 2011 and Cam 2012...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Well that 5 seconds is good then. Because that means he is trying to stay in the pocket and be a pocket passer instead of trying to turn into someone like Vick was with the Falcons who always ran and couldnt throw at all. Yes on some plays he could decide to run quicker, but he was taught to be a pocket passer first. Also keep in mind he's scrambling too most of the time, because our line sucks, in those 5 seconds while trying to find a receiver.

Sure, it's not a positive or a negative, but it shows that he is holding onto the ball, in the pocket longer than all but two QBs in the league.

You know what, I can't be bothered with this anymore. Keep believing what you want to believe, even when there is information showing you a more balanced argument.

#32 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,041 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

What pocket?

#33 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

I do think that Cam takes longer than he should to make decisions, but he could get away with it a little bit if he had a solid offensive line. I think that it's fair to say that with how long it takes for him to make decisions -- with how bad our offensive line really is, it does hurt us a little bit. It's something that he will grow out of as he learns the game imo.

When your primary receivers all run patterns of which the majority are DOWNFIELD, it takes longer to make the decision and determine whether the receiver is open in his pattern.

#34 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,947 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Loads of fail in this post but I've bolded a complete factual error. On average Cam has 3.52 seconds in the pocket before he is sacked. That is the 11th longest in the league.

That statistic is flawed because though he may have on average more time to throw the ball than most other quarterback's, he averages over 7.9 yards per pass attempt, that means that the coaching staff is calling plays that require too much time to develop. Notice of the top six in this particular category 4 of the 6 are either elite or have all around good offensive line's, the other two have bad offensive lines that are made to look good because they can block on average of 3.5 seconds (Freeman and Newton).

#35 guyinchesapeake

guyinchesapeake

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

I'm starting to have some real worries about Cam. The parallels with Vince Young are uncanny. Young came out of Texas with a national championship and almost a Heisman, he was big, he was mobile, and he had an arm from Hell. He had some success his first year out. But he's a backup now in Buffalo. He didn't pan out. Cam benefited from the lockout before the start of last season, teams had little opportunity to prepare for him. That and the NFL's crackdown on hitting benefited everybody on offense in the league. Teams have now had a full year and camp to study him. While sophomore slumps are common among promising QBs, he's not showing improvement. And I question whether he has the maturity to become a true leader, which is what your QB HAS to be. Like many in the league, his antics after scoring a TD are those of a punk, he acts like he's never been there before. I do have hope that things can be turned around, for him and the team. But it's going to be a long hard road!

#36 mcdougal

mcdougal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

I'm starting to have some real worries about Cam. The parallels with Vince Young are uncanny. Young came out of Texas with a national championship and almost a Heisman, he was big, he was mobile, and he had an arm from Hell. He had some success his first year out. But he's a backup now in Buffalo. He didn't pan out. Cam benefited from the lockout before the start of last season, teams had little opportunity to prepare for him. That and the NFL's crackdown on hitting benefited everybody on offense in the league. Teams have now had a full year and camp to study him. While sophomore slumps are common among promising QBs, he's not showing improvement. And I question whether he has the maturity to become a true leader, which is what your QB HAS to be. Like many in the league, his antics after scoring a TD are those of a punk, he acts like he's never been there before. I do have hope that things can be turned around, for him and the team. But it's going to be a long hard road!

What does Newton have to do with a defense giving up 8 points in less than a minute?

#37 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

ayy lmao

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,123 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

more doctor phil armchair sports psychologist bullshit about cam's "leadership problems" and "antics". interesting that this post comes in the wake of cam actually being animated and involved with his teammates on the sidelines today.

the young/newton comparison doesn't work. young's rookie year was nowhere near as good as cam's (young had 12 TDs to 13 INTs for a 66.7 passer rating) and he's a much less polished passer than newton even now. not to mention that young completely melted down and fell to pieces in the face of less animosity than what cam is dealing with right now. then there's the issue of newton being coached by two of the most incompetent tools i've ever seen at the pro level.

#38 guyinchesapeake

guyinchesapeake

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

more doctor phil armchair sports psychologist bullshit about cam's "leadership problems" and "antics". interesting that this post comes in the wake of cam actually being animated and involved with his teammates on the sidelines today.

the young/newton comparison doesn't work. young's rookie year was nowhere near as good as cam's (young had 12 TDs to 13 INTs for a 66.7 passer rating) and he's a much less polished passer than newton even now. not to mention that young completely melted down and fell to pieces in the face of less animosity than what cam is dealing with right now. then there's the issue of newton being coached by two of the most incompetent tools i've ever seen at the pro level.

#39 guyinchesapeake

guyinchesapeake

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

Gee, so Cam became 'animated' with his teammates after all this time? Do tell. I won't argue about the coaching, but those coaches have to have something to work with. Your Monday morning QB rant doesn't hold up. Cam is NOT getting better! That is undeniable. Why that is only time will tell. Can he recover? I certainly hope so, but it will take less attention being devoted to acting like a punk every time he actually does something good and more towards what is necessary to live up to the promise he has shown. If you want to have a fit because some of us are pointing out the obvious, have at it. I do not care!

#40 guyinchesapeake

guyinchesapeake

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

What does Newton have to do with a defense giving up 8 points in less than a minute?

#41 guyinchesapeake

guyinchesapeake

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

Newton has nothing to do with that. BUT, this thread is about Cam Newton, not the defense, not the coaches, not anything else.

#42 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,620 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

There is blame to go around. First we should have kept Shockey .He was a target Cam liked throwing to.
Chud and his scheme.As good as it was last year it was horrible this year.This is the mystery of the year to me.Our OL regressed and then there were injuries.And the I feel Cams play has regressed especially in the accuracy of his passes

#43 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,620 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

Well he offense failed as well.We were making negative plays in a 4 minute offense which spells doom

#44 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

ayy lmao

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,123 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

Gee, so Cam became 'animated' with his teammates after all this time? Do tell. I won't argue about the coaching, but those coaches have to have something to work with. Your Monday morning QB rant doesn't hold up. Cam is NOT getting better! That is undeniable. Why that is only time will tell. Can he recover? I certainly hope so, but it will take less attention being devoted to acting like a punk every time he actually does something good and more towards what is necessary to live up to the promise he has shown. If you want to have a fit because some of us are pointing out the obvious, have at it. I do not care!

your supposition had a head on collision with facts and there were no survivors. sorry.

he undeniably got the ball out faster and made quicker decisions on sunday which is an improvement on probably the biggest thing that people here were ragging him for. i mean you watched the game, right? oddly your observations don't seem to align with anybody else's.

#45 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Cam is pressured on 33.3% of drop backs which is about 9th most in the league. 1 in 4 times Cam is pressured its a sack. Those sacks take on average 3.52 seconds to land.

It takes him on average 5.46 seconds to decide to scramble. That's the fourth longest time in the NFL.

It takes him on average 3.04 seconds to throw. That's the third longest time in the NFL.

Anyway you shape it, Cam is spending a long time in the pocket, no wonder the pressures are coming thick and fast. Whether it's the routes being run, the WRs not getting seperation, the OLine allowing quick pressure Cam needs to make quicker decisions. This isn't surprising, most young players struggle with quick decisions early in their career so it's not a huge concern.

If his WRs are covered well, scramble or throw it away. Pressure in his face? Check down. Routes taking a while to develop, then roll out the pocket and keep the opposing DLine guessing. Cam needs to make quicker decisions and that will help his porous OLine out.

Someone reads football outsiders

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com