Photo
- - - - -

The difference between Cam 2011 and Cam 2012...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#37 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

so this site thinks jerry jones is a good owner now i guess

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

I'm starting to have some real worries about Cam. The parallels with Vince Young are uncanny. Young came out of Texas with a national championship and almost a Heisman, he was big, he was mobile, and he had an arm from Hell. He had some success his first year out. But he's a backup now in Buffalo. He didn't pan out. Cam benefited from the lockout before the start of last season, teams had little opportunity to prepare for him. That and the NFL's crackdown on hitting benefited everybody on offense in the league. Teams have now had a full year and camp to study him. While sophomore slumps are common among promising QBs, he's not showing improvement. And I question whether he has the maturity to become a true leader, which is what your QB HAS to be. Like many in the league, his antics after scoring a TD are those of a punk, he acts like he's never been there before. I do have hope that things can be turned around, for him and the team. But it's going to be a long hard road!

more doctor phil armchair sports psychologist bullshit about cam's "leadership problems" and "antics". interesting that this post comes in the wake of cam actually being animated and involved with his teammates on the sidelines today.

the young/newton comparison doesn't work. young's rookie year was nowhere near as good as cam's (young had 12 TDs to 13 INTs for a 66.7 passer rating) and he's a much less polished passer than newton even now. not to mention that young completely melted down and fell to pieces in the face of less animosity than what cam is dealing with right now. then there's the issue of newton being coached by two of the most incompetent tools i've ever seen at the pro level.

#38 guyinchesapeake

guyinchesapeake

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

more doctor phil armchair sports psychologist bullshit about cam's "leadership problems" and "antics". interesting that this post comes in the wake of cam actually being animated and involved with his teammates on the sidelines today.

the young/newton comparison doesn't work. young's rookie year was nowhere near as good as cam's (young had 12 TDs to 13 INTs for a 66.7 passer rating) and he's a much less polished passer than newton even now. not to mention that young completely melted down and fell to pieces in the face of less animosity than what cam is dealing with right now. then there's the issue of newton being coached by two of the most incompetent tools i've ever seen at the pro level.

#39 guyinchesapeake

guyinchesapeake

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

Gee, so Cam became 'animated' with his teammates after all this time? Do tell. I won't argue about the coaching, but those coaches have to have something to work with. Your Monday morning QB rant doesn't hold up. Cam is NOT getting better! That is undeniable. Why that is only time will tell. Can he recover? I certainly hope so, but it will take less attention being devoted to acting like a punk every time he actually does something good and more towards what is necessary to live up to the promise he has shown. If you want to have a fit because some of us are pointing out the obvious, have at it. I do not care!

#40 guyinchesapeake

guyinchesapeake

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

What does Newton have to do with a defense giving up 8 points in less than a minute?

#41 guyinchesapeake

guyinchesapeake

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

Newton has nothing to do with that. BUT, this thread is about Cam Newton, not the defense, not the coaches, not anything else.

#42 jarhead

jarhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

There is blame to go around. First we should have kept Shockey .He was a target Cam liked throwing to.
Chud and his scheme.As good as it was last year it was horrible this year.This is the mystery of the year to me.Our OL regressed and then there were injuries.And the I feel Cams play has regressed especially in the accuracy of his passes

#43 jarhead

jarhead

HUDDLER

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

What does Newton have to do with a defense giving up 8 points in less than a minute?

Well he offense failed as well.We were making negative plays in a 4 minute offense which spells doom

#44 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

so this site thinks jerry jones is a good owner now i guess

SUPPORTER

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

Gee, so Cam became 'animated' with his teammates after all this time? Do tell. I won't argue about the coaching, but those coaches have to have something to work with. Your Monday morning QB rant doesn't hold up. Cam is NOT getting better! That is undeniable. Why that is only time will tell. Can he recover? I certainly hope so, but it will take less attention being devoted to acting like a punk every time he actually does something good and more towards what is necessary to live up to the promise he has shown. If you want to have a fit because some of us are pointing out the obvious, have at it. I do not care!

your supposition had a head on collision with facts and there were no survivors. sorry.

he undeniably got the ball out faster and made quicker decisions on sunday which is an improvement on probably the biggest thing that people here were ragging him for. i mean you watched the game, right? oddly your observations don't seem to align with anybody else's.

#45 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

HUDDLER

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Cam is pressured on 33.3% of drop backs which is about 9th most in the league. 1 in 4 times Cam is pressured its a sack. Those sacks take on average 3.52 seconds to land.

It takes him on average 5.46 seconds to decide to scramble. That's the fourth longest time in the NFL.

It takes him on average 3.04 seconds to throw. That's the third longest time in the NFL.

Anyway you shape it, Cam is spending a long time in the pocket, no wonder the pressures are coming thick and fast. Whether it's the routes being run, the WRs not getting seperation, the OLine allowing quick pressure Cam needs to make quicker decisions. This isn't surprising, most young players struggle with quick decisions early in their career so it's not a huge concern.

If his WRs are covered well, scramble or throw it away. Pressure in his face? Check down. Routes taking a while to develop, then roll out the pocket and keep the opposing DLine guessing. Cam needs to make quicker decisions and that will help his porous OLine out.

Someone reads football outsiders

#46 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Loads of fail in this post but I've bolded a complete factual error. On average Cam has 3.52 seconds in the pocket before he is sacked. That is the 11th longest in the league.

most of that can be attributed to the fact that almost every single passing play we run is designed to take like 18 minutes to develop

also we'd been running the option way too much. as a change of pace it is fine, but it's not something you run as a base offense in the nfl. it doesn't allow cam to commit to his arm to make plays

#47 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

Administrators

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Cam is a second year QB.
Saying he is a bust now is like saying he is a HOF after last season.

#48 HeatCheck

HeatCheck

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

I think you can point to a couple of things that have made a difference. Some out of Cam's control and some that you can point to Cam and wonder why he hasn't made strides.

I think coming in as a rookie on an awful team, Cam probably didn't feel too much pressure to win right away. He came and played loose and the numbers showed. He impressed many people in the way he actually stood in the pocket and was able to deliver the ball. He wasn't just a runner. But, one thing about last year that I noticed was that he wasn't afraid to run. He took off and was decisive when making the decision to run. But, again, he was successful throwing the ball as well. Although you saw several things that needed improving in the passing game, namely his footwork. His footwork was the cause of high throws and inaccurate passing when throwing off the back foot. But as a rookie you expected him to smooth those things out as the year and his career went along.

Coming into this year, there likely was more pressure on Cam. He had to back up his great rookie year and there was much higher expectations as far as team goals. I think this year, he has tried too hard to become that perfect pocket passer. Whether that's by coach's design or him, he doesn't take off as much when he should. He tries to stay in there and that usually will result in a sack or errant throw. His offensive line doesn't help but he has shown very little pocket awareness. There are plenty, and I mean plenty, of times where he can step up in the pocket and buy himself more time. You blame the OL for the lack of protection but you have to help them out a bit. Also, his footwork really hasn't seen much improvement. He still throws off his back foot. I think partly this is due to him being able to muster balls in there with his upper body strength. But, I think he needs to be able to make reads faster. It seems he's "late" when deciding where to throw and tries to fire it in there off his back foot. Again, you could point to the lack of separation created from the WRs but it's nice to have some touch every once and a while and "throw the WR open". And damn, Cam needs to learn how to throw the screen pass. He's so lackadaisical with it and it's inaccurate far too often.

I still think if we put a good team around him and he plays loose and free like he did his rookie season, he will be a successful QB. He will have to mature as a player and learn how to deal with adversity. Next season will be the the best opportunity to show that as he is coming off his "slump" and the team has failed to meet expectations.