Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Had been preparing for it for a while...putting my dog to sleep...

32 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I had been prepping for this for a long time, but it was still much harder than I ever thought possible.

I bought my dog when he was 6 weeks old, picked him out at 3, and put the deposit down. He was 40 days shy of his 11th birthday when I had to make that decision.

That dog never once got boarded, and never spent one night outdoors. He was a companion and friend to me for 1/3 of my life.

He went everywhere with me, either asleep in the back of my SUV or on the very tip of the bow of my boat.

His legs were failing him, and he had started to lose muscle mass this week....at least that's when you could start seeing it. Vet said that his heart was no longer strong enough to pump at a rate to keep him active, and the muscles were atrophying. I could keep him alive, but it would not be a great life, actually it would have been horrible for him, and selfishly I considered it.

I made the choice after laying on the vet office floor with him in my arms for about an hour. His eyes were telling me that he was tired, but would fight if I wanted him to.

I ran next door to the C Store and grabbed some chocolate and vienna sausages and he had a great last meal.

The vet came in with a sedative so he wouldn't be nervous when the poison was injected, and he and I laid together on the floor for another 15 minutes together. The sedative was making him calm, but he was still very awake. She came in with the needle and as she was prepping him to be able to inject I felt him stop breathing. The heart was so tired that all he needed was the sedative to let go.

He died in my arms, and never had to be given the poison.

I have never cried like that in my life.

Sorry for the rambling, he will be greatly missed.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

I'm sorry for your loss. That is such a sad story, but you did the right thing by your four legged friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Good story.

Just discussing finally getting a dog last night. Will you get a new one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Man thats horrible for you but you made the right choice for him........I know one day I am going to face the same thing so your story its home for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Sorry for the loss.

Been there and done that.

There truly part of the family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Good story.

Just discussing finally getting a dog last night. Will you get a new one?

I will, but not for a long time. Has more to do with my work schedule, and big things going on in my life rather than just the dog.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Sucks man my folks did it a week ago. She was a part of the family. Sorry for your loss :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

sorry to hear it....they always become such a big part of the family..always tough to say goodbye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

It is a very hard thing to do... had to do that with our dachsund that we'd had for 14 years in 2006.

I too cried like a baby, and I still miss her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Sorry for your loss fuzz. Just keep remembering the years of love and companionship that you two had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

sorry man for your loss, I teared up reading your post,.. I never want to experience that pain again but what do I do get another dog and enjoy the 10-15 years I can with him.

It took me a year to get over my weim's death they said it would be easy but I still miss my boy and talk to his urn all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post

Sorry for your loss. Any of us that have had pets that were more than pets - that were family - know what youre going through. All the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites