#46 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Yup. What of it?

just making a joke.... wanna fight about it?

#47 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,144 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

well i'm a little disappointing in the turnout i got when i posted it on facebook. i have a handful of brainwashed rabid republican attack dogs who exert this weird pavlovian reaction to anything that remotely resembles an antithesis to their narrow glen-beck-shaped paradigms but none of them are biting.

actually the response here has been underwhelming too. i guess this one's been in circulation for too long

I think the response is underwhelming because it's a pretty well articulated cartoon and there isn't much to say about it. If there was a glaring flaw, people would be tearing it apart. I would count people's quietness as a victory for getting your point across.

#48 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Rodeo's real name: Navin Johnson

#49 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,144 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Isn't revealing personal information against forum rules?

#50 logic1977

logic1977

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

I can't believe I'm saying this but g5 made a good point.

If you grant that blacks in America were handicapped due to slavery and then institutional racism afterwards. (And I certainly would)

At what point do you agree enough time has gone by and enough help has been granted to say no special assistance is needed?

#51 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

I think the response is underwhelming because it's a pretty well articulated cartoon and there isn't much to say about it. If there was a glaring flaw, people would be tearing it apart. I would count people's quietness as a victory for getting your point across.

The cartoon is too simplistic and appeals to a very selective view of reality.

Like I said...what's the time period in which help is required. Is this a perpetual feeling of entitlement that we should all support for the sins of those of the past? What do you tell the hispanic immigrants that do make it and succeed and you show them this cartoon. What do you tell Indian (India) immigrants that see it. Asians.

I'm sure the cartoonist loved the liberal accolades he got from it, but it does nothing more than appeal to liberal apologists for social policies that have actually destroyed the black family.

#52 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

I can't believe I'm saying this but g5 made a good point.

If you grant that blacks in America were handicapped due to slavery and then institutional racism afterwards. (And I certainly would)

At what point do you agree enough time has gone by and enough help has been granted to say no special assistance is needed?

When they stop having elections.

#53 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,141 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Replace the black guy with the middle class.
Replace the white guy with the .1%'ers.
Cartoon is now correct.

#54 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

I just ask...when is the expiration date on helping. I'll gladly help knowing there's an end point to an individual's problems. If you're telling me we're to accept the fact that it's to be generational and never-ending, there's going to be a problem with that asking that of people that had absolutely nothing to do with it.

What's the expiration date on young black guys getting pulled over & searched because other black guys commit crimes? What's the expiration date on assuming a black guy with a free ride to college got it through athletics or race based scholarships? What is the expiration date on demanding a long form birth certificate from a black guy?

I ask because I have a son & I'm pretty sure the one drop rule will return 5-6 years after Obama's term is up.

#55 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

What's the expiration date on young black guys getting pulled over & searched because other black guys commit crimes? What's the expiration date on assuming a black guy with a free ride to college got it through athletics or race based scholarships? What is the expiration date on demanding a long form birth certificate from a black guy?

I ask because I have a son & I'm pretty sure the one drop rule will return 5-6 years after Obama's term is up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I don't even know what a one drop rule is...

#56 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I don't even know what a one drop rule is...

Nor do you know what a strawman is.

Or are you saying your point wasn't "Ok, blacks have been screwed over but at what point do we agree that we are on equal footing & they no longer need a hand? Because it's not fair to hold someone responsible for something they had nothing to do with."?

#57 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Where are the native Americans in that cartoon?

#58 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,698 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Like I said...what's the time period in which help is required. Is this a perpetual feeling of entitlement that we should all support for the sins of those of the past?

valid question, and honestly i don't know the answer. it's a complicated discussion for many reasons. understand, though, that centuries of inherited poverty is a tough thing to overcome at the drop of a hat, and there is plenty of evidence that society is still easier for a white person to succeed in than a black person (when you take into account the socio-economic brackets invariably tied to both.)

#59 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Nor do you know what a strawman is.

Or are you saying your point wasn't "Ok, blacks have been screwed over but at what point do we agree that we are on equal footing & they no longer need a hand? Because it's not fair to hold someone responsible for something they had nothing to do with."?

I simply started out by asking what would be the time period and/or the measure by which we can say that all race-based concessions be ended.

#60 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,698 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

i friend of mine made the following point, which i thought was well-said and worth sharing:

I believe the most fundamental solution requires people believing and acting as if all their fellow people are of equal potential but not equal opportunity. Part of that is recognizing that racism and other forms of discrimination do occur and can be nuanced, subtle, and unintentional. We also need to stop treating groups like monoliths, like all hispanic voters or all women voters; no person is so simple that they can be defined by one term. It is often useful or convenient, and sometimes necessary to operate based on assumptions, but this is always risky, especially when meeting or dealing with strangers. Recognize that if you think a hispanic person won't speak english well while shopping at a store, you could look like an idiot trying sound out everything and offend them.

Affirmative action is a hacksaw approach when a scalpel is needed, but it is one of the most pragmatic ways to break the cycle of inherited inequality. If your parents or grandparents were disadvantaged for unjust or unconstitutional reasons, your own opportunities are often limited by that. If I were to simplify this issue into a cartoon; I would show an unbalanced scale that has just had the unequal weight removed from one side but still has the same angle; it takes a counterweight to undo the inertia of inequality (this is not a perfect metaphor). There are also other reasons groups may choose to employ affirmative action methods, such as the value of a diverse student body. Just as important are members of disadvantaged groups who have achieved some success or influence advocating for those with whom they can uniquely identify. Dan Savage starting the "It Gets Better" campaign for gay adolescents would be a great example of this.

We can also make the most impact against inherited inequality by targeting the most disadvantaged and most disenfranchised today, regardless of their demographic reality and history; if we focus on the poorest parts of our citizenry, or where our schools are struggling the most, we are helping a certain amount of people suffering from inherited inequality. What I'm trying to say with this is that if your parents were discriminated against, but you were able to be successful, then you don't need intervention to make your situation fair and equal; you were able to do it yourself in the freedom of our economy/society. Many are newly disadvantaged or disadvantaged in ways we don't yet recognize, and by providing social programs, reforming education, and direct charity, we are picking up the slack that our history has left us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.