117 replies to this topic

#61 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,338 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

valid question, and honestly i don't know the answer. it's a complicated discussion for many reasons. understand, though, that centuries of inherited poverty is a tough thing to overcome at the drop of a hat, and there is plenty of evidence that society is still easier for a white person to succeed in than a black person (when you take into account the socio-economic brackets invariably tied to both.

How do you know you've ever fixed a problem if you never define what that fix would look like?

#62 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,081 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Replace the black guy with the middle class.
Replace the white guy with the .1%'ers.
Cartoon is now correct.

you forgot "disregard all studies which indicate that white people experience privilege across all socioeconomic levels, such as the one that indicates that white felons are more likely to be hired for a position than a black person with no criminal record (http://ac360.blogs.c...ances-for-hire/)"

#63 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,081 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

How do you know you've ever fixed a problem if you never define what that fix would look like?

black people are more likely to be arrested (if they live in new york, they're 9 times as likely to be stopped and frisked as white people, but statistically less likely to be carrying drugs/weapons), more likely to be convicted, more likely to be given longer sentences, more likely to be given the death penalty, more likely to be born into poverty, more likely to live in poverty (rate 3 times that of white people), more likely to be unemployed (rate twice that of the national average), etc, etc, etc

so, want me to define what a fix would look like? once none of the above is relevant to modern-day america, things may not be totally *fixed*, but it would be quite a fuging start

#64 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

I simply started out by asking what would be the time period and/or the measure by which we can say that all race-based concessions be ended.

& I pointed out that with poo like I mentioned going on, it ain't now & until we leave crap like that behind it's not going to be, because it slants the field against me & more importantly my son.

#65 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

sometimes people just need to understand that maybe others don't like them or trust them or whatever else because of who they are, not what they are!

this is a huge issue in my opinion and racism will never go away as long as it exists.

#66 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

the other issue is that many whites seem to believe that by somehow acknowledging racism they are devaluing their own experience and their own work... which is why largely you see such an emotional response by white men particularly to charges of racism and sexism... it's not that people don't actually believe (logically) that it exists, I think they feel subconsciously that by acknowledging it they devalue themselves and by default, attribute their own successes to something horrible that they don't knowingly have anything to do with... the fact that said system might be oppressive makes it even harder to accept... or even consider. consequently you have people constantly trying to reframe the argument, i.e. reverse racism, microcosmic racism, classism etc. For most people, I don't think it's actually about devaluing another person's experience as much as it is about protecting their own...

not speaking of anyone in particular around here... just something I've noticed.

#67 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,464 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

you forgot "disregard all studies which indicate that white people experience privilege across all socioeconomic levels, such as the one that indicates that white felons are more likely to be hired for a position than a black person with no criminal record (http://ac360.blogs.c...ances-for-hire/)"

You assume way to much about way too many things my friend.

#68 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,081 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

You assume way to much about way too many things my friend.

what is the assumption here? that institutional racism exists?

#69 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,464 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

My comment was referring to my belief that the Extreme upper class pushes down the Middle/Lower class much more than Whites have/do push down blacks.

I do not deny that racism exisits.
I do not believe it is as rampant as people suggest.
I believe it is ingrained in all cultures.

Want to see some intense racism? Go to China/Japan/Korea and ask them about each other and whites/blacks.

#70 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,081 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

i agree that the 1 percent oppresses the middle and lower classes; my problem is that minorities suffer doubly (this is reflected in all relevant data), both from the rich and from institutional racism, but middle class whites don't rally around them because my privilege :( :( :(

#71 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

I grew up and went to school in prodominatly black neighborhoods nearly all of my life. Being a racist would be illogical. But i have never minded telling that white people did not go to the jungles of Africa and pull out black people. They were bought from blacks who breed these people by class and in captivity. And the sad part isthat it still goes on there today. but no one cares. They would rather beat the 400 yr old dead horse of American slavery. Which brings me to the point that we were the first and nearly only nation to ban slavery. You will never make it to the future if you cannot let go of the past. besides how many white people back then are still alive today? So I tired of being told I am racist and have alternate freedoms from the rest of you cause I'm white. I say "you don't know what being white is like and you have no idea what my motivations in this world are." I've got news for ya, there are bad apples in every bunch. so instead of constantly pointing out others differences maybe we should all take a long look in the mirror and ask ourselves, " What makes me so righteous to judge others?"

#72 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Like we've said, go live in China or any other country in the world, then come back here and bitch about racism when African Americans have it far better here than anywhere else in the world.

Does that mean we've conquered racism? Of course not. It will never be conquered. But as g5 points out this limitless credit card/race card is a bunch of crap. Twenty or even ten years ago black people would have said "I'll be satisfied when a black man actually has a chance to be president of the United States." How many times can you move the goalposts before the kicker gets tired of it?

#73 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,841 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

i agree that the 1 percent oppresses the middle and lower classes; my problem is that minorities suffer doubly (this is reflected in all relevant data), both from the rich and from institutional racism, but middle class whites don't rally around them because my privilege :( :( :(

I don't disagree with this but it is changing. We are not there yet, but the amount of racism, both overt and hidden is going down. We are a long way from where we were even 20 years ago, but yes, we have a long way to go.

The only way to change it is to make a personal effort to do so. My kids do not see skin color. We have intentionally placed them in schools where there is a balance of races and I go out of my way to talk about racism with them.

...and yes Cantrell. I do in fact have black friends.

#74 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

i love how we've disregarded non-white people that have come from outside the country with respect to their success for the purposes of this enlightened discussion.

i also love how we've disregarded the existence of poor white people to keep that brushstroke broad.

thank you for making us smaller minded with your presentation of a perpetuated delusion of helplessness (especially when compared to anyone else outside a first world nation that would GLADLY trade places with any of us for the opportunities that we take for granted).

Good point. There are white people that get treated badly because of class too. The problem goes beyond spectrum.

My parents were immigrants who became business owners. They weren't super rich by any means. They just took their destiny into their own hands. They don't teach that in school. They teach us to be dependent.

There are blacks and whites that could have taken advantage of what America can offer but have no idea because they were taught that you had to go through life begging for work or living on welfare.

Nobody says to them "Hey, you can start a business to provide for yourself and your family." all that is presented to them is a life of servitude and student loans to pay off with no promise of success.

This all goes back to the bad programing that I mentioned earlier.

#75 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

I grew up and went to school in prodominatly black neighborhoods nearly all of my life. Being a racist would be illogical. But i have never minded telling that white people did not go to the jungles of Africa and pull out black people. They were bought from blacks who breed these people by class and in captivity. And the sad part isthat it still goes on there today. but no one cares. They would rather beat the 400 yr old dead horse of American slavery. Which brings me to the point that we were the first and nearly only nation to ban slavery. You will never make it to the future if you cannot let go of the past. besides how many white people back then are still alive today? So I tired of being told I am racist and have alternate freedoms from the rest of you cause I'm white. I say "you don't know what being white is like and you have no idea what my motivations in this world are." I've got news for ya, there are bad apples in every bunch. so instead of constantly pointing out others differences maybe we should all take a long look in the mirror and ask ourselves, " What makes me so righteous to judge others?"

1. these people were not bred for slavery in africa. europeans/americans did not go into the jungles of africa and pull out africans, they paid other africans to do it for them... I'm not sure how you conclude that this somehow excludes them from critique.

2. The US was one of the last of many nations to ban slavery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com